SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs MICH TECH

AZSIOUX

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you that, I apologize, I was typing on a PDA, so it's tedious typing anything longer than a sentence.

Let me refresh your amnesia:

QUOTE (mygarske @ Nov 20 2007, 01:19 AM)

Wow, must be an off week. I haven't read this much piss and fire on here since the Sioux/Goofer series. Sad thing is, it's a circular firing ring. Soohockey15, I can empathize, I made the same mistake of calling Radke a hack during the Mich Tech game. So I don

good win tonight for the sioux. nice to see davidson out there for a game. hope to see kozek back next weekend for sure along with lapoint who hopefully will be healthy. im sure kozek wasnt happy but sometimes that seems to be the trick! go sioux

brooms-jlm.jpg

According to Hak on the pregame show, Kozek was sick Friday and not feeling any better today and they felt if he was only able to go at 75% that they would stick someone else in there.

To me if you win Friday, you should stick as close to the same lineup as possible, barring any injuries(illness) or very poor play.

Congrats, Siouxzies, on your first sweep of the season. :D

I figured it would be against Tech. The Sioux played and looked good on the ice tonight. They were really physical and defensively: awesome. As a Tech fan, I was getting a pretty frustrated that the Sioux were doing exactly what they were supposed to be doing. Again.

And my team... oy. These are two of the worst games I've seen from them this season. I swear they looked better in the 6-0 Sioux victory at home earlier this season. This past weekend, they just looked so lost. :D

Ah well. Our season's over. Fire Russell. Etc, etc. :lol:

Since the weekend's over, I can go back to being a quasi-Sioux fan. Oh goodie. Good luck the rest of the way, guys.

Good weekend all around. Nice to see the stick salute. Really like Zajac with the 2 freshman. Zajac is playing much better and is becoming a beast with the puck in our offensive zone even if he isn't scoring. Chorney is back!! His play is and will be one of the big differences from here on out. How can any one not like watching Genoway play?? Even though the 4th line was out on the ice for the only goal, I thought they played well. First time I've seen Davidson play and he looked alright. His elbowing penalty reminded me of Finley's last yeat at the Frozen Four--horrible call!

The only problem/concern I saw this weekend is with the Oshie line. Maybe it is just me but Miller doesn't do much. You hate to see Osh and Dunc paired with someone who can't blend in with their talents. It seemed this weekend with Tech focusing so much on Oshie (and Duncan to an extent) that Miller would be ripe for a big weekend--not the case. But who do you find to play on the that top line?? To me Martens has looked better than Miller and what about Forney?? Slip Kozak on the top line?? Miller on the 4th if you are going to play him? 2 wins though without a goal from your top line is something to build on. Overall I like what I'm seeing as of late!

Now that's Sioux hockey. If we played with this attitude and intensity I would be satisfied win, lose, or draw. It's good to see us turn a visit to the Englestad Arena into 60 minutes of pain. I hope this is the start of a trend. When everyone chips in on the scoring, we tend to win. Even though not all goals were pretty, when we put the puck on the net and crash the net, good things happen. We definately outworked them this weekend. Keep it up Sioux.

One thing I noted from both games this weekend was the play of Chorney. I can't see how he wouldn't at least be the WCHA D of the week, without knowing what transpired in other leagues, perhaps even NCAA player of the week.

I agree. He stepped it up in a big way ... which is very good to see.

One thing I noted from both games this weekend was the play of Chorney. I can't see how he wouldn't at least be the WCHA D of the week, without knowing what transpired in other leagues, perhaps even NCAA player of the week.

I completely agree. The way he has been playing lately has been totally unacceptable and this weekend he stepped up. He actually looked like a leader out there and I was really happy to see that. I hope this is the start of a fantastic second half for him!! Finally, a sweep too!!! Yay!!!!!

Maybe more later but one comment on watching these games this weekend is that we were impressed with Davidson. As far as I'm concerned he can keep on playing. He's BIG, but you might expect a big lug to look immobile out there. We were impressed with how mobile he seemed (to us) and that he was effective on the ice. Go Davidson!

Oh, and for those who felt that announcing the Holy Cross score during the gopher games was in bad taste, apparently they announce the score at every game, not just the gopher games. They were announced both nights this past weekend, anyway. That, in itself, takes some of the "in your face" out of it for me.

two great games of sioux hockey! i agree that miller is not the third piece on our top line. hak tried it, it doesn't seem to be working. my vote is to reinvent the DOT line. trupp has really come into his own the past few weeks, i think he could really click on that top line. team defense was phenomenal. chorney finally played to his billing, and finley is turning into a monster on the blue line. lets keep this going into mankato! as to some of the whining about each other on here, it goes both ways. i agree that we shouldn't be making personal attacks on any of our players or coaches, but that is not to say we can't discuss their play, good or bad. and to those who then respond to these remarks with personal attacks on the poster, you just make it worse. the one thing most of us have in common is that we are sioux fans, we should work with that. this is a message board, it is here for discussion, but we can keep it clean. nothing good will come from anonymously attacking a fellow sioux fan whom you most likely don't know. one last note, i think we have a realistic chance of taking over du for the #2 spot, so lets keep the W train rolling! then who knows, maybe cc will have a meltdown :D (a sioux fan can dream)

my vote is to reinvent the DOT line. trupp has really come into his own the past few weeks, i think he could really click on that top line.

Why not try it, that line would be as dynamic as heck. The other teams would be running ragged trying to keep up with Trupp which should buy Oshie and Duncan a bit of room to work.

Why not try it, that line would be as dynamic as heck. The other teams would be running ragged trying to keep up with Trupp which should buy Oshie and Duncan a bit of room to work.

Which guy out of that group is going to work the corners? :D Oshie looked like a runaway locomotive on a couple shifts...I bet Dobson for MTU will keep his head up from now on...:D

I like that idea. My only concern is I'm wondering if he's big enough. The one thing I noticed that Miller seemed to be lacking this weekend was the strength to go into the corners and fight. While I love Trupp and think he is going to be a real dynamo for this team, I just don't know if having only Oshie as the big body on that line will work. One of the things that was great about the DOT line from last year was it was impossible to get either Oshie or Toews off the puck, so they could hang onto it in the zone until a shot developed.

My simple observations:

1) This was clearly a team sweep, great team defense. They played the passing lanes very well. MTU just had great trouble getting anything started.

2) Finley was a man among boys - He was absolutely rock solid all weekend.

3) We had a new Radke out there this weekend. He played with his head and he was a force to be reckoned with. He backed off when there was a chance of a penalty but fought for the puck when he needed to.

4) Darcy Zajac is developing into a very tough player, absolutely strong on the puck along the wall.

5) Trupp's motor never shuts down. Although he is small, he could be a good fit for the DOT line as he plays much bigger than his size.

6) The penalty kill was very aggressive and very impressive. We had more shots on goal short-handed than MTU did on the power play.

7) Genoway plays solid defense and is clearly an offensive leader from the blue line. What an asset.

8) Davidson did not look out of place and could be a big contributor down the road.

9) I will admit that I never thought Marto could step up his play after watching him in the USHL. He does need some work on his defense, but his offensive skills are there and he is a fast skater.

10) VV is a face-off dominator going 14-4 on Friday night.

11) The goals came from all over the team. Very nice to see. Balance is tough to defend against.

The real reason the Sioux swept is that both nights Mrs. Siouxman and I switched tickets (but not seats). That is the first time we have ever done that. Oh, I also wore white on Friday and green on Saturday. Don't plan to change any of that as long as the Sioux keep winning.

:D

I like that idea. My only concern is I'm wondering if he's big enough. The one thing I noticed that Miller seemed to be lacking this weekend was the strength to go into the corners and fight. While I love Trupp and think he is going to be a real dynamo for this team, I just don't know if having only Oshie as the big body on that line will work. One of the things that was great about the DOT line from last year was it was impossible to get either Oshie or Toews off the puck, so they could hang onto it in the zone until a shot developed.

Agree completely. Miller is a different player on a big sheet of ice when the game becomes more fluid and fast. His skating and skills look much better. On our home ice he just doesn't have enough room to operate and is just not strong enough. The way Davidson and Matrens have played why not try Trupp or Kozek on the 1st line?? Kozek would provide some jump and more toughness. Osh and Kozek on the same line might wake a few opponents up!!

While I agree with you on Trupp not being a big guy, he's much more willing than Miller to play along the boards and way more capable of being effective with puck possession. I don't think you can compare the two when contemplating who should play on the first line because other than size they do play different games.

Good to see the sweep - better to see it done playing well in all aspects.

Good to see people wanting this board to remain spirited - yet civil (for the most part).

I LOVE watching Trupp and he may be work out on the top line. I think we would be better served by putting a guy who is a little stronger on the puck (although he is not bad for his size) . That is why I am thinking we put VV back up there. I thought when he was up there earlier in the year it worked as well or better than any other guy they have tried on first line. I feel like that was an effective line and any in-effectivity they may have shown was probably more mental than anything. Now that everyone is older and wiser - put him back up there. I think he creates good space for the other guys AND can snipe.

Good to see people wanting this board to remain spirited - yet civil (for the most part).

I LOVE watching Trupp and he may be work out on the top line. I think we would be better served by putting a guy who is a little stronger on the puck (although he is not bad for his size) . That is why I am thinking we put VV back up there. I thought when he was up there earlier in the year it worked as well or better than any other guy they have tried on first line. I feel like that was an effective line and any in-effectivity they may have shown was probably more mental than anything. Now that everyone is older and wiser - put him back up there. I think he creates good space for the other guys AND can snipe.

I think the 2nd line became a lot stronger with VV on it. The team is better with Kaip, Watkins and VV together.

Oshie centering Dunc & Trupp would be sweet - get Oshie the puck behind the net & get Trupp & Dunc in scoring position & like Sat. Chorney goal let Oshie feed someone out front - It would be like the Tony Hrkacs days (if there is a rebound all three will be there to put it in)

VV at a wing then?? Oshie looks strong at center. I like VV with Watkins and Kiap. Not disagreeing but think robbing Peter to pay Paul might not be the best solution. I'd give trupp or Kozek a shot on the top line this weekend.