SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

It is probably because those schools just happen to be playing the Montana schools in Root Sports' footprint.

1522194_741674182544170_1310752589_n.jpg

Obviously, having a UC-Davis and Northern Arizona home game in there is a positive sign for UND's chances if the team becomes a little more successful.

No NO NO!!!! You can not actually believe that it is actually a good thing that UND does not have a game on ROOT. Exposure is actually good for recruiting believe it or not.

Exposure is good for the program. And I would have liked to have seen UND get a game or two on Root for the good of the program. But there is a silver lining. Most fans can't actually watch the games if they're on Root (including me), but everyone can watch them when they're not on Root.

Given that UND is outside of Root's footprint, I suspect that the only time UND will be on Root is when they're playing one of the Montana schools. I'm not sure that UND's record plays that big of a role in the decision making.

2016 full, 2017 and 2018 needs 1 team for each year.

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – The Big Sky Conference sets future football schedules up into four-year blocks and league officials have released the next segment, which covers the 2016-19 seasons. The 2016 season will be the fifth for UND in its new conference home.

UND will play its two protected rivalry foes – Montana State and Northern Colorado – on the road in 2016 and 2018, while playing host to the Bobcats and Bears in 2017 and 2019. Those are the only two teams in the Big Sky that UND will play each season.

Teams that UND will play three times over the four-year span include Idaho State, Sacramento State, Southern Utah and Weber State. UND will play the remainder of its league foes twice. That grouping includes Cal Poly, Eastern Washington, Montana, Northern Arizona, Portland State and UC Davis.

Idaho fans had to be placated to show Idaho isn't on the schedule for Big Sky teams in those years. Of course, the conference schedule can be easily modified to include Idaho, but Vandal fans feel better now.

By 2019 the face of college football may look incredibly different.

2016 will be year #3 of Bubba Ball, and will be a favorable schedule as Montana and EWU are both absent from the schedule. I'm already calling it: North Dakota 2016 Big Sky Champions.

2016 Big Sky Conference Champions: A very pleasing, and quite realistic, prediction.

Likely will have a senior QB and veteran defense by then. Everything looks to be on the rise for UND football.

• 4 weeks later...

With more and more teams/conferences now coming out against playing FCS teams I hope the current group of FBS teams (Wyoming, Bowling Green, Utah, and Washington) honor their contracts and don't back out...especially Bowling Green. If Arkansas St thinks SOS is important for their chance to get into the "pretend" playoffs (like they have a shot in hell), why wouldn't Bowling Green and other MAC teams not mimic that theory. Florida is coming out against it, http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/83549/fcs-opponents-could-be-thing-of-the-past

If Florida coach Will Muschamp had it his way, the Gators would no longer play FCS teams.
I am sure more SEC teams will, that will leave the other 3 Super 5 conferences still playing, so when will that stop? UND has played (or will play) teams from 2 out of those 3 with TT of the Big 12, Utah and Washington of the PAC 12.

Should UND schedule an additional FBS game during one or two of the years ahead?

1. The payday would help the budget. Anywhere between $400,000 to a $1,000,000 could be the number.

2. The additional exposure would be beneficial.

3. If that extra FBS could be scheduled against someone where there is a reasonable chance to win the exposure goes up dramatically.

4. FBS can talk all they want about not wanting to schedule FCS teams, but if they are going to play 12 games per year they have to schedule those games with somebody.

5. NDSU gambled with that philosophy in 2006 with Ball State and Minnesota and in 2007 with Central Michigan and Minnesota.

It paid off for them they were 3-1 , but that was in the transition years without playoffs at stake.

6. Playing a reasonably stronger schedule is usually the hallmark of any successful program.

7. I had this discussion in Grand Forks the other day with a good friend with a UND background of support.

8. I would be interested in what the thoughts of Sioux Sports posters might be.

Should UND schedule an additional FBS game during one or two of the years ahead?

1. The payday would help the budget. Anywhere between $400,000 to a $1,000,000 could be the number.

3. If that extra FBS could be scheduled against someone where there is a reasonable chance to win the exposure goes up dramatically.

4. FBS can talk all they want about not wanting to schedule FCS teams, but if they are going to play 12 games per year they have to schedule those games with somebody.

5. NDSU gambled with that philosophy in 2006 with Ball State and Minnesota and in 2007 with Central Michigan and Minnesota.

It paid off for them they were 3-1 , but that was in the transition years without playoffs at stake.

6. Playing a reasonably stronger schedule is usually the hallmark of any successful program.

7. I had this discussion in Grand Forks the other day with a good friend with a UND background of support.

I think we should schedule one every year, as I think the advantages, such as exposure and a nice financial boost to the budget, outweigh the disadvantages, such as the threat of being blown out. Utah, Washington, etc., are fine, but I'd much rather see us schedule some Big 12 teams (closer to home than the Texas schools)..

I think we should schedule one every year, as I think the advantages, such as exposure and a nice financial boost to the budget, outweigh the disadvantages, such as the threat of being blown out. Utah, Washington, etc., are fine, but I'd much rather see us schedule some Big 12 teams (closer to home than the Texas schools)..

I would love to see Big 10 schools but they are too scared to play the FCS. It's not so much should we play the FBS (I think we should) it's will the FBS play us. If they (all FBS teams) ban playing the FCS it could kill the teams that financially need it like the Idaho States and Northern Colorados.

I would love to see Big 10 schools but they are too scared to play the FCS. It's not so much should we play the FBS (I think we should) it's will the FBS play us. If they (all FBS teams) ban playing the FCS it could kill the teams that financially need it like the Idaho States and Northern Colorados.

Item # 4 post # 2293. There are currently 11, maybe more, FBS teams looking for games on one September weekend alone in 2015. Not scheduling FCS might make sense in theory, but it may not work in practice,

2 FBS games in one season? No. That's a recipe for failure and is primarily employed by schools facing a budget crisis.

• Upvote 2

2 FBS games in one season? No. That's a recipe for failure and is primarily employed by schools facing a budget crisis.

I agree, UND did that during transition only to fill the schedule. Now it wouldn't be good.

• Upvote 1

I agree, UND did that during transition only to fill the schedule. Now it wouldn't be good.

You are correct. In 2010 UND played FBS Idaho and Northern Illinois and in 2011 it was Idaho and Fresno State. Actually UND had their best efforts against Northern Illinois and Fresno State, historically the better programs than Idaho. Football can be a funny game.

• Upvote 1

NCHC is legit. We get shafted because we get no games for football and should get a higher percentage of the contracted games for hockey.

The NCHC is made up of schools that play great hockey, but nobody can ever tell me that UND's two greatest traditional hockey rivalries weren't Minnesota and Wisconsin. Games will sporadically continue, but unless all three are in the same league it will never quite be the same. :crazy:

The NCHC is made up of schools that play great hockey, but nobody can ever tell me that UND's two greatest traditional hockey rivalries weren't Minnesota and Wisconsin. Games will sporadically continue, but unless all three are in the same league it will never quite be the same. :crazy:

Sporadically or yearly? Because they will be playing one of the two for the next 4-6 years. Not as often as previously, but they will be on the schedule.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/dorm-report-maybe-no-room-fcs-playoff-era

Jeremy Foley, the Florida athletic director and Muschamp's boss, said sometimes scheduling games against FCS opponents isn't avoidable."I understand what Will's saying," Foley said. "In a perfect world, you play all D-I schools. But also you have to have 12 opponents."He wasn't the only one to point out the complexities of filling out a full schedule. Alabama coach Nick Saban said he and the athletic department at 'Bama try not to schedule FCS opponents, but it's not the easiest thing in the world to complete a full 12-game slate.

Sounds like the FCS is not DI, and according to Saban its like the FCS is a disease they try to avoid.