SiouxSports.com Forum

PA Announcer

Displaced Nodak

I think basically that is what it all boils down to Is jealousy. The fact that Minnesota used to have all the advantages with their arena and their propaganda ministry and now lowly North Dakota has just the same if not more advantage when it comes to recruiting. Some in the Gopher nation are sore that the Goofs don't have that self perceived advantages anymore. I am surprised they didn't lodge a formal complaint against UND after it the REA was built (how dare they). That is why you hear all the petty B.S. about Englestad being the Nazi palace and Riegstad etc.

When is that last time you hung a Banner?

Where were you playing? Its not jealousy, some people are idiots that's the problem. I thought it was funny, the Holy Cross crap had a 1 year shelf life. The chick in the penalty box was funny. I wish this stuff were more common today, as long as its tastefully done. I am all for it. Kudos to the Ralph!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Gopher fan, I'm over the whole HC thing.

But here's my thought.

I'm fine with your PA announcer saying it as long as those UND fans who support would be okay with comments from other PA guys. Say the Denver PA guy had said "Noticeably absent form tonights line up is Robbie Bina" last season to rev up the fans who enjoyed watching Punk-o-witch.

After all, according to you, it's not about being professional. it's about playing to eh fans without saying anything vulgar.

If your over the whole "hc" HOLY CROSS thing.....why are you posting about it?:glare:?

hey, is Stoa recovered yet so we can make fun of his injury??? see that makes a LOT of sense doesn't it?

As a Gopher fan, I'm over the whole HC thing.

But here's my thought.

I'm fine with your PA announcer saying it as long as those UND fans who support would be okay with comments from other PA guys. Say the Denver PA guy had said "Noticeably absent form tonights line up is Robbie Bina" last season to rev up the fans who enjoyed watching Punk-o-witch.

After all, according to you, it's not about being professional. it's about playing to eh fans without saying anything vulgar.

Ugh! I can't believe you would type that....Cop doors and fake money, yes. Every fan base has these people. I wish natural selection would work faster :glare:

Or, to make it a better comparison, because Bina is a bit out there. How about if our PA announcer gave countdown clock updates in the number the years, months, weeks and days untill the end of the fighting Sioux name.

That's a better example, anyway. It sure would make me want to win the game more.

Someone on GPL actually e-mailed the Media relations guy at UND about the announcement. :glare: Got a response from the guy too. UNBELIEVABLE.

I sent an email to UND right after the game on Friday regarding the Holy Cross comment by the PA announcer. Here is their response:

Mr. Cliff,

Thanks for your note.

For anyone who found that comment offensive, I apologize on behalf of our arena and athletic program. Certainly no intentional slight or disrespect was intended to the University of Minnesota's outstanding men's hockey program. I do believe that the interaction between the two schools and programs is conducted with the highest degree of professionalism.

PA announcements and scoreboard announcements are meant to entertain the crowd. If you attend regular college or professional sporting events, I am sure you understand there are a certain amount of scoreboard displays, music, and inflections by the public address announcement that are for this purpose and serve to help create a "home ice (field or court) advantage." That is what the intention was with that particular announcement. These type of announcements are intended as friendly ways to get the crowd involved--nothing more.

However, we do understand your opinion, and the opinions of some others who may feel that this particular PA announcement was in poor taste. Therefore, we are sorry for any offense taken at this announcement and any subsequent misunderstanding that has resulted. Again, our sincerest apologies to those who might not have understood the intent of this announcement or to those who feel it should not have been made.

We will make every effort to be careful about our public address announcements in the future to avoid such misunderstandings.

We have a great deal of respect for the University of Minnesota and all of our opponents.

Thank you for your thoughts, and I hope this response helps alleviate some of your concerns.

Best wishes,

Dan Benson

Media Relations Director

University of North Dakota Athletics

You know the thing people don't think about sometimes is that the announcement may have actually fired up the Gophers as well....for the players that were in that game. I worry about this world and where it's heading sometimes. :ohmy:

I can't believe that Benson would respond to this skippy.

Yes and no. Granted, the Bina thing was worse because it supports cheap play. But one could argue the HC thing supports poor sportsmanship between the programs. Both are lame.

And it's not like the Bina incident ended his career (could have, but didn't). He's still out their at a high level.

But all that said, I still have no problem with the HC thing. It's like UMD refferring to us as UMTC on their scoreboard. it's their little rip, and good for them.

And, the Holy Cross incident didn't end the Gohpers career, just put it on hold for about 7 months.

The Bina injury/Holy Cross victory was the worse comparison I have ever seen.

well now I wouldn't be surpised if when we go down to the john in february that they announce a BC score just to get at our goat being they've eliminated us the last 2 years. :glare:

yeah,because BC = HC

i talked to many gopher fans who laughed as they should have and a few that didnt care either way

I'm just glad Tom Buning wasn't there Friday night. The egos of many Gophers fans couldn't have survived such humiliation. :ohmy:

:glare:

If they announce something like this at Mariucci we should either a. ignore it or b. stand up and cheer for it. Don't let them know it gets to you.

well now I wouldn't be surpised if when we go down to the john in february that they announce a BC score just to get at our goat being they've eliminated us the last 2 years. :glare:

Lol, that is funny, probably won't happen because UND will probably be putting the finishing touches of a sweep of the Rodents. :ohmy::ohmy:

Yes and no. Granted, the Bina thing was worse because it supports cheap play. But one could argue the HC thing supports poor sportsmanship between the programs. Both are lame.

And it's not like the Bina incident ended his career (could have, but didn't). He's still out their at a high level.

But all that said, I still have no problem with the HC thing. It's like UMD refferring to us as UMTC on their scoreboard. it's their little rip, and good for them.

I suppose you wouldnt mind making fun of Travis Roy either! you are heartless for even bringing up a players injury of that magnitude! There would be no argument from from anyone because once you brought that up, I would hope someone would punch you in the face!