SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

52 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Isn't Kierstad coming in next year? I thought at this point he is the only guarantee?

Yeah....forgot about him.  He should be pretty solid.  He reminds me of Shaw, it may take him a year or two to make an impact but should be nice for depth.

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Every team needs depth defensemen.

I know next to nothing about the deal with Evers, Bast and if they are or are not ever coming. If neither do come next year, going on a limb and saying Kiersted probably slots in at the no. 6 d-man. 

Disclaimer: I could very likely also be wrong. 

28 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I know next to nothing about the deal with Evers, Bast and if they are or are not ever coming. If neither do come next year, going on a limb and saying Kiersted probably slots in at the no. 6 d-man. 

I'd already slot him in higher than that I like his game. I think he would be a nice partner for Shaw or Poolman.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I'm not sure what's up with Evers either. I'm still optimistic about Bast.  Do either of them have junior eligibility left after this year?

Kiersted was a nice get.  By depth dman I meant for next year.  He could be really good by the time he's an upperclassman.

25 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Exactly. A nice mix of studs and depth not all depth.

Wolanin should not be considered a depth dman, at least not next year.  He's a 4th rounder, he'll be a key cog.

Shaw should also produce more offensively the next two years...so after this year I wouldn't consider him a depth dman.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Wolanin should not be considered a depth dman, at least not next year.  He's a 4th rounder, he'll be a key cog.

Shaw should also produce more offensively the next two years...so after this year I wouldn't consider him a depth dman.

Both those guys have been brutal at times this year with the give-aways.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

I'd already slot him in higher than that I like his game. I think he would be a nice partner for Shaw or Poolman.

I should have inserted "at least." I remember him being well regarded when he committed. You just never know where freshmen will slot in until you see what they have vs returning players. 

I've seen Frisch play a few times down here. Only a sophomore and he plays in all situations. In the few games I've seen he's been good. Jumps into the play on offense and I've yet to see him get caught up ice. He's not the fastest guy on the ice, but his skating is smooth and effortless. His youngest brother plays with my seven year old and is the best kid out there maybe a future recruit. Don't know how high his ceiling is, guess we'll find out.

49 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Yeah I know.  They're still developing. They're sophomores. 

Wolanin is 4th on the team in +/- (second among dmen).

I know they are Sophs - what I am saying is that in addition to guys who will be pretty good after playing regularly for 2 years we need some higher end talent who can make a difference immediately - a combination.  We seem real short on the high end talent on D and there is a serious drop-off on O after the big 3.  At times we are horrible in transition and with puck movement.  I think we are under-talented and with our recruiting advantages should not be - I get we had departures, but where are the stud replacements (who were recruited for the most part several years ago)

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I've seen Frisch play a few times down here. Only a sophomore and he plays in all situations. In the few games I've seen he's been good. Jumps into the play on offense and I've yet to see him get caught up ice. He's not the fastest guy on the ice, but his skating is smooth and effortless. His youngest brother plays with my seven year old and is the best kid out there maybe a future recruit. Don't know how high his ceiling is, guess we'll find out.

I know that you aren't serious, but just o remind folks-

7 is awfully early in the development process...I coach U8...At this age, it is all about agility, balance and coordination...reps, small area, lots of touches...love of the game.  Far too often I see young kids get too heavily drilled...makes them look like rock stars young, but misses a lot of things that will ultimately make a stud U16...they gotta love it in order to do the real development things that take place between 12 and 16. 

Also, the biggest variable into how far a kid will take it in the game isn't even visible until they are in puberty, when whether or not they've won the athleticism lottery becomes visible.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I know that you aren't serious, but just o remind folks-

7 is awfully early in the development process...I coach U8...At this age, it is all about agility, balance and coordination...reps, small area, lots of touches...love of the game.  Far too often I see young kids get too heavily drilled...makes them look like rock stars young, but misses a lot of things that will ultimately make a stud U16...they gotta love it in order to do the real development things that take place between 12 and 16. 

Also, the biggest variable into how far a kid will take it in the game isn't even visible until they are in puberty, when whether or not they've won the athleticism lottery becomes visible.

My son loves going to hockey. I've been very happy with how they run the youth hockey here. They have a game on Sunday and practice on Wednesday. Most of the drills are setup in a way that's fun for the kids, you can see what skills they're working on, but it's setup in a fun way. In Moorhead you can even get the equipment for free until squirts, I think, so any kid can have the chance to play.

17 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

My son loves going to hockey. I've been very happy with how they run the youth hockey here. They have a game on Sunday and practice on Wednesday. Most of the drills are setup in a way that's fun for the kids, you can see what skills they're working on, but it's setup in a fun way. In Moorhead you can even get the equipment for free until squirts, I think, so any kid can have the chance to play.

Love hearing that!

On 1/26/2017 at 4:58 PM, Irish said:

I know they are Sophs - what I am saying is that in addition to guys who will be pretty good after playing regularly for 2 years we need some higher end talent who can make a difference immediately - a combination.  We seem real short on the high end talent on D and there is a serious drop-off on O after the big 3.  At times we are horrible in transition and with puck movement.  I think we are under-talented and with our recruiting advantages should not be - I get we had departures, but where are the stud replacements (who were recruited for the most part several years ago)

I don't disagree with you on the D talent (just the assessment of wolanin and shaw so far in their careers).  We definitely are a little thin, and will be more so next season. Just a recruiting gap I guess.  The big focus has been on getting local kids, they've missed on some higher end kids lately.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, savepercentage said:

I was looking at the NTDP's website today and Karki is no longer listed as committed to UND. It might just be a mistake but we'll see. He hasn't had the best season this year.

Judging by his twitter account I would say he still is...unless Und pulled the scholarship.  I know he got into some trouble recently.  I would say he still is though.

19 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Judging by his twitter account I would say he still is...unless Und pulled the scholarship.  I know he got into some trouble recently.  I would say he still is though.

Yeah definitely looks like he is. I really like his potential and I think he only turns 17 towards the end of February. I know him and another guy missed a few games because of some disciplinary issue my guess is a missed curfew or something like that but he got a start this past weekend.

On 1/31/2017 at 4:57 PM, savepercentage said:

I was looking at the NTDP's website today and Karki is no longer listed as committed to UND. It might just be a mistake but we'll see. He hasn't had the best season this year.

He also isn't listed on Heisenbergs page as committed to UND anymore.