SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

You never know with a guy like Vande...also, maybe a guy like Frats or Gregoire? You just never know when the money is in front of them. Other than those 3, I don't see much chance of anyone leaving at all...and the ones I mentioned are slim in my opinion.

Seeing it written like that in January just confirms (for me) my suspicions that, while we not-in-the-know kick it around, sometimes agonizingly, from March to August, the coaches have a pretty good idea all along where people will be the next season. There may be some truly 50/50 situations, but usually the parent club, family advisor, player and coaches have maintained a dialog of some kind during the season.

Just a guess, but the names I would worry about would be Vandy and Genoway.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You never know with a guy like Vande...also, maybe a guy like Frats or Gregoire? You just never know when the money is in front of them. Other than those 3, I don't see much chance of anyone leaving at all...and the ones I mentioned are slim in my opinion.

Maybe Vandy but I would think all three are going to need to pick it up a bit if they are going to make the jump.

Seeing it written like that in January just confirms (for me) my suspicions that, while we not-in-the-know kick it around, sometimes agonizingly, from March to August, the coaches have a pretty good idea all along where people will be the next season. There may be some truly 50/50 situations, but usually the parent club, family advisor, player and coaches have maintained a dialog of some kind during the season.

Just a guess, but the names I would worry about would be Vandy and Genoway.

This kid is a forward so it would probably have to be a forward. It will be interesting to see what happens.

In this article Corban Knight says he was told some players might turn pro this summer for the Sioux. Anyone know who?

http://www.highrivertimes.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1396455

Do you honestly think the coaches would tell a recruit that we don't think anyone is leaving early next season so you won't be coming in until 2010. If you want to land him you give him some hope and point out the track record of players jumping to the Pros early. The coaches obviously used the word might, and if your aunt had a beard she might be your uncle.

Do you honestly think the coaches would tell a recruit that we don't think anyone is leaving early next season so you won't be coming in until 2010. If you want to land him you give him some hope and point out the track record of players jumping to the Pros early. The coaches obviously used the word might, and if your aunt had a beard she might be your uncle.

I see where you are coming from and understand what you are saying...but didn't we have enough forwards for '09 already assuming everyone stayed...?

The only one who's a threat to leave early is Vandevelde. I believe we had room for one more forward prior to Knight committing, and there are a couple who could wait to come until 2010, but then with only 3 juniors this year the 2010 class would appear to be rather small. Frats and Gregoire are not going to leave after this year, unless they want to spend a few years in the AHL. They're not high enough of the teams that drafted them's lists... so Vandy's the only threat to leave early in my opinion, and I really don't think he will... but you really never know.

I see where you are coming from and understand what you are saying...but didn't we have enough forwards for '09 already assuming everyone stayed...?

They do have enough so the only hope the kid has for 09 is if there are any forwards who might leave early. I am sure the kid realizes that the odds are probably better that he plays another season in Grand Prairie.

The only one who's a threat to leave early is Vandevelde. I believe we had room for one more forward prior to Knight committing, and there are a couple who could wait to come until 2010, but then with only 3 juniors this year the 2010 class would appear to be rather small. Frats and Gregoire are not going to leave after this year, unless they want to spend a few years in the AHL. They're not high enough of the teams that drafted them's lists... so Vandy's the only threat to leave early in my opinion, and I really don't think he will... but you really never know.

vv isnt going anywhere. not even a threat but like you say you neevr know but plan on having all underclass men coming back. plan on just replacing the seniours as posted a page back

a buddy of mine and i see it like this with no early departures - just a ist of guys leaving and guys coming in - not a comparison list

Miller-Cichy

Duncan-Kristo

Martens-Bruneteau

Kozek-Mattson

Watkins-Knight

Finley-MacWilliams

Jones-Gleason

walski - whoever

vv isnt going anywhere. not even a threat but like you say you neevr know but plan on having all underclass men coming back. plan on just replacing the seniours as posted a page back

a buddy of mine and i see it like this with no early departures - just a ist of guys leaving and guys coming in - not a comparison list

Miller-Cichy

Duncan-Kristo

Martens-Bruneteau

Kozek-Mattson

Watkins-Knight

Finley-MacWilliams

Jones-Gleason

walski - whoever

I would speculate that they are going to push one of the forwards (Knight) into 2010. A. that would help even out the classes a little better. B. It leaves two forwards and one defensemen as healthy scratches next year.

vv isnt going anywhere. not even a threat but like you say you neevr know but plan on having all underclass men coming back.

I would have put VV as a potential early departure prior to this season, but seeing how the season has played out, I would think his chances of leaving early have lessened a bit.

He has still had a very good season, but I think another year of collegiate play could really push him to be a dominant power forward in the WCHA.

The only other player that I could see being mentioned would be Genoway, but due to his size, I see him sticking around for his senior season as well.

I agree with AZSIOUX that we could see very few (or no) early departures this upcoming offseason.

I would have put VV as a potential early departure prior to this season, but seeing how the season has played out, I would think his chances of leaving early have lessened a bit.

He has still had a very good season, but I think another year of collegiate play could really push him to be a dominant power forward in the WCHA.

The only other player that I could see being mentioned would be Genoway, but due to his size, I see him sticking around for his senior season as well.

I agree with AZSIOUX that we could see very few (or no) early departures this upcoming offseason.

VV is heating up and I think he has a chance of going but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed.

VV is heating up and I think he has a chance of going but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed.

i wouldnt call 1 goal and 1 assit in the sioux last 4 games heating up by any means but i hear ya as hes playing good hockey. the 3 goals and 1 assist vs bemidji that weekend was great though. this team wont have any departures and it could be like thepost above where they bring in 1 less forward to have 2 healthy scratches on forward and 1 on D every night. go sioux

i wouldnt call 1 goal and 1 assit in the sioux last 4 games heating up by any means but i hear ya as hes playing good hockey. the 3 goals and 1 assist vs bemidji that weekend was great though. this team wont have any departures and it could be like thepost above where they bring in 1 less forward to have 2 healthy scratches on forward and 1 on D every night. go sioux

I thought he has more points against Minny. oopps I guess my head cold is getting to my brain. :)

Its almost slightly ridiculous that 43 points in 14 games is only good for 7th place in state scoring. Some of these games must be extremely one-sided.

yeah that leader in points found here below plays for a team that plays nobody i guess so he may break the state record if he continues it.

go down a little to the right on this page and you can find scoring leaders

http://www.followthepuck.com/

ANDREW MACWILLIAM - D - Camrose - AJHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Toronto, 7th Rd, #188

NICK MATTSON - D - NTDP U18

DANNY MATTSON - F - Holy Angels - HS

MIKE FINK - F - Waterloo - USHL

JOE GLEASON - D - Des Moines - USHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Chicago, 7th Rd, #192

BRETT BRUNETEAU - F - Des Moines - USHL - 2007 Draft pick of Washington, 4th Rd, #108

MIKE CICHY - F - Indiana - USHL

DANNY KRISTO - F - Omaha - USHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Montreal, 2nd Rd, #56

DEREK FORBORT - D - Duluth East - HS

MATT WHITE - F - Des Moines - USHL

MICHAEL PARKS - F - St. Louis Selects - Midget

CORBAN KNIGHT - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Winnipeg Wild - Midget

CARTER ROWNEY - F - Grand Prairie Storm - AJHL

USHL wed games

WHITE - 1 goal in loss

GLEASON - 1 shot in loss and was even

BRUNETEAU - 2 PIM and -1 in loss

FINK - 1 assist in loss

AJHL UPDATE

KNIGHT - last games - sat,1 goal and 4 pim in win, no stats and E in loss tuesday---tied for 12th in AJHL with 51 points,only rookie in top 17 leaders

ROWNEY - last games - sat, 3 assists in win,tuesday no points and E in loss---5th in AJHL with 58 points (leader at 70)

MACWILLIAM - last games - sat, no stats but even(+/-) in game, tuesday 1 goal and 1 assist in win---178 PIM is good for 7th most in AJHL (leader at 245 :) )

cichy 2 more goals in a loss last night

danny mattson 2-2=4 pts in 11-0 friday win

http://www.followthepuck.com/

17-30=47 pts in 15 games - tied for 5th in state scoring

rowney 1 assist in 3-2 loss friday

knight 1 assist in 5-3 loss to macwilliams oilers , macwilliam had 1 assist and 2 pim in the win