SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

1 minute ago, Blackheart said:

Tucker Poolman, Pogo, Jost, Gersich, and Cam Johnson need to bring back "the Pact" that Oshie, Chorney, etc. did a few years ago.  Whattysay boys?  One more kick at the can!!

I'd rather it be the pact that Drake, Stech, and Ladue made. Same idea, better result.

1 minute ago, SiouxBoys said:

The ability to make money playing hockey instead of going to class to play hockey.

The thing is, if not NHL, then not that much money...this is for non-first rounders:  

$140k to sign, after taxes and agent fees nets you about $80k, which is a nice down payment on a slightly above average house...depending on where you live...certainly not above average in the big metro areas.

$70k per isn't garbage, but it won't make life easy- especially with the travel- its less than entry level business consultants make to travel the same.

you do get summers off to some degree.

watch slap shot to get a feel for the minors.

On 3/24/2017 at 11:21 PM, siouxforce19 said:

I don't want to come across as being salty/bitter/insert adjective here and if anyone wants to call me that... I've been called worse so have at it ... but when you're ready to sign so soon after a heart breaking season ending loss, that doesn't make me feel all that great.

That said, this isn't about me and isn't something I didn't expect. Appreciate his contributions in his time here and wish him the best. 

Travis Roche

8 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

He still got a rookie Max...

But his wrist could be bad enough that it affects his performance down the line. 

Will Tucker's shoulder fully heal properly or will he be out of the league in three years?

Is it worth a major or even career ending injury for that one more unpaid year in college?  For some of the guys, it's a legitimate question. 

1 hour ago, keikla said:

Exactly.  That's a thought that crossed my mind last night.  Some of these guys are already 20 or 21 when they start as freshman.  Obviously, the goal is to play in the NHL, but many may just want to get as many years playing pro (even in the AHL or Europe) as is possible before their bodies no longer can.  Not everyone is Ulmer.

Take a look at Brett Hextall.  He only played in the minors for a few years before hanging up his skates.  Now, I remember reading an article saying part of the reason he quit was because his wife was doing her residency, and they never saw each other, but it'd be interesting to know his take on turning early.  Does he regret leaving when he did?  Or is he glad he got as many years as he could, even if he never touched the NHL?

Every situation is different and some even if they stay all 4 years will still not make the NHL.  There are others however who I believe have greatly enhanced their opportunity to make it in the NHL.  Take Drake for example, have to believe that senior season propelled his visibility immensely.

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

But his wrist could be bad enough that it affects his performance down the line. 

Will Tucker's shoulder fully heal properly or will he be out of the league in three years?

Is it worth a major or even career ending injury for that one more unpaid year in college?  For some of the guys, it's a legitimate question. 

They could always get AFLAC.  Seriously, I know in the past players had insurance policies, but not sure how prevalent it is now. 

10 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

He still got a rookie Max...

Agreed, I wasn't saying it hurt Brock.  I wonder if guys start to weigh the risk of getting hurt while in college, before they sign that contract.  Or the chance of an injury affecting the contract options they could have.

10 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Tucker Poolman, Pogo, Jost, Gersich, and Cam Johnson need to bring back "the Pact" that Oshie, Chorney, etc. did a few years ago.  Whattysay boys?  One more kick at the can!!

Too late to get Boeser back for another year? :D

Hot take alert: I think it would've been better for the team if Boeser left after his freshman year.

• Downvote 3

Worried about getting hurt and losing a professional career? 

Lloyd's of London

Yes, you can get an insurance policy against a career-ending injury in college. I'm sure you could get Lloyd's to write it to compensate you for the equivalent of a "rookie max" deal that you'd lose. And honestly, it'd be fairly inexpensive. 

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Hot take alert: I think it would've been better for the team if Boeser left after his freshman year.

Not sure if serious ... however,

I will say I do wonder if the "Drama's of Brock" weren't a distraction this year.
Drama's? Yes. Coming back (and the "oh, he could've gone!" noise); the wrist and associated surgery; the "how quick will he be gone after season's end?". 

Team first.
OneUND. 

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

It seems as other teams are getting some of these guys back.  Some of those top boy from northeastern all noted they were coming back, Schuldt went back to SCSU even though he got a great offer.  I wonder what gives?

I'm in wait and see mode with this years early departures. So far, we have:

• Boeser - NHL ready
  • Poolman - NHL ready
  • Poganski - Graduated

There's nothing surprising at all about those 3, now, the rest is where you hope you win some of the 50 / 50 battles. Jost, Gersich, Wolanin, Johnson. UND has always done a pretty good job of keeping players for the extra year (see Boeser, Poolman), of course, you'll have the Luke Johnsons, Keaton Thompsons, where they probably leave too early. It happens everywhere though. Did all 7 BC players that left early last year play in the NHL?

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

• Boeser - NHL ready
  • Poolman - NHL ready
  • Poganski - Graduated

There's nothing surprising at all about those 3, now, the rest is where you hope you win some of the 50 / 50 battles. Jost, Gersich, Wolanin, Johnson. UND has always done a pretty good job of keeping players for the extra year (see Boeser, Poolman), of course, you'll have the Luke Johnsons, Keaton Thompsons, where they probably leave too early. It happens everywhere though. Did all 7 BC players that left early last year play in the NHL?

No, some played all year in the A.

58 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not sure if serious ... however,

I will say I do wonder if the "Drama's of Brock" weren't a distraction this year.
Drama's? Yes. Coming back (and the "oh, he could've gone!" noise); the wrist and associated surgery; the "how quick will he be gone after season's end?". 

Team first.
OneUND. 

Before everyone piles on with the downvotes and ruins me forever(:lol:), I've heard from 2 separate damn credible sources that there's something to this.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

• Boeser - NHL ready
  • Poolman - NHL ready
  • Poganski - Graduated

That's probably the point.  Off last years team, Drake, Nick, Brock, LaDue, and Stecher have already played in the NHL.  Most probably think they can do the same.  I am pretty sure that some of the 7 BC players that left early will never make it to the NHL.  It is good to have confidence, but in the NHL everybody is good.

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Before everyone piles on with the downvotes and ruins me forever(:lol:), I've heard from 2 separate damn credible sources that there's something to this.

Good night, they just had multiple players leave early after the natty. Brock came back, seems like a great kid, it there's drama it's coming from others, but I don't see that either.

6 minutes ago, sprig said:

Good night, they just had multiple players leave early after the natty. Brock came back, seems like a great kid, it there's drama it's coming from others, but I don't see that either.

Goodnight? I'm confused... Anyways,  I was surprised to hear this too but like I said, I have heard from multiple sources with direct connections to the team.  Brock seems like an awesome kid and was a huge reason we got #8 and for that I'm grateful, but that doesn't mean that he's completely immune just because 'you don't see it'.

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Goodnight? I'm confused... Anyways,  I was surprised to hear this too but like I said, I have heard from multiple sources with direct connections to the team.  Brock seems like an awesome kid and was a huge reason we got #8 and for that I'm grateful, but that doesn't mean that he's completely immune just because 'you don't see it'.

I've heard rumors about others earlier in the season, but won't name them. Seemed that everything got worked out by late in the season, as they played like it.

Don't doubt players start sniping each other when things aren't going well(ie losing often). It certainly happens among posters here.

BTW, I work there.

3 minutes ago, sprig said:

I've heard rumors about others earlier in the season, but won't name them. Seemed that everything got worked out by late in the season, as they played like it.

Yeah I agree, both of the people I talked to were at about the midway point of the season, January for the most credible. Judging by what transpired since then, it did seem like they worked it out thankfully. I think this is part of what Ausmus meant when he told the team to play at this level for the ENTIRE YEAR next year rather than just at the end of it.

12 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Trevor is already in, just waiting for the rest to fall into place!