SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

What do you all think about the Hawks?

Do you think they'll remain #4 in the standings? What about their playoff chances (meaning how well do you think they'll do in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure they'll make the playoffs)?

Quite honestly, I think they're still very young and they are lacking in goal.

Heh... a younger version of the Red Wings. :glare:

The only difference is that Osgood has his name on the Cup 3 times. And he was dominant last year. Now he sucks hardcore. Hell, even Turco has recovered to a point of being somewhat respectable. Osgood still blows chunks.

Conklin isn't meant to be the go-to Goalie. He's, imo, become one of the premier backup goaltenders in the NHL, but that's about it. He's very reliable in relief and to give a #1 a day or two off, but not in the capacity Detroit is reliant upon him for.

Oh well, I say give Osgood Game 1 of the playoffs and if Detroit wins and Osgood gives up 3 or less goals, let Osgood play game 2. Then reevaluate. When Osgood gives up 4 or more goals and/or loses a game, put Conklin in.

What do you all think about the Hawks?

Do you think they'll remain #4 in the standings? What about their playoff chances (meaning how well do you think they'll do in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure they'll make the playoffs)?

Quite honestly, I think they're still very young and they are lacking in goal.

Heh... a younger version of the Red Wings. :lol:

The only difference is that Osgood has his name on the Cup 3 times. And he was dominant last year. Now he sucks hardcore. Hell, even Turco has recovered to a point of being somewhat respectable. Osgood still blows chunks.

Conklin isn't meant to be the go-to Goalie. He's, imo, become one of the premier backup goaltenders in the NHL, but that's about it. He's very reliable in relief and to give a #1 a day or two off, but not in the capacity Detroit is reliant upon him for.

Oh well, I say give Osgood Game 1 of the playoffs and if Detroit wins and Osgood gives up 3 or less goals, let Osgood play game 2. Then reevaluate. When Osgood gives up 4 or more goals and/or loses a game, put Conklin in.

Put an average goaltender behind that Hawks team and they are a final-four team ... conference finals. As is, I think they are no better than 50-50 to win that first round series, and a second round is unlikely. If they can get into the depth of the playoffs, all those young legs get to be an advantage, but I don't see it happening.

That said, I like New Jersey and Detroit at this junction. Mix of veterans and young legs, proven goaltending, balanced scoring, good checking line.

Put an average goaltender behind that Hawks team and they are a final-four team ... conference finals. As is, I think they are no better than 50-50 to win that first round series, and a second round is unlikely. If they can get into the depth of the playoffs, all those young legs get to be an advantage, but I don't see it happening.

That said, I like New Jersey and Detroit at this junction. Mix of veterans and young legs, proven goaltending, balanced scoring, good checking line.

Frustrating to think that Khabibulin has the ability to be the guy in Chicago but hasn't done it. Huet has made some dazzling saves but sometimes I wonder if it isn't just sheer luck with some of the dud goals he's given up, often in the same game.

As for Detroit, you're right.... on paper. Osgood has been downright scary bad this year. At one point (and it may still be) he had worse numbers than Turco, and that's saying something

Last night T.J had the sickest hit against Dustin Brown of the L.A. Kings. I believe Dustin Brown is always one of the leading hitters in the game, it was highlight of a hit for sure. T.J just smiles after the hit. It was awesome!

Yeah, and Jack MF Johnson took exception to that hit and went after Osh. He also collided with Greene and got the best of him too. Classic TJ for sure.

I'll throw my two cents in as I am a diehard, yet honest Hawks fan. Hawks getting through the 2nd is unlikely, there has to be a ton of upsets, i.e. two of the top three go down for us to make it any further.

Yeah, and Jack MF Johnson took exception to that hit and went after Osh. He also collided with Greene and got the best of him too. Classic TJ for sure.

The hit on Greene was more impressive to me, because Greene was the one initiating the hit. TJ not only stood him up but knocked him down. I could not believe what I saw.

The hit on Greene was more impressive to me, because Greene was the one initiating the hit. TJ not only stood him up but knocked him down. I could not believe what I saw.

that was bad ass, the osh and the blues are creeping up on a playoff spot. great for them! the osh has been tearing it up

IS there any video of that hit, it would be nice to see it. Anyone else getting sick of people that want to fight after they are hit with a legal check.

That one bugs me. I would put my money on Oshie.

Also for all you Sioux fans check out the Hawks website, specifically Blackhawks TV. They have Toews talking the other day about the Sioux and the tournament. Kinda feel he still has a little bit of him that still wants to play for the Sioux.

Probably so but Money talks and I don't fault him for taking the money, wish he was still here. Now Toews is a house hold name in the NHL.

Also for all you Sioux fans check out the Hawks website, specifically Blackhawks TV. They have Toews talking the other day about the Sioux and the tournament. Kinda feel he still has a little bit of him that still wants to play for the Sioux.

ahhhhhhh, i think you're reaching there.

I'll throw my two cents in as I am a diehard, yet honest Hawks fan. Hawks getting through the 2nd is unlikely, there has to be a ton of upsets, i.e. two of the top three go down for us to make it any further.

Doesn't it suck knowing exactly what is going to go down before it happens?

I mean... I just can't see the Hawks going beyond round 2 either! And it's going to be inexperience and poor goaltending that ends the ride.

As for STL making the playoffs.... I'd laugh SO HARD.

Why? Because to do so would basically mean leapfrogging Minnesota and Columbus. In my opinion, Edmonton, Minny, Columbus, and STL are all fighting to be first round exits.

Sometimes I wonder if it is really worth it? If I were Minny, I'd try to experiment to bring ANY kind of offense to the team and defense be damned. If they lose, they lose. If they find something that works, great! Lemaire has nothing to lose anyway. He has almost nothing to work with thanks to DR's blindness.

If anyone of the four is the most dangerous, it's Columbus. They have a good young goaltender and some offense. The last time a team had that kind of look was the Carolina team that won it all. Now, I don't think Columbus will win it all. However, NHL Network and ESPN would have strokes if they did. :D

However, I think they have the most dynamic and balanced team of the four. STL would be the second. Minny's still got incredible defense. I don't think Edmonton will hold on. They don't have much of anything.

Was it a game against Mankato where Oshie scored an almost identical goal, where he just hung on to the puck until the goalie committed, then once he was by the goalie just put it in the empty net?

I remember that one too. Very similar.

Oshie was a really fun player to watch at UND. Seems he didn't lose that trait with the Blues. :D

What an insane game by T.J. If he didn't get hurt earlier in the year, I think he would be a serious candidate for rookie of the year. St. Louis is going to love him for years to come, he plays the game with so much passion and energy. I was reading an article on the blues forums and it said that Oshie's jerseys have sold more then any other blues players on the team, if true that is pretty awesome. I really want the blues to make the playoffs, while they might not when in the first round, at least they are entertaining with players like oshie, berglund and backes. Columbus, Edmonton, and Minnesota are a snooze fest to watch, let's hope the blues get that last playoff spot!

A great article out of St Louis: Blues Rev Up, Stay In Chase

Surprisingly, few players said they heard the chant of "WE WANT PLAYOFFS," but they admitted hearing another cheer.

"I heard, 'O-SHIE! O-SHIE!' Perron said.

But there was one player, Oshie, who earned the praise of the crowd. After missing the morning practice with an illness, Oshie dazzled the crowd with a highlight-reel goal, an assist and a number of hard hits.

With the Blues trailing 1-0, Oshie took a pass off the side boards from Perron, and feathered his way into the offensive zone. Oshie deked past defenseman Mattias Ohlund and then waited and waited for Luongo to make a move.

When Luongo lunged out of the crease, Oshie whizzed a shot to the rooftop of an open net, electrifying the crowd as he tied the score 1-1 with his 12th goal of the season just 3:03 into the second period.

"I did that move in college," Oshie said. "I just waited out Luongo and it worked out."

The Blues took control in the third period, and the crowd took over the building.

"O-SHIE! O-SHIE!"

"That's unreal," he said. "It's one of those things, when you're younger, you imagine the crowd screaming your name. For it to happen my first year, it's something else."