• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the job posting on UND's web page:

POSITION: Head Football Coach, UND Athletics, #08-177

DEADLINE: (I) 1/4/2008

SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience

DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:

Responsible for all aspects of the intercollegiate football program including recruiting, scheduling practice/game management, academic supervision of student-athletes, public relations and fundraising in compliance with rules and regulations of the NCAA, Great West Conference and UND. Must maintain contact with football alumni and participate in athletic department fundraising and booster club activities. Duties will include recruitment, training and supervision of football coaching staff. Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills and have strong organizational skills. Serve as spokesperson for the UND football program. Must be able to develop and maintain sport budget. Must have an effective professional working relationship with student athletes, staff, administrators, alumni and public. Responsible for success of team performance, student-athlete academic performance, eligibility and behavioral conduct. Teach two credits per year in the Physical Education, Exercise Science, Wellness Department as assigned.

CRITERIA FOR SELECTION:

Bachelor's degree required, Master's preferred. Requires previous football collegiate coaching experience; head coaching experience preferred. Must have ability to evaluate and recruit viable student-athletes. Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations required. Must be able to plan, organize and develop game strategies for practice and game implementation. Ability to interact positively with colleagues, students and community constituents essential. Must possess strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills. Requires a strong personal commitment toward the academic well being of the student athlete. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.

EDIT: This is listed internally, so not everyone can access it if they go to the UND site...that's why I quoted it instead of posting a link

Sources say he will bring 2 or 3 of his North Dakota assistants with him to SIU

So who would be the most likely to go?

Top Five in my mind:

Mussman - He played at Iowa State and came from MSU-Mankato (Owatonna native)

Kelling - Rochester, MN native via MSU-Mankato (grad) and Augustana (wife is WBB assistant coach)

Mannausau - UND grad from Int'l Falls, MN

Belmore - Twin Cities guy from Gustavus Adolphus (recruiting coordinator)

Schmidt - UND grad from Mandan, ND

Any of those wouldn't surprise me. Mussman and Kelling being SE Minnesota guys seem all too logical. Taking the recruiting coordinator (Twin Cities guy) seems so too.

Fortunately, UND does things the right way and has skilled people out there to either draw from or get advice from to backfill positions if need be.

Anyone else really uncomfortable with Brekke being the one hiring a coach? No offense but 18 months ago he was working at a bank in Cavalier, ND!!! Now he's filling the head job of the sport that was behind pushing for the DI move.

This athletic department is in big trouble right now. There is no leadership in place and huge decisions are being made in regards to long term situations. Damn Dale. This was a terrible time to jump ship!!! :glare:

Anyone else really uncomfortable with Brekke being the one hiring a coach? No offense but 18 months ago he was working at a bank in Cavalier, ND!!! Now he's filling the head job of the sport that was behind pushing for the DI move.

This athletic department is in big trouble right now. There is no leadership in place and huge decisions are being made in regards to long term situations. Damn Dale. This was a terrible time to jump ship!!! :glare:

Brekke will do fine. He will do what's the best for the program. And that's why I believe it will be someone internal or with UND ties. I believe he knows more about UND athletic's than Buning. Who would you rather have pick the next coach Buning or Brekke?

So who would be the most likely to go?

Top Five in my mind:

Mussman - He played at Iowa State and came from MSU-Mankato (Owatonna native)

Kelling - Rochester, MN native via MSU-Mankato (grad) and Augustana (wife is WBB assistant coach)

Mannausau - UND grad from Int'l Falls, MN

Belmore - Twin Cities guy from Gustavus Adolphus (recruiting coordinator)

Schmidt - UND grad from Mandan, ND

Any of those wouldn't surprise me. Mussman and Kelling being SE Minnesota guys seem all too logical. Taking the recruiting coordinator (Twin Cities guy) seems so too.

Fortunately, UND does things the right way and has skilled people out there to either draw from or get advice from to backfill positions if need be.

Let's say for the sake of argument that Mussman does go with Lennon to SIU, along with Bubba. Let's also assume Tibesar says thanks, but no thanks. Then where does UND look? Tesch? Sawyer from Winona? Some recently-fired I-A coordinator who has had success in the past, a la what NDSU did when they hired Bohl?

Let's say for the sake of argument that Mussman does go with Lennon to SIU, along with Bubba. Let's also assume Tibesar says thanks, but no thanks. Then where does UND look? Tesch? Sawyer from Winona? Some recently-fired I-A coordinator who has had success in the past, a la what NDSU did when they hired Bohl?

Mussman is looking for a head coaching job. I don't think he will follow Lennon even thought there might be a chance.

Either of those would do very well.

I was told UND doesn't plan to open the job and will appoint Mussman. I was told by the same source that Tibesar would be interested. I wonder if Bohl will apply. He may wish to upgrade.

Watch UND press conference.

I wouldn't be so quick to hand Mussman the job just yet.

From watching/listening to the press conference, I would say Brekke has a very good grasp of what the tradition of UND football means. I would trust that this is not something that will be decided on a whim.

Mussman may indeed get the job, but it sounded to me like it is going to be a process that is done the right way, exploring all options. Brekke even indicated that he had received a letter of interest/application from someone on his Blackberry today.

Besides, if Mussman becomes a head coach, he will be going to Minnesota State Mankato, according to what Jeremy Jorgensen was saying on 740 the Fan today. Who would want to coach at UND? :glare:

I have no problem with promoting from within but what about Chuck Martin?

I was thinking the same thing. Chuck seems to know how to beat UND.

Anyone know what the pay scale is for a POWER HOUSE D2 football school is?:glare:

Three former players for GVSU on NFL rosters for this weekend. Makes one wonder

if Chuck would be interested in UND during a transition period. God help us

if Ralston is still here when a new coach is hired IMHO. Note IMHO!!!

See --->(Micro mgt of hockey cheerleaders)

Didn't Dale's wife just land a nice job in the rural health field?A field that I thought was HER passion :lol:

Didn't Dale's wife just land a nice job in the rural health field?A field that I thought was HER passion :glare:

"$200,000 a year, let's go honey!"

Dale said in the press conference that he'll bring some North Dakota coaches with him. Wonder which ones? He also said that there was another coach from another program that he's worked with in the past, and he almost made it sound like that person will come. Bubba?

Pretty good press conference, but tough to see him go.

Dale said in the press conference that he'll bring some North Dakota coaches with him. Wonder which ones? He also said that there was another coach from another program that he's worked with in the past, and he almost made it sound like that person will come. Bubba?

Pretty good press conference, but tough to see him go.

It almost has to be Bubba, so that SIU can implement the 3-4 defense quickly.

So now, UND, UMD, SCSU, and Mankato will all simultaneously be without head coaches.

I was told UND doesn't plan to open the job and will appoint Mussman. I was told by the same source that Tibesar would be interested. I wonder if Bohl will apply. He may wish to upgrade.

I've heard the same. No offense to Mussman, but I think it would be a big mistake not to talk to Tibesar. He seems like the ideal candidate.