SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

He's making his quilt.

You don't have to cuddle up in it. 

I stand and look at it for the patches of information. 

Your metaphor is flawed. A quilt eventually becomes one cohesive entity. His patches are scattered on a table in a random order and there isnt a needle or thread within a mile radius.

In any event, the whole thing is entertaining I suppose. 

The biggest question I have and many others do as well. Why are UND fans going to all of a sudden flood the turnstiles at UND athletic events for an FBS no name team, when they aren't currently doing that for teams that in many cases are more of a household name in the upper Midwest? FBS isn't some magic dust that all of a sudden excites people to support your athletic teams. Playing traditional rivals and teams your fanbase has actually heard of has a better chance of doing that. Summit and MVFC would be the best option IMO.

13 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Your metaphor is flawed. A quilt eventually becomes one cohesive entity. His patches are scattered on a table in a random order and there isnt a needle or thread within a mile radius.

No, I said his thoughts are the thread. 

52 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

... is putting together a quilt using the vivid patches of information he gathers and stitches together with his thoughts.

A quilt is as good as its stitching. 

54 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Again, I don't understand the umbrage toward SV. They guy is putting together a quilt using the vivid patches of information he gathers and stitches together with his thoughts. We all do it. His just happen to be bigger and bolder patterns and ending with something king-sized. 

The rest of us are afraid to go above a monochromatic dinner napkin. 

SV is probably batting 0.240 to 0.300 with his predictions.
Guess what: That and an average glove makes $3 million a year playing second base in Boston. :D 

The rub is that as soon as UND goes to the Summit (and hopefully the MVFC) most everything he has stated will have been false.  If/when it is announced I will then be batting 1.000 and he will drop to about 0.002 when looking back at all his "patches" and "needlework".  He did get that one hit on opening day, though.  

Just now, UND-1 said:

The rub is that as soon as UND goes to the Summit (and hopefully the MVFC) most everything he has stated will have been false.  If/when it is announced I will then be batting 1.000 and he will drop to about 0.002 when looking back at all his "patches".  He did get that one hit on opening day, though.  

The funny thing about baseball analogies (I'll fully admit) is that sometimes the beaten down impossible ... well ... here (and I'm no Dodger fan):

tumblr_md0atnGcz91renuivo1_500.gif

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

... Summit and MVFC would be the best option IMO.

This is a common theme among bison posters. It seems that NDSU misses UND more than most of them admit. (Though, yes, some do admit it, as do many UND fans)

if SV's prediction about the FBS WAC come to fruition, their desire to reunite with UND will be through the new WAC.

Sica's break-down of Cal Baptist's entry into the WAC notwithstanding, their entry into the WAC is the biggest fly in SV's ointment. Just can't reconcile that one. But to offset the potential loss of Chicago State does make sense, at least as Sica illustrates the scenario.

would really hate to see the Montanas and NDSU move to FBS and leave UND behind (again).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Evidence would make his stitching a whole lot stronger. Right now I see nothing more than a remarkable tendency to see patterns in random data ... Apophenia.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That quilt has massive holes in it. You need real patches to stitch together. Right now youre sitting there with a needle and thread with nothing to sew together.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Again, I don't understand the umbrage toward SV. They guy is putting together a quilt using the vivid patches of information he gathers and stitches together with his thoughts. We all do it. His just happen to be bigger and bolder patterns and ending with something king-sized. 

The rest of us are afraid to go above a monochromatic dinner napkin. 

SV is probably batting 0.240 to 0.300 with his predictions.
Guess what: That and an average glove makes $3 million a year playing second base in Boston. :D 

0.240?????   Youre a few decimal points off. 0.00240 is more like it. :)

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

This is a common theme among bison posters. It seems that NDSU misses UND more than most of them admit. (Though, yes, some do admit it, as do many UND fans)

if SV's prediction about the FBS WAC come to fruition, their desire to reunite with UND will be through the new WAC.

Sica's break-down of Cal Baptist's entry into the WAC notwithstanding, their entry into the WAC is the biggest fly in SV's ointment. Just can't reconcile that one. But to offset the potential loss of Chicago State does make sense, at least as Sica illustrates the scenario.

would really hate to see the Montanas and NDSU move to FBS and leave UND behind (again).

So if I have an objective view that UND and it's fanbase would be best served by having traditional rivals on their schedule who are significantly closer for their core fanbase to be able to travel to away games, significantly closer for parents of players to be able to travel to away games in many cases, all while saving UND money on travel costs, that means I miss UND?

What a boring narrative, get past it.

51 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

So if I have an objective view that UND and it's fanbase would be best served by having traditional rivals on their schedule who are significantly closer for their core fanbase to be able to travel to away games, significantly closer for parents of players to be able to travel to away games in many cases, all while saving UND money on travel costs, that means I miss UND?

What a boring narrative, get past it.

If you are bored, you don't have to come to SS and read it. ;)

there are several/many UND fans who agree with you, I'm just not one of them :D

19 minutes ago, zonadub said:

If you are bored, you don't have to come to SS and read it. ;)

there are several/many UND fans who agree with you, I'm just not one of them :D

The vast majority here is interesting.

Just bored with the talking point that one side has an inferiority complex or superiority complex or one side misses the other more than the other side misses them etc, etc, etc. It gets rolled out by UND and NDSU fans alike.

Its more than possible to be interested without being obsessed and to be have an opinion on an outcome without "missing" the other school.

For me, it's akin to an NDSU fan saying UND "followed" NDSU into division I. It's a lazy and childish thing to say and holds no merit.

21 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

The vast majority here is interesting.

Just bored with the talking point that one side has an inferiority complex or superiority complex or one side misses the other more than the other side misses them etc, etc, etc. It gets rolled out by UND and NDSU fans alike.

Its more than possible to be interested without being obsessed and to be have an opinion on an outcome without "missing" the other school.

For me, it's akin to an NDSU fan saying UND "followed" NDSU into division I. It's a lazy and childish thing to say and holds no merit.

Wow, Guess you missed the point of my original post. Nothing about inferiority. Acknowledged that both sides have fans who want to see the schools reunited in a conference.

point was that Sica put forth a spin on SV's theory that might actually make sense. And my belief that both teams would end up in an FBS WAC, if that ever came to happen.

Personally, I think Cal Baptist joining the WAC shoots a huge hole in SV's idea, but wanted to tip the cap to Sica that he had a theory that made a little light shine through.

20 hours ago, Gothmog said:

Evidence would make his stitching a whole lot stronger. Right now I see nothing more than a remarkable tendency to see patterns in random data ... Apophenia.

Your thoughts (the stitching) require no evidence as they are hypotheses to be proved or disproved.
But, admittedly, yes, the patches (the pieces of data) should have sources and references. 

And understand, I'm not talking SV here, I'm talking any discussion. 

17 hours ago, zonadub said:

point was that Sica put forth a spin on SV's theory that might actually make sense. And my belief that both teams would end up in an FBS WAC, if that ever came to happen.

Personally, I think Cal Baptist joining the WAC shoots a huge hole in SV's idea, but wanted to tip the cap to Sica that he had a theory that made a little light shine through.

I took the same patches (WAC has ability to bestow FBS; Cal Baptist to WAC) and my own thread (thoughts) and came up with a different looking quilt. < shrug > 

On 1/17/2017 at 8:57 PM, UNDvince97-01 said:

Let me preface this by saying I don't dislike your thought and theory of UND in an FBS WAC. I'm not sure we are ready for it or if most importantly, it's financially plausible given the current status of the state, but I don't scoff at the aggressiveness to play at the highest level.

Having said that, what happens to your theories when UND joins the summit in 2018 or 2019? I feel it's inevitable and only a matter of time and official announcement. Does that change things for you? Right, wrong or otherwise, whether you or I or anyone else like it, it's gonna happen....Soon.

Honest question. What then? We still going to FBS WAC?

Ok what now, SiouxVolley?  If it becomes official today after the vote, what happens?

• Upvote 1