SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

7 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yeah I agree, both of the people I talked to were at about the midway point of the season, January for the most credible. Judging by what transpired since then, it did seem like they worked it out thankfully. I think this is part of what Ausmus meant when he told the team to play at this level for the ENTIRE YEAR next year rather than just at the end of it.

Probably right, I think Berry alluded to problems being worked out as well.

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

I read that this morning too.  I wouldn't put too much stock in that but it does make me feel better :)

I put as much stock in this as I do in the Chambers article from earlier in the year saying Jost was for sure signing. However, this one talks even more logically than a "professional" journalist.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Before everyone piles on with the downvotes and ruins me forever(:lol:), I've heard from 2 separate damn credible sources that there's something to this.

I too heard rumors of this from credible sources at the Ralph around that Jan-Feb time.

As for Jost, he was in the Red Pepper late Friday night telling everyone he would be back. Credible sources there too

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Everyone wants to stay with a belly full of tacos and grinders... let's give him some time :D

Yep, whenever I make it up to Fargo or GF and have some pepper, I say I'm going to hand in my adult life and go back to college too. :)

Seriously, what is the kid supposed to say? F you all, I'm going pro! I'm sure the kid is just pleasantly appeasing the people asking him. That being said, if I were a betting man, I'd guess we will see him one more year.

The article make some great points about him being NHL ready, but another year at UND solidifying his immediate NHL contribution.

Also picked UND partially because of Toews, who stayed 2 years to develop.

Could have gone major junior route, but was set on college; I'd assume this was always likely to be a 2 year commitment.

Also made it very clear just how excited he was to be here, and how great the culture was.

Also just played with Brock Boeser who stayed for a second year to continue development.

Also just had a heart wrenching loss in the NCAA tourney. That is the kind of loss that gets some kids to return and end on a better note.

No guarantees, but IMO, we see Josty as at least a top 10 finalist for the Hobey next season.

• Upvote 3

Regarding Jost, there is discussion on HFBoards that if he does sign with Colorado and doesn't end up making the team, instead of being able to play in the AHL, he'd have to play for the major junior team that has his rights since he was drafted out of the BCHL? Similar to what happened to Jujhar Khaira of Michigan Tech after signing with Edmonton.

If that is indeed true, I hope that if Jost isn't 100% sure he'll make it right away into the NHL that he'll stay another year.

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Too late to get Boeser back for another year? :D

Hot take alert: I think it would've been better for the team if Boeser left after his freshman year.

You have to be kidding me.  Having the young Freshmen and rest of the team watch and practice against a pro like Boeser is invaluable to the overall team.  Easy to Monday morning QB because we didn't win a Natty but a break hear or there and we would all be in Chicago right now.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, fsioux said:

You have to be kidding me.  Having the young Freshmen and rest of the team watch and practice against a pro like Boeser is invaluable to the overall team.  Easy to Monday morning QB because we didn't win a Natty but a break hear or there and we would all be in Chicago right now.

Like I said, it was a hot take but if you've heard what I have you might not think it was so crazy. Or you can just go on believing that I'm crazy, I'm fine with either :)

I can confirm those facts about Jost and the AHL.  The Regina Pats are watching the situation very closely as well.  They are hosting the 100th Memorial Cup next year which guarantees them a spot in the final tournament.  Regina has two of Jost's friends and fellow NHL picks - center Sam Steel (top junior scorer in the entire CHL this year) and Josh Mahura.  The coach is former NHL coach and AHL hall of famer John Paddock.  The fallback if he doesn't make the Avalanche out of camp next year is still a great situation for him.  Most people still predict to see him in either a Colorado or UND jersey next year rather than major junior.

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Too late to get Boeser back for another year? :D

Hot take alert: I think it would've been better for the team if Boeser left after his freshman year.

8 minutes ago, fsioux said:

Yeah, there is just no way I can believe Boeser leaving would have been better for UND or Brock. Brock couldn't help having injuries, anymore than any other player can. I'm sure he played when he could, but have to understand he also has a lot more to risk being a highly drafted player with a bright future and money on the line.

If Brocks situation was affecting anyone in the locker room, it is on the coaches and captains to address those issues, and the team certainly seemed to come together to close out the season. IMO, IF there were and real locker room issues, it had more to do with losing 8 games between January and February, which is on the team, not one person. Hard for any team to cope with that stretch, let alone a bunch of kids coming off a championship season.

By the logic that Boeser should have left, we may as well not welcome back Jost either. Which would be completely preposterous. If you have high end talent, you want them back unless they are a total distraction. And I mean huge off the ice issues, or getting in trouble publicly, or losing their f-ing mind like Tyler Hirsch from the Gophers did.

As was mentioned, 1 or 2 things go differently last Friday, we "could" be playing in Chicago, and the statement about Boesers return is even more asinine.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Yeah, there is just no way I can believe Boeser leaving would have been better for UND or Brock. Brock couldn't help having injuries, anymore than any other player can. I'm sure he played when he could, but have to understand he also has a lot more to risk being a highly drafted player with a bright future and money on the line.

If Brocks situation was affecting anyone in the locker room, it is on the coaches and captains to address those issues, and the team certainly seemed to come together to close out the season. IMO, IF there were and real locker room issues, it had more to do with losing 8 games between January and February, which is on the team, not one person. Hard for any team to cope with that stretch, let alone a bunch of kids coming off a championship season.

By the logic that Boeser should have left, we may as well not welcome back Jost either. Which would be completely preposterous. If you have high end talent, you want them back unless they are a total distraction. And I mean huge off the ice issues, or getting in trouble publicly, or losing their f-ing mind like Tyler Hirsch from the Gophers did.

As was mentioned, 1 or 2 things go differently last Friday, we "could" be playing in Chicago, and the statement about Boesers return is even more asinine.

There's no logical connection between those 2 statements besides the fact that they're both 1st round draft picks.

Take a few deep breaths and if you really want to understand where I'm coming from shoot me a DM.  I'm not just pulling this out of my ass.

Just now, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

There's no logical connection between those 2 statements besides the fact that they're both 1st round draft picks.

Take a few deep breaths and if you really want to understand where I'm coming from shoot me a DM.  I'm not just pulling this out of my ass.

I hear ya, my point was just that you retain your top talent unless they are a massive distraction. Granted, maybe there is more to the situation.

20 minutes ago, fsioux said:

I probably would have waited until the middle of next week to head there:D

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Regarding Jost, there is discussion on HFBoards that if he does sign with Colorado and doesn't end up making the team, instead of being able to play in the AHL, he'd have to play for the major junior team that has his rights since he was drafted out of the BCHL? Similar to what happened to Jujhar Khaira of Michigan Tech after signing with Edmonton.

If that is indeed true, I hope that if Jost isn't 100% sure he'll make it right away into the NHL that he'll stay another year.

He still juniors-eligible age wise so Jost would fall under those rules (to MJ, not AHL).