SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching Staff Change

puck

Has Eades ever made a public statement in support of dropping the nickname? ???

I thought you were going to say, "Cary Eades is now my new favorite Sioux coach ever. He has never coached a non-Fighting Sioux team and he even went so far as to leave the program rather than coach a non-Sioux UND team."

I think that would've been better for your character to say.

Anybody else hearing that the New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets assistant coach has been offered the job? I guess he coaches the defense for the Nets and could easily make the transition from the pro's to the college game.

I've been hearing some things about the situation from some scouts and this is what they're telling me. Apparently the demands of the pro game don't allow him enough time to see any of his son's games.

• Upvote 1

Has Eades ever made a public statement in support of dropping the nickname? ???

This has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, cmon now.

In my mind this has to do with a couple of things

1) The loss of several higher profile recruits to the CHL, UND has not had a big history of this up until the last couple of years and now there have been 3 in the last ten months? What were these recruits being told to originally get them to commit and did the message change after verbals were given?

2) There has been a step back in the play of the defense the last few years, under Berry players were very strong in the neutral zone and were big, mean, and consistent in their own zone. However the last few years this has not been the case and the defense isn't quite on the same level as it used to be.

At the end of the day his main job was recruiting and I won't argue one bit in Hakstol saying a change is needed because I agree 100%. Somehow I think Berry may be involved but also wonder about Fabian. He is currently on the Women's team, were they so impressed with him last year that Hakstol may want him to be a coach and promote another assistant? I guess only time will tell.

• Upvote 2

The Grand Forks Herald story has been updated with quotes from Hakstol and Eades

During an interview, Hakstol didn’t get into details about the new roles and duties that Eades didn’t fit into, but he added: “I hope at the end of that hiring process that will answer your question in terms of what I would like to address. I don’t think it’s fair to get into that today at the front end. The result itself should answer that question.”

The rationale given to me was exactly as it was stated in the release,” Eades said. “He (Hakstol) wants to restructure and redefine roles within the staff and take things in a new direction. That’s hard for me to hear, but he’s kind of the captain of the ship and he has every right to take that ship in a different direction.

“It’s disappointing to hear you’re not part of the plan moving forward.”

Eades, who started receiving calls about coaching opportunities immediately after the news was announced, said his opinion on UND hockey has not soured.

“Not in the least,” Eades said. “(Sioux hockey) has prospered for 60 years. I’ve had the privilege to play here and serve as a coach on two different occasions. It’s going to continue to prosper and that’s one of the things I can hold my head high about. The future is bright and my role in sharing in the recruitment of this team next year and future years has been good.

Anybody else hearing that the New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets assistant coach has been offered the job? I guess he coaches the defense for the Nets and could easily make the transition from the pro's to the college game.

I've been hearing some things about the situation from some scouts and this is what they're telling me. Apparently the demands of the pro game don't allow him enough time to see any of his son's games.

And whooooo is that?

You do realize that the Nets play basketball and this is a hockey coaching position, don't you?

so now we are going to hire NBA assistants?

You do realize that the Nets play basketball and this is a hockey coaching position, don't you?

It can't be anyone for the Devils either. The two assitants for the Devils are Larry Robinson(who is a long time coach for the Devils and won a cup with the team) and Adam Oates who was one of the greatest Power Play players the NHL has ever seen. I don't think either will be coming to be an assistant coach at UND.

This seems odd to me, I don't see why Hakstol would do this, unless maybe he is expecting to get Berry back. There isn't enough money in the assistant's pool to have both of them on the payroll.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him go to Omaha, work under Blais for a year or two, and get ready to take that program over when he retires.

That is Steve Johnson's future job. The rumor on the street, and I say rumor, is the reason he was let go had more to do with personal issues. The story is that Hak fired him because of the affair that Eades was having. This does come from a good source and that supposedly was the reason that Mankato did not hire him. One person nobody has mentioned is BRAD BOMBARDIR director of player development with the Wild. NHL defenseman and an all around nice guy. Think about a guy with his knowledge and experiance recruiting your kid and then having him coach your kid? Furthermore, former roomate of Hakstol, Dixon Ward, and Chad Johnson when they all played here.

That is Steve Johnson's future job. The rumor on the street, and I say rumor, is the reason he was let go had more to do with personal issues. The story is that Hak fired him because of the affair that Eades was having. This does come from a good source and that supposedly was the reason that Mankato did not hire him. One person nobody has mentioned is BRAD BOMBARDIR director of player development with the Wild. NHL defenseman and an all around nice guy. Think about a guy with his knowledge and experiance recruiting your kid and then having him coach your kid? Furthermore, former roomate of Hakstol, Dixon Ward, and Chad Johnson when they all played here.

I hate when crap like this comes on the forum. If it's a personal issue and is only a rumor than it has no business on here IMHO. That is none of our business.

I hate when crap like this comes on the forum. If it's a personal issue and is only a rumor than it has no business on here IMHO. That is none of our business.

Why not? He did clarify that it's a rumor and he has the right to put his opinion on the internet.

Why not? He did clarify that it's a rumor and he has the right to put his opinion on the internet.

It's classless to bring someone's personal business up in a public forum. It's slander. Maybe not in the legal terms, but it defames someone's character all the same. I'd prefer to leave rumors to the National Enquirer or something...

• Upvote 2

It's classless to bring someone's personal business up in a public forum. It's slander. Maybe not in the legal terms, but it defames someone's character all the same. I'd prefer to leave rumors to the National Enquirer or something...

On this board? That is all this board is about is rumor and speculation and character defamation.
  • Upvote 1

Thank you Cary Eades for being a dedicated Fighting Sioux coach for all these years. He bled green through and through. I'm thinking he could go to UNO and assist Blais if that job hasn't been filled. With Blais supposedly retiring in a few years he would then take over the UNO program.

On this board? That is all this board is about is rumor and speculation and character assination.

Rumor and Speculation about recruiting, performance, and on the field issues with all things affecting UND, not about the personal life of a coach that has nothing to do with the job, it is classless and has no place here IMHO.

Thank you Cary Eades for being a dedicated Fighting Sioux coach for all these years. He bled green through and through. I'm thinking he could go to UNO and assist Blais if that job hasn't been filled. With Blais supposedly retiring in a few years he would then take over the UNO program.

I would chuckle more than a little if he became an assistant at Wisconsin.

Posting something like that which is not a verified fact could damage relationships and reputations, it's a little more serious than calling out some guy who isn't hustling on the court or ice.

Ok - let's understand this - a hardworking Sioux coach who is successful and bleeds Sioux Green is let go because he didn't quite get things done and we need to go in another direction. Does this sound familiar to anyone with a 6 year contract? Hak can have any staff he wants, but a precedent is being set here. Get it done!

Rumor and Speculation about recruiting, performance, and on the field issues with all things affecting UND, not about the personal life of a coach that has nothing to do with the job, it is classless and has no place here IMHO.

I guess it is ok only when it is a recruit that changed his mind? How often has that been discussed here? Perfect example is that kid from Crookston. Before anyone attacks me look at previous posts here.