SiouxSports.com Forum

new coach?

UND92,96

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the discussions I've had with players both Tibesar and Mussman would be welcomed. Between the two and I don't think we could go wrong with either one. Any other candidates either internal or external probably wouldnt' be a good choice.

Why wouldn't Tesch or Sawyer wouldn't be good choices (assuming they are interested)?

Those are good points, but what about the 3-4 defensive coaching? Since Bubba and Tibesar left, the defense has declined. Those two know how to implement that defense well. Bubba seems headed to SIU as def coordinator, which seems much more suited for him than head coaching material.

Mussman and Tibesar seem like the only real choices for the program to stay in rhythm. Tibesar, however, seems to have more upside (but more likely to leave quickly, also).

As for the 3-4 defense I think another coach from K-State with UND ties would be an excellent choice. Josh Kotelnicki probably should have gotten the job when Tibesar left but didn't have enough experience when the position opened up. I think if either Tibesar or Mussman get the job he'd be given strong consideration for the DC position.

Why wouldn't Tesch or Sawyer wouldn't be good choices (assuming they are interested)?

It would be a big jump for both of them. I can't see where either of these guys would even have an idea about the type of athletes we need to compete at this level. The NSIC hasn't really prepared either of them for the level of competition they'll see in the FCS division. Tesch hasn't even been able to put together a consistent winner in the NSIC and Sawyer's gimmick offenses won't work against the superior athletes seen at programs of our level.

Mussman is the front-runner and Tibesar would be given consideration if he is in fact interested (which seem doubful). Mussman would be an excellent choice. He's turned down other head coaching jobs in the past. Mankato has offered him their job twice and I'm sure some other schools have knocked on his door as well. He's recruited a lot of the kids on our roster and even though Lennon won the awards, Mussman was out there doing most of the legwork. Plus, the evidence speaks for itself when he's been given free reign to run the offense as he has the last two years. Besides, other than Tibesar I can't think of a compelling outside candidate who I'd find better than Mussman. I mean really what have Tesch and Schweigert shown as head coaches. Neither has really had tremendous success. Sawyer would be a poor choice unless you'd like to see UND running gimmick offenses and hoping to bore their opponents to death. We stand more to lose than a single recruiting class by wasting time on an external search that may or may not turn up a candidate better than Mussman. Their isn't anything keeping our current players here. You risk losing alot of them if you bring in an outside candidate who wants his to do things his way and with his players.

That seems rather hard to believe considering he's on record as being interested in the Mankato job again this time around (at least before Lennon's departure) despite the impending scholarship cut necessitated by joining the NSIC.

That seems rather hard to believe considering he's on record as being interested in the Mankato job again this time around (at least before Lennon's departure) despite the impending scholarship cut necessitated by joining the NSIC.

When Holley left Mankato, the job was Mussman's if he wanted it. He turned it down and they hired Jamrog. If he chose to pursue the job this this time around he'd get it as well. Lennon's departure caught the assistant's by surprise as well, for all he knew Lennon could have coached the next 10 years. There are a lot of head coaching positions he could have if he wanted them.

When Holley left Mankato, the job was Mussman's if he wanted it. He turned it down and they hired Jamrog. If he chose to pursue the job this this time around he'd get it as well. Lennon's departure caught the assistant's by surprise as well, for all he knew Lennon could have coached the next 10 years. There are a lot of head coaching positions he could have if he wanted them.

Excellent post. Mussman is the right guy for the job. I don't understand the hand wringing that is going on about finding a replacement. He has already been found, and he is an excellent choice.

Excellent post. Mussman is the right guy for the job. I don't understand the hand wringing that is going on about finding a replacement. He has already been found, and he is an excellent choice.

I have little doubt that Mussman will be named the next coach. I don't know enough about him to have a positive or negative feeling. I think the first indication will be whether any of the recruits back out of their verbals, and whether Mussman can land the same caliber of recruits that Lennon was getting.

Perfect world scenario for me would be this-

Mussman hired as Head Coach

Breitbach promoted to OC (has previous experience at other schools and from talking to players knows what he is doing)

Lennon takes Belmore, Mannausau, and Kelling with him (won't be missed, trust me)

Kotelnicki hired as DC/ILB's (maybe Digger for ILB's if he is still around).

Schmidt stays at OLB's.

Wagner and Flyger at DL.

Anyone off the street would be better as DB coach (Kotelnicki may have some people for this or DL position).

Once again, anyone off the street to coach the WR's.

GA for TE's.

Mussman stays with QB's.

Fighting Sioux continue to roll!

Perfect world scenario for me would be this-

Mussman hired as Head Coach

Breitbach promoted to OC (has previous experience at other schools and from talking to players knows what he is doing)

Lennon takes Belmore, Mannausau, and Kelling with him (won't be missed, trust me)

Kotelnicki hired as DC/ILB's (maybe Digger for ILB's if he is still around).

Schmidt stays at OLB's.

Wagner and Flyger at DL.

Anyone off the street would be better as DB coach (Kotelnicki may have some people for this or DL position).

Once again, anyone off the street to coach the WR's.

GA for TE's.

Mussman stays with QB's.

Fighting Sioux continue to roll!

Has anyone heard who is going with Lennon? My guess would be Belmore, Schmidt and either Kelling or Mannausau, BUT IT IS ONLY A GUESS.

Perhaps when Mussman is hired as HC he'll hire a DC that runs a normal defense (IE, 4 DL).

Yeah, hopefully Belicheck and Tomlin will figure that out to and start running a "normal" defense in Pittsburgh and New England. Maybe Turner in San Diego and Phillips in Dallas will do the same then. Those must be four of the worst defenses in the NFL, right?

It's very well known that Tomlin runs a 4-3 defense.

He had one of the best run defenses in the NFL at Minnesota last season.

He let the current DC at Pittsburgh continue running his 34.

That isn't even the point. What about the other three? If the 4-3 defense is all the rage, why didn't he make him change?

Minnesota still has one of the best run defenses in the NFL, so what's your point?

That "DC" in Pitt is LeBeau, who happens to be considered one of the greatest defensive minds of all-time.

Just admit you were trolling, and have no basis for what you said.

That isn't even the point. What about the other three? If the 4-3 defense is all the rage, why didn't he make him change?

Minnesota still has one of the best run defenses in the NFL, so what's your point?

That "DC" in Pitt is LeBeau, who happens to be considered one of the greatest defensive minds of all-time.

Just admit you were trolling, and have no basis for what you said.

The 34 is a great defense if you have a great nose gaurd. It all starts there. Cal Poly runs with three d-linemen a lot, and with the exception of last year (they were very young with 6 new starters and they also lost their stud NG in the first game) they are usually one of the top defenses in the FCS/I-AA.

I am hoping to hear that UND has hired a coach by the end of the week so they do not lose any momentum in recruiting. Good luck. I am pulling for Mussman. He seems to be a coach that can continue the momentum that Lennon has started.

On the Fighting Sioux websight, Lennon gives a 5 minute video farewell.

Some excerpts:

My departure is not going to end my association with the football program by any means, and in fact in some ways I think I can even be as helpful with the connection with the Gateway Football Conference, with the Summit and putting in a good word for the University of North Dakota because I do know that the reputation of the school is very strong and people around the country have a very positive impression of how we do things in the athletic department.

An informal endorsement of Mussman:

For me to leave, I would have never left a program in a state where it wasn't on a solid foundation. I'm excited by the fact that there's a chance that an internal candidate (will) receive the position, and I know if that happens the philosophies will all be there. When the players return from Christmas break there will be the a head coach in place who will be running the same offense and defense and special teams. It's so going to seem very familiar to the players. If that can happen I think that's a good thing and that's the right direction.

I think that Mussman is the right choice for this particular situation. He has been a coordinator for a long time now (first at Mankato). I don't think we would have won a national championship in 2001 if he hadn't taken over the offense that season. He knows the program, players, systems and philosophies as well as Lennon. He has patiently paid his dues, done his job well and deserves a chance at running his own show for a change. The sooner we hire him, the sooner he can get his staff set up how he wants it, reassure the incoming recruits that no drastic changes are going to happen and prepare for our first season as a DI FCS program.

I think that Mussman is the right choice for this particular situation. He has been a coordinator for a long time now (first at Mankato). I don't think we would have won a national championship in 2001 if he hadn't taken over the offense that season. He knows the program, players, systems and philosophies as well as Lennon. He has patiently paid his dues, done his job well and deserves a chance at running his own show for a change. The sooner we hire him, the sooner he can get his staff set up how he wants it, reassure the incoming recruits that no drastic changes are going to happen and prepare for our first season as a DI FCS program.

I agree.

Why don't we go after Bohl? He has done well down at "MOO U" and why would anyone want to work there when they could be at UND?

He seems like the obvious choice and the way to get our program back on its feet.

Lennon made around 100K. He left for a 200K total pakage. Right now, Bohl makes a total package of 200K and according to the Forum, they want to make the NDSU coach one of the 3 highest paid in FCS football which means he should be getting a raise closer to 300K. I don't know if your being sarcastic but Bohl is out of your price range.

Now if we were talking about Hockey it would be a different story.

As logical as it seems to promote from within... let me throw this at ya.

Right now your heading into the transition with a great team that will compete right away. It's exciting but the games are meaningless.

Wouldn't this be the perfect time to bring in the best qualified outside candidate and to work toward building a championship program by 2012? It's a case of taking a small step back to take a step forward.

If you promote from within, you run the risk of hiring a guy that is unproven and inexperienced and you don't want to find out he sucks in 2 years and start over in 2010.

NDSU went from a 3 win team under Babich to a 9 win team that beat Montana under Bohl in his first year. That was with a brand new coaching staff across the board.

Why don't we go after Bohl? He has done well down at "MOO U" and why would anyone want to work there when they could be at UND?

they want to make the NDSU coach one of the 3 highest paid in FCS football which means he should be getting a raise closer to 300K. I don't know if your being sarcastic but Bohl is out of your price range.

It is easy to dream. But making things a reality is much easier. "out of our price range":D ?? ??

ha ;) Sorry, I have to laugh....It is one of the funnier things I have heard on this board. UND is the oldest and largest institute in the Dakotas. Has more national coverage than both NDSU and SDSU. Is one of the best colleges in the nation (NDSU is not), has more Division 1 titles than both NDSU, SDSU, and USD combined.

Should I go on? Out of UND's price range? I think not. ;)

As logical as it seems to promote from within... let me throw this at ya.

Right now your heading into the transition with a great team that will compete right away. It's exciting but the games are meaningless.

Wouldn't this be the perfect time to bring in the best qualified outside candidate and to work toward building a championship program by 2012? It's a case of taking a small step back to take a step forward.

If you promote from within, you run the risk of hiring a guy that is unproven and inexperienced and you don't want to find out he sucks in 2 years and start over in 2010.

NDSU went from a 3 win team under Babich to a 9 win team that beat Montana under Bohl in his first year. That was with a brand new coaching staff across the board.

These are good points and I would add that maybe it's time to take a new direction as the team moves up a division, but I don't think you will get that many out of house applicants who are truly ready for the challenge of building for 2012. That's a tough sell I think.

Btw is it 2012 or more like 2014?