SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-2009 Sioux Hockey Roster

Chuck Schwartz

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have heard, this new goalie is supposed to be good. And if I recall right, he has a good work ethic.

So he's another Walski. Excellent. We need hard workers, especially since goal is going to be our weak link this season. Eidsness may be good, but he's a freshman. I hope he's like Bachman or Kangas, but if not, then it will be a long season good defense or no.

So he's another Walski. Excellent. We need hard workers, especially since goal is going to be our weak link this season. Eidsness may be good, but he's a freshman. I hope he's like Bachman or Kangas, but if not, then it will be a long season good defense or no.

How do you know goal will be our "weak link" this year? Eidsness is the first Sioux goalie drafted since 1993 (Toby Kvalevog).

I suspect as the league gets younger, our goalies will be younger as well. We should get used to it. Quality, older (20) goalies are going to be harder to find.

We have had some pretty good seasons from rookie goalies in the past, as I recall. I bet the coaching staff thinks he's ready.

How do you know goal will be our "weak link" this year? Eidsness is the first Sioux goalie drafted since 1993 (Toby Kvalevog).

I suspect as the league gets younger, our goalies will be younger as well. We should get used to it. Quality, older (20) goalies are going to be harder to find.

We have had some pretty good seasons from rookie goalies in the past, as I recall. I bet the coaching staff thinks he's ready.

not to pass judgement but I hope he's not another kvalevog.

So, some of us think that the goalie position is the weakest link in the coming year. Being somewhat of a newbee and admittedly not a hockey expert - what was the weakest link on this years team, was it goaltending, defense, offense, or was it coaching? Numbers wise we had a great goaltender, draft wise, if my memory serves me correctly we had close to 11 NHL potentials on the ice. If we can forecast next year's weak link we should be able to identify this year's as well.

So, some of us think that the goalie position is the weakest link in the coming year. Being somewhat of a newbee and admittedly not a hockey expert - what was the weakest link on this years team, was it goaltending, defense, offense, or was it coaching? Numbers wise we had a great goaltender, draft wise, if my memory serves me correctly we had close to 11 NHL potentials on the ice. If we can forecast next year's weak link we should be able to identify this year's as well.

For a rookie you seem to ask a lot of good questions. ;) Defensively I think UND was one of the better teams in the nation, statistically this is a true fact. For whatever reason our team peaked a little early in my opinion. I think UND lost the by old: "you can't stop what you can't catch" in the Semi-final game of the NCAA Frozen Four.

I go by experience. Eidsness isn't experienced at the DI level yet and he's practically been named the preseason #1 by everyone but Coach Hak (we don't know what he's thinking regarding this topic and won't for a while). That's a lot on one's plate, even if he was drafted. He may even be the highest drafted goaltender ever to attend UND, though I'm not sure how to find out who is, if he isn't. Kvalevog was an 8th round pick, iirc.

I'm not saying the Sioux have a gaping hole in net. I'm saying that we have a very young goaltending crew with the oldest goaltender all but untested (1 meaningful game played really). Naturally, the expectations are high for this team so the learning curve is unnaturally steep for Eidsness.

We have returners on D and at forward. I just hope Eidsness plays as well as Bachman, Kangas, or even Muse next season.

I go by experience. Eidsness isn't experienced at the DI level yet and he's practically been named the preseason #1 by everyone but Coach Hak (we don't know what he's thinking regarding this topic and won't for a while). That's a lot on one's plate, even if he was drafted. He may even be the highest drafted goaltender ever to attend UND, though I'm not sure how to find out who is, if he isn't. Kvalevog was an 8th round pick, iirc.

According to this old FightingSioux.com press release there are only three former UND goalies that were selected higher than Eidsness:

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.d...p;ATCLID=941874

Our weak link this year will be scoring. Last year was the lowest goal scoring the Sioux have posted in many many years.

I met a handful of the new guys last weekend... brad e, mario l, david t, blood, and possibly one more I dunno I was drinking.. They all seemed like real nice kids and they seemed very excited to be in town and getting a little taste of things to come.. They were all at the same place the older boys were at so I am assuming they were just in town to kind of figure it out...

Our weak link this year will be scoring. Last year was the lowest goal scoring the Sioux have posted in many many years.

I think we'll actually have improved scoring, especially if the WCHA actually calls it tighter like they say they will. The entire league as a whole was down in scoring last year, not just the Sioux.

I think we'll actually have improved scoring, especially if the WCHA actually calls it tighter like they say they will. The entire league as a whole was down in scoring last year, not just the Sioux.

If the League calls it tighter this season I think you will see goaltending numbers go down.

Personally I could care less because I would rather see a 6-3, 7-4, 8-3 game than a 2-1, 1-0 trap feast.

If the League calls it tighter this season I think you will see goaltending numbers go down.

Personally I could care less because I would rather see a 6-3, 7-4, 8-3 game than a 2-1, 1-0 trap feast.

My point exactly. Yes, scoring is down in the WCHA and the new rules will help. But we also need players/coaches that have the ability to provide entertainment depth too. I think the guys coming in (Gregoire/Towes/Hextall) and a healthy Evan Trupp will have the ability to create more scoring depth next year. I also think Frattin needs to step up big time and deliver the scoring ability he showcased in the AJHL.

I also think Frattin needs to step up big time and deliver the scoring ability he showcased in the AJHL.

Frattin reminds me alot of Kozek. A really quick, hard, accurate wrist shot, he just has to work on getting it off more frequently and from better spots. I think he has potential to be a 15-25+ goal scorer in his jr/sr years. Hopefully he can improve a bit from last year in his soph season, because he certainly showed potential at times last year.

Frattin reminds me alot of Kozek. A really quick, hard, accurate wrist shot, he just has to work on getting it off more frequently and from better spots. I think he has potential to be a 15-25+ goal scorer in his jr/sr years. Hopefully he can improve a bit from last year in his soph season, because he certainly showed potential at times last year.

I agree he has some potential to become a quality college player. He seems to disappear in some games which happens to a lot of freshmen. hopefully, he'll find his way to the net more next season.

I think we have only seen a small glimsp of what Frattin can do. I expect a lot of good things from him this season.

Also, I can't wait to see Trupp healthy again.

I might be completely off, but I think this could be a bunch of gangbusters this year. No Oshie or Toews, but a bunch of guys who can cause trouble. If they take a collective attitude of a guy like Trupp, we might really have something. Hak's challenge will be to stress those defensive responsibilities he values so much and, at the same time, develope the offensive explosiveness they are capable of.

I might be completely off, but I think this could be a bunch of gangbusters this year. No Oshie or Toews, but a bunch of guys who can cause trouble. If they take a collective attitude of a guy like Trupp, we might really have something. Hak's challenge will be to stress those defensive responsibilities he values so much and, at the same time, develope the offensive explosiveness they are capable of.

I am just hoping we see race horse hockey again, I am bored with this trap feast and muggings. I want to see some up and down the ice hockey with bone crushing hits and some stats racking. ;)