SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Michigan State

AZSIOUX

5 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Seniority alone doesn't mean a 3rd rounder sits in the stands his entire sophomore year.

Gotta be either something blatantly glaring in practice or extenuating circumstances such as Tomek planning on leaving.

Or that the senior is better right now. Rinks isn't a bad goaltender. 

47 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Never said he was, but you missed my point.

We have a 3rd round NHL drafted goalie that can't even sniff the net.

I was saying I disagreed with your point. It's not just Rinks being older, he's just better right now, evidently. Rinks is more experienced and older, it happens. Until something drastic changes (ie. him bolting), there's not much to indicate anything other.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Wouldn't it be priceless to see everybody that wanted Tomek to play recently do a complete 180 if Berry put him in against Michigan State and they fell behind by 3 early.  The irony would be classic considering the reaction to Hakstol playing Cam against Lake Superior a few years back. 

I just want to see what he can do, If he doesn't do good then you pull him

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I was saying I disagreed with your point. It's not just Rinks being older, he's just better right now, evidently. Rinks is more experienced and older, it happens. Until something drastic changes (ie. him bolting), there's not much to indicate anything other.

That wasn't my point. Sicatoka said that because Rinks is a senior he's getting more looks.

My point was that seniority alone does not account for Tomek not sniffing the net.

Then I stated there has to be extenuating circumstances such as practice, which would fall under your 'he's just better right now'.

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Just because you're drafted doesn't mean you're good. Maybe Tomek is the anti-Murphy.........just terrible in practice.

Obviously not, but then what did coaches/scouts/etc. miss about him?

I'd love to see a stat of how many goalies drafted in the 3rd round got exactly 0 minutes on the next team they went to.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Obviously not, but then what did coaches/scouts/etc. miss about him?

I'd love to see a stat of how many goalies drafted in the 3rd round got exactly 0 minutes on the next team they went to.

He isn't even traveling......that saya a lot.

2 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

I just want to see what he can do, If he doesn't do good then you pull him

Well hopefully he can stop pucks like any other goalie would.   No reason to replace Cam,  he's been great this year. His numbers may not show it but i put most of that on the Defence.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Correct.........if he's really good he would have seen the ice by now.

#inBerrywetrust

Probably, but there could be other factors at play.   Blais loved to platoon goalies, but I also trust Berry.   Nice problem to have, at any rate. 

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Never said he was, but you missed my point.

We have a 3rd round NHL drafted goalie that can't even sniff the net.

Apparently, he's not doing it in practice or isn't showing the coaching staff enough to crack the lineup. The way I understand it is, the goalie coach Karl G makes his recommendations who's playing the best to the head coach. 

Obviously, the coaching staff sees him in practice also and probably agree with his position coach. Then the coaching staff makes their travel roster. Right now, Tomek has been left home and is the third goalie on the depth chart. I guess you can read into this what you want. IMHO, this translates to me as Tomek isn't getting it done in practice and the coaching staff sees it this way. Pouting and or leaving isn't going to make him better. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

His situation could be used against us in recruiting high end goalies in the future.  

Curious how much Flyers owning his rights has to do with his willingness to wait his turn.  Whoever owns his CHL import rights has gotta be in his ear.

The CHL isn't taking foreign goalies. I am not sure why you think it would have an effect on future goalie recruits? If you're not good enough to play, then I would question how elite that goalie is.  Also, playing time is earned, a goalie isn't guaranteed anything. Johnson, Matt Zane McIntyre and Clarke Saunders all earned their starts. 

• Upvote 3

1. Obviously there's no reason to replace Cam at this point, he's IMO one of the most under appreciated goalie at UND in a while despite taking us all the way(albeit with a great d core)

2. I'm surprised that people aren't more curious as to why Tomek is not even a backup if he's been proven he has skill up to this point. Sure you can trot out the 'playing time is earned' company line but you earn playing time and develop confidence by getting in games and stopping the biscuit.

3. Saying 'coaches must see something in practice'. What is it?! Gets beat 5 hole every time? Has a glove as slow as molasses? Did Boeser deke him so hard he had contemplated the meaning of his life and is joining the peace corps?

Again, I trust the coaches but I really think there has to be something big for a 3rd round drafted goalie(yes I know draft position isn't everything) to not be getting a look.

That is all :D

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Oxbow6:  MSU coming to town this weekend.  I'll take the Fighting Hawks 64-2 in the first game and 47-1 in the second game.

MafiaMan:  Pretty optimistic of you to think that the Spartans are gonna manage to score 3 goals this weekend, isn't it?  

That conversation sounds reasonable. :) I like it. 

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

1. Obviously there's no reason to replace Cam at this point, he's IMO one of the most under appreciated goalie at UND in a while despite taking us all the way(albeit with a great d core)

2. I'm surprised that people aren't more curious as to why Tomek is not even a backup if he's been proven he has skill up to this point. Sure you can trot out the 'playing time is earned' company line but you earn playing time and develop confidence by getting in games and stopping the biscuit.

3. Saying 'coaches must see something in practice'. What is it?! Gets beat 5 hole every time? Has a glove as slow as molasses? Did Boeser deke him so hard he had contemplated the meaning of his life and is joining the peace corps?

Again, I trust the coaches but I really think there has to be something big for a 3rd round drafted goalie(yes I know draft position isn't everything) to not be getting a look.

That is all :D

Now that is funny. 

2 hours ago, Goon said:

The CHL isn't taking foreign goalies. I am not sure why you think it would have an effect on future goalie recruits? If you're not good enough to play, then I would question how elite that goalie is.  Also, playing time is earned, a goalie isn't guaranteed anything. Johnson, Matt Zane McIntyre and Clarke Saunders all earned their starts. 

It's all fine and dandy to espouse this as a spectator, but I doubt this was the picture the coaches painted for him during recruiting, and it won't be hard use that to plant that seed of doubt in another youngster's head.  Young minds are easily malleable.  This isn't some full blown problem to be afraid of, just an observation in this post-truth world. (Insert dry humor emoji here)

I'm less concerned that Cam is getting all the starts than I am about the 3rd string status.  Wasn't Hrinkyw (sp) brought in with the same role in mind as what Tate was?  Maybe Tomek pulled a Youngblood with a coach's daughter or something, there's a behind the scenes story for sure.