SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY

Scheduling alliance needed with Valley; Southland; Big Sky and CAA; avoid all this mess

This was tweeted from Dom Izzo in reguarding the scheduling woes of NDSU this year, what do UND fans think? I would like to see an alliance with those 3 other conferences. UND could play USD, Sam Houston State, and Stony Brook, or 2 of them plus 1 FBS team. It would make scheduling a lot easier and more affordable as prices for games keeps going up.

This was tweeted from Dom Izzo in reguarding the scheduling woes of NDSU this year, what do UND fans think? I would like to see an alliance with those 3 other conferences. UND could play USD, Sam Houston State, and Stony Brook, or 2 of them plus 1 FBS team. It would make scheduling a lot easier and more affordable as prices for games keeps going up.

Izzo sent this out to appease Taylor, who knows NDSU won't meet their scheduling desires. Taylor is fearful.

NDSU wouldn't have a scheduling issue if they just signed a home and home with UND.

Izzo sent this out to appease Taylor, who knows NDSU won't meet their scheduling desires. Taylor is fearful.

NDSU wouldn't have a scheduling issue if they just signed a home and home with UND.

Yeah and if my sister had balls she'd be my brother.

But also remember Idaho St screwed UND to and didn't replace it so they played a 10 game schedule. But should the BSC, MVFC, CAA, and SLC have an alliance.

But also remember Idaho St screwed UND to and didn't replace it so they played a 10 game schedule. But should the BSC, MVFC, CAA, and SLC have an alliance.

Are you sure that's accurate? The last year that UND played a 10 game schedule was 2008 and UND played at Idaho State that year. UND has played 11 games every year since then.

Are you sure that's accurate? The last year that UND played a 10 game schedule was 2008 and UND played at Idaho State that year. UND has played 11 games every year since then.

2009 ISU backed out of the game in GF and UND replaced the game with the Britney Spears concert. UND ended up with 5 home games. They must of replaced the game with a road game. It was USD that had 10 games during their GWFC days...my bad.

We don't need a "scheduling alliance" with anyone. We can play Big Sky schools in non-conference play like Portland St. last year and Montana this year. Just another benefit of Big Sky membership..........................

This isn't an ordinary non conference game, its the back end of a home and home.

This was tweeted from Dom Izzo in regarding the scheduling woes of NDSU this year, what do UND fans think? I would like to see an alliance with those 3 other conferences. UND could play USD, Sam Houston State, and Stony Brook, or 2 of them plus 1 FBS team. It would make scheduling a lot easier and more affordable as prices for games keeps going up.

I don't understand the alliance bit.. system works just fine. NDSU will need to up the buyout on home and home contracts. If teams buyout then they can afford to pay for another game. In this case, NDSU had offers from schools in fact I think a couple of schools called NDSU. But, NDSU did not want pay the asking price. So, NDSU had a choice of playing 10 games or 11 games. They went with 10 games. I don't get the NDSU victim rant.

Original buyout for the NDSU/MSU home and home contract was $50,000 - that is the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9220734/big-ten-schools-ok-realignment-9-game-schedule

"The league's athletic directors and presidents also approved a scheduling model that includes at least one team from a major FBS conference per year and no FCS teams. Delany hopes the model will be in place league-wide by 2016."

So much for getting a chance to play Minnesota, Wisconsin or even Nebraska.

From Jody Norstedt's twitter:

"More reax from Big 10 parting ways with FCS: #UND AD Brian Faison tells me he was in preliminary talks w/ Gophers about 2017 or 2018."

Is there a way all this will backfire in Barry Alverez's face? He is trying to make the B1G in a level above everyone else in all sports (even hockey) eventually it's going to come back and bite him in the ass.

Is there a way all this will backfire in Barry Alverez's face? He is trying to make the B1G in a level above everyone else in all sports (even hockey) eventually it's going to come back and bite him in the ass.

How so? The Big 10 is trying to ensure stronger schedules because that will be a criteria for the selection to their playoff.

This board goes crazy whenever a team from a lower division shows up on a North Dakota schedule. Why is it OK for a Big 10 school to schedule lower division schools and not us? :huh:

How so? The Big 10 is trying to ensure stronger schedules because that will be a criteria for the selection to their playoff.

This board goes crazy whenever a team from a lower division shows up on a North Dakota schedule. Why is it OK for a Big 10 school to schedule lower division schools and not us? :huh:

Correct me please aren't we (big 10 and UND) both DI? UND playing Minnesota counts as a DI win for playoffs (UND) and a for a bowl (Minn). UND playing DII doesn't count. Also look what Alverez did in hockey even Minnesota didnt want to go along but didn't have a choice.

How will teams like UM, IN, and Northwestern be able to afford to pay other FBS schools who demand upwards of $1 million for OOC games every year? Won't this just cost them more money and wins towards bowl eligibility? These teams have no shot at the BCS playoff anyway so why would they be so concerned with SOS?

If this happens, I could see the rivalry with NDSU renewed on a yearly basis!

The B1G needs every conference to follow their lead or they just drove up the asking price from the MAC, MWC and Conference USA. Those teams now know they can name a price cause B1G teams have publically stated they have no other options.

Division 1

Correct me please aren't we (big 10 and UND) both DI? UND playing Minnesota counts as a DI win for playoffs (UND) and a for a bowl (Minn). UND playing DII doesn't count. Also look what Alverez did in hockey even Minnesota didnt want to go along but didn't have a choice.

So if the last of 4 playoff spots is between an 11-1 Big 10 team that has a win over a 63 scholarship FCS team, and an 11-1 PAC 12 team that has a win over a Mountain West or Sun Belt team, who gets that last spot?

I understand that both FBS and FCS are DI, and that FCS counts toward bowl eligibility, but FCS is still a division below FBS. Games against Mountain West, Sun Belt, or MAC schools would be far less risky and look better on the resume.

So if the last of 4 playoff spots is between an 11-1 Big 10 team that has a win over a 63 scholarship FCS team, and an 11-1 PAC 12 team that has a win over a Mountain West or Sun Belt team, who gets that last spot?

I understand that both FBS and FCS are DI, and that FCS counts toward bowl eligibility, but FCS is still a division below FBS. Games against Mountain West, Sun Belt, or MAC schools would be far less risky and look better on the resume.

"It has nothing to do with strength of schedule. The Big 10 is scared of how competitive the FCS team are becoming".

- Gene Taylor

:silly: