SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Gophers

Siouxdonyms

And yet the Sioux lead the WCHA in scoring http://wcha.cstv.com/genrel/stats.html?0708/icteam/wcham Dubay per ususal, is talking out of the wrong orifice. Typical......

Yes and no. He obviously hasn't looked at the individual statistics to see that scoring by the team has been pretty spread out this year. He looks at the obvious numbers with Oshie and Duncan being up top, and just assumes that's the way it is. However, the last few games, the Sioux haven't exactly been lighting teams up! I don't think that's an issue of not being able to do it, but rather, the team simply not moving their legs a whole bunch during the game. The last part of the 3rd last night, and especially the OT, showed the true potential this team has. Hak just needs to figure out how to get this team to play like that for the entire game, or at least 90% of it!

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Dubay talking last night and he is still saying the Sioux are a one line team! He was saying you can see that with such a low scoring game there just isn't a lot of depth to these teams! WOW!

Awesome Goal Trupp, Congrats on #1 espn play of the day!

That would be 2 #1 POD's for the Sioux (Bina goal) - 0 for the Gophers ???

The #7 team in the WCHA just took the #2 team to 4 periods. Your mighty team should evaluate some of their piss poor play tonight before you take everything away from the Gophers. Man, you really sound like a stereotypical, chest thumping, Gopher fan.

Last time I checked this is the WCHA....and your point being? Have another sour grape for breakfast skippy

Yes and no. He obviously hasn't looked at the individual statistics to see that scoring by the team has been pretty spread out this year. He looks at the obvious numbers with Oshie and Duncan being up top, and just assumes that's the way it is. However, the last few games, the Sioux haven't exactly been lighting teams up! I don't think that's an issue of not being able to do it, but rather, the team simply not moving their legs a whole bunch during the game. The last part of the 3rd last night, and especially the OT, showed the true potential this team has. Hak just needs to figure out how to get this team to play like that for the entire game, or at least 90% of it!

I'd love to complain that the Sioux aren't scoring enough, but leading the league in scoring pretty much puts that argument to rest. I guess one could argue "the Sioux have trouble scoring goals in the WCHA, only not as much trouble as everyone else." So I'd change your post to Yes and Yes. ???

great win by the guys tonight, showed alot the way they turned it around after the first period. let's stop one trend tonight-the last 2 ot games we've won, we've lost the very next game. let's change that tonight.

also, would anyone know why the all-time series records vary when you look at the gophers perspective and the und one. I mean in the und media guide at the beginningof the year it showed the gophers as having I think 129 wins and last night and in the minnesota papers it shows them with 137?

I think that UND only counts the games in the "current era". Which I believe is post 1948. Minnesota counts the 8 wins the got before that. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I think that UND only counts the games in the "current era". Which I believe is post 1948. Minnesota counts the 8 wins the got before that. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I think that was mentioned on the graphic they showed on FSN last night. Minnesota counts some Pre-WW2 games that UND doesn't.

A guy sent this to me for GPL... I added it to our game recap. I figured that not many of you would see it, so I thought I would share it. The photo was very grainy. so I had to shrink it down a bit. You can see the puck in mid air next to Kangas's blocker pad.

020108_Trupp.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic Jupiter.

Can anyone here clarify where the 2 Gopher players sticks are?

It looks like 1 is under an ankle and the other is stuck up the leg of Trupps breezers.

It looks like 1 is under an ankle and the other is stuck up the leg of Trupps breezers.

Pretty sure that only one of the Gophers had a stick on him. I'm sure it wouldn't have been called though had Trupp not scored.

I think that was mentioned on the graphic they showed on FSN last night. Minnesota counts some Pre-WW2 games that UND doesn't.

Don't go bad-mouthing their wins over the beer league teams of the day or all of the unwanted trolls will come out of their dark little holes again.

I heard Dubay talking last night and he is still saying the Sioux are a one line team! He was saying you can see that with such a low scoring game there just isn't a lot of depth to these teams! WOW!

Awesome Goal Trupp, Congrats on #1 espn play of the day!

Of the nine North Dakota goals that we know Dubay saw in person the "one line" scored 2 goals. (Both in one game.) That sounds pretty much like balanced scoring to me.

The #7 team in the WCHA just took the #2 team to 4 periods. Your mighty team should evaluate some of their piss poor play tonight before you take everything away from the Gophers. Man, you really sound like a stereotypical, chest thumping, Gopher fan.

It came down to who wanted it more and obviously the Gophers didnt want it that bad! Whenever these two teams meet you can throw out everything, rankings, stats, NHL caliber players or whatever else. It comes down to who wants it more and who will go that extra mile to get it!

Would Lucia actually start Frazee tonight? Kangas played well. Even though the goofers lost, he kept them in the game until the end.

I dont' think he would, Kangas did play well. Even after the game he said Kangas did everything he could to keep them in the game, only giving up 1 goal in regulation to the Sioux. Gotta ride Kangas whiles he hot I think, but thats just my $.01.

I dont' think he would, Kangas did play well. Even after the game he said Kangas did everything he could to keep them in the game, only giving up 1 goal in regulation to the Sioux. Gotta ride Kangas whiles he hot I think, but thats just my $.01.

And that's going to Frazee's signing bonus if he doesn't play soon and decides to leave at some point.

Your mighty team should evaluate some of their piss poor play tonight before you take everything away from the Gophers.

In the end, "piss poor play" was all it took to beat the Goofys last night.

Your right in that the team needs to look at that game and come out smoking tonight! My poor heart can't take much more of these 'cliff hangers'!!

even better, they were holding the little guy TRUPP up in the air to make the play ???

Elsewhere in the WCHA, the #9 team trounced the #3 team 5-1 and the #10 team defeated the#5 team. I guess the Brown and Yellow faithful can mark this one down, "taking the Sioux to 4 periods" on their calendar as a Moral Victory. For those of you keeping score, MVs are worth two points less than actual victories like Mankato and AA got.

That puts the Brown and yellow on track to take home the Moral McNaughton and perhaps even the Moral Broadmore! ???

It was too late last night to add but here are some impressions of last nights performance FWIW.

Chorney seemed to struggle in the 1st period but he sure played big time the last half of the game. He made several very good plays with and without the puck and seemed to play at the high level he was playing at during last year's end of the year run. Good for him.

Bina seemed a little off last night.

Genoway was on and off last night.

Finley was a monster again. We are sure going to miss him next year.

Jones was solid again. Marto is fun to watch when he has the puck. He didn't seem out of place defensively either.

Oshie was a man among boys last night, IMO. He may not have had points but he controlled play when he was out there. He is an incredible player and I hope he can continue this level of play the rest of the way.

From what I've watched over the last several series, Kozek has outperformed Miller on the top line. I'll be he never skates by the goalie again, though. Had he put on the brakes he might have been able to sweep that puck from behind Kangas just before the buzzer sounded. It would have been very close, though, but Kozek didn't give himself a chance because he skated right by.

I thought Malone had a good game, better than some I've seen lately. Good work on the boards and helping to generate opportunities.

Martens was also a contributor on his line.

I cannot believe the Sioux had 2 shots on goal half-way through the game.

I cannot believe the Sioux ended the game with 33-34 or whatever it was.

The Sioux still committed too many mistakes with the puck last night, especially in the first half of the game. No small wonder why the 2nd half was better for the Sioux as I think they solidified many parts of their game down the stretch.

However, even after the Sioux got some mo on their side, I still couldn't believe how many times they would ice the puck, seemingly on purpose, and at times it seemed like there were options besides just throwing the puck away. I don't recall ever seeing the Sioux ice the puck intentionally as last night. Was that part of the plan?

Phil gave up his softie in the first period and nailed it the rest of the way, saving a couple he might have had little business saving. He really saved the game last night. I don't know if he's lucky or good, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more gophers shooting high on him tonite, or faking deke and shooting high on open breaks, etc.

It came down to who wanted it more and obviously the Gophers didnt want it that bad! Whenever these two teams meet you can throw out everything, rankings, stats, NHL caliber players or whatever else. It comes down to who wants it more and who will go that extra mile to get it!

at the end of regulation wooger and mansucko were baffled why the gophers werent trying to rush the ice for a last scoring chance then then tj picked the guys pocket and thats when we almost scored at the buzzer in regulation. right after that they showed lucia ripping into the team and it had to be about that. woog even commented like what in the heck are they doing playing for a tie on their home ice

its time for phil to crack the discussions of top wcha goalie and top goalie which i think he is in the nation. especially if he keeps giving up 1 goal per game. great defense and great jo by phil. chorney and genoway were pretty damn good to me last night. marto had 1 very very bad hick up i think it was him that phil saved him on i believe. good win as thats the bottom line. get those points

The VV no-goal was reviewd for the following reason: The play was blown dead when the official lost sight of the puck. Had the puck crossed the line completely off of TJ's stick, the goal would've counted. However, it was put in by Vandevelde after the whistle resulting in No Goal. Had it gone in off the momentum from Oshie, they would've reviewed to see if TJ mad contact with the puck below the crossbar (he did) thereby making it not a high stick and it would've been a goal.