SiouxSports.com Forum

new coach?

UND92,96

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious question here... has the predictability the last few years on offense been because of Mussman's, or Lennon's strategy?

As with any other opening lately, does the newcomer have to come with UND ties? This is going to throw a wrench into the AD search. I'm thinking they name Mussman interim, with the assumption that the new AD will evaluate at the end of next season.

How do you replace a head football coach when you have no AD and a lame-duck President? This has the dreaded "interim" written all over it.

I suspect Harmeson will be largely responsible for hiring the new coach. I tend to think Mussman is probably going to get the job because he's been assistant head coach for a few years, and it would provide for some continuity. The wild card is Tibesar. He'd be taking a paycut, but he'd have better job security and with a young child, it may be attractive to get out of the high pressure, big business world of I-A major conference football. Also, his brother is on the team right now for whatever that's worth. I definitely think Harmeson should be on the phone with him today to gauge whether he would have any interest.

Mussman? Bubba? RT? Tibesar? (a longshot) Who are some other obvious candidates?

Tom Dosch?

Is this a situation where Lennon may take some of his assistants with him?

With no A.D. in place, and being a ways into the off-season, I suspect Mussman has about a 90% chance of becoming the next head coach.

How do you replace a head football coach when you have no AD and a lame-duck President? This has the dreaded "interim" written all over it.
My thoughts exactly. Perhaps they could just use the results of the last search and the runner-up, Hedberg, as the coach. He's available. :glare:

A decision needs to be made quickly, because Mussman may choose Mankato if he doesn't have assurance that he will be on a future UND staff.

The effects on recruiting may really be harmful.

Off the top of my head, my preferences would be

1. Kyle Schweigert

2. Tim Tibesar

3. Roger Thomas

4. Craig Bohl

5. Tom Dosch

6. Chris Mussman

7. Randy Hedberg

A real shocker for UND isnt it. Well it shouldnt be too much shock as Lennon has been on the look for new turf for 2 or 3 yrs. now. I say if the players like him, go with Mussman and Hedberg at OC or DC. Good luck, you'll need it, no AD, no Pres. whew!!!!!!!!!!

Randy Hedberg's recent problems (effectively relieved as head coach) at SCSU make me wonder if they are associated in some way ....

Is Mike Mannausau (sp) ready?

TSic

Are you suggesting that Hedberg's reassignment has something to do with Coach Lennon leaving for SIU? Or vice versa?

I'm sure DeBoer is a fine coach, but does UND want someone with no NCAA experience during the transition to D-I? I doubt it.

In my mind Tibesar is the top candidate for the job and he should be hired ASAP if he is interested. The situation at Kansas State is not very rosy right now, with several assistants leaving over the past two years since Ron Prince was hired. Even though he has an FBS coordinator job it may not be that far-fetched for Tibesar to very interested because the ship may be sinking at KSU.

I believe Tim is under contract for one more year, so he will not be leaving KSU for UND at this time....

I agree with UND92,96 that Bubba Schweigert will become the DC at Southern Illinois....

Dale will probably take at least one, maybe two Asstiants from UND with him to Southern Illinois....

I believe UND will go internally and hire Chris Mussman (9 years at UND) to be their next Head Football Coach....

The next five years of transition will be a learning experience for us all....

Go Sioux....! :glare:

In my mind Tibesar is the top candidate for the job and he should be hired ASAP if he is interested. The situation at Kansas State is not very rosy right now, with several assistants leaving over the past two years since Ron Prince was hired. Even though he has an FBS coordinator job it may not be that far-fetched for Tibesar to very interested because the ship may be sinking at KSU.

Tibesar would easily be the best choice of the guys we've mentioned here on day 1 of our informal search committee. Not that it means anything, but Ron Prince is currently #16 on CoachesHotSeat.com. If Tibesar has any inkling that his days of employment at Kansas St. are approaching an end, perhaps that will persuade him to consider this opportunity at UND.

Tell me again:

Contracts with coaches mean what exactly .... ?

All of them have "out" clauses.

They are pretty much useless as far as the employer is concerned. A coach may leave at any time, but cannot be fired without receiving a huge buyout.

Dale was under contract until 2010.

It would be alot simpler to just pay our coaches an hourly wage.

I believe Tim is under contract for one more year, so he will not be leaving KSU for UND at this time....

I agree with UND92,96 that Bubba Schweigert will become the DC at Southern Illinois....

Dale will probably take at least one, maybe two Asstiants from UND with him to Southern Illinois....

I believe UND will go internally and hire Chris Mussman (9 years at UND) to be their next Head Football Coach....

Well, Tibesar's contract situation doesn't really matter... coaches that are under contract leave all the time for other jobs.

I do agree on Mussman, however. I think he would make a fine head coach at UND, I just personally would prefer Tibesar.

Walrus:

In your humble opinion, why did Lennon leave?