Displaced Nodak

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PA Announcer at The Ralph: "...and Holy Cross is off this weekend."

BEAUTIFUL!!!

"F" THE GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was funny, there are a few that think IT LACKED CLASS. Funny, funny...

Apparently there are a few other thin skinned people that got their butts all chapped about the Basketball coach calling the Gophers the Goofs.

I thought it was funny, there are a few that think IT LACKED CLASS. Funny, funny...

Apparently there are a few other thin skinned people that got their butts all chapped about the Basketball coach calling the Gophers the Goofs.

Other things that lack class...jersey popping.

I could hear the PA announcer on TV announce that Holy Cross was off for the night (I definitely laughed). Not sure if it was the Woog or Maz, but one or the other commented something about not taking enjoyment out of other's misfortunes. Would have preferred to have watched the Fighting Sioux SN, but compared to the clowns that do the Wisco games, Woogy and the Maz aren't too bad.

Other things that lack class...jersey popping.

I could hear the PA announcer on TV announce that Holy Cross was off for the night (I definitely laughed). Not sure if it was the Woog or Maz, but one or the other commented something about not taking enjoyment out of other's misfortunes. Would have preferred to have watched the Fighting Sioux SN, but compared to the clowns that do the Wisco games, Woogy and the Maz aren't too bad.

Anyone else get sick of hearing "Minnesota has a 3 game win streak in this building?" No, now you have a 2 game losing streak. Sorry historical revisionists that Holy Cross game was still a loss.

Anyone else get sick of hearing "Minnesota has a 3 game win streak in this building?" No, now you have a 2 game losing streak. Sorry historical revisionists that Holy Cross game was still a loss.

Anyone have Masucko and Woog's email address so we can send them an email? I think that needs to be straightened out.

class? pffft ;)

I am convinced one of the reasons UND doesn't have the home advantage it ought to is due to people who whine about "class." A home hockey crowd needs to be able to stand all game, yell all it wants, have loud & obnoxious creative obscenity-laced cheers, etc. The new REA crowd has sucked the life out of our rink.

After spending 3 years watching UND at the REA, and the last two watching michigan at the Yost (supplemented with UND webcast & a trip home to nodak now & then), the home-crowd difference is palpable. The Yost band/cheers/crowd just rocks. We stand, heckle, swear, yell & dance all game. The REA, by contast, is comparatively cold, lifeless, & dead. Its a bigger rink, but in return the crowd fanaticism, enthusiasm, & intimidation factor have been diluted - and the administrative policies are just killing it, rather than amplifying the REA's advantages into positive home-crowd factor.

The PC fools got what they wanted, & now no visiting team is intimitated when they play UND at home. We need to get back to the days when a loud, obnoxious, frothy-mouthed crowd would leer & heckle the visitors. If you want "family night" go watch women's basketball ;)

If you can't parent effectively & teach your kids when swearing is & isn't appropriate, then don't take them to college hockey games & then blame UND for it & your own lack of ability to parent and teach your children how to deal with these situations. Get a babysitter, go to high school games, or watch it on the telly.

ugh, so over it

class? pffft ;)

I am convinced one of the reasons UND doesn't have the home advantage it ought to is due to people who whine about "class." A home hockey crowd needs to be able to stand all game, yell all it wants, have loud & obnoxious creative obscenity-laced cheers, etc. The new REA crowd has sucked the life out of our rink.

After spending 3 years watching UND at the REA, and the last two watching michigan at the Yost (supplemented with UND webcast & a trip home to nodak now & then), the home-crowd difference is palpable. The Yost band/cheers/crowd just rocks. We stand, heckle, swear, yell & dance all game. The REA, by contast, is comparatively cold, lifeless, & dead. Its a bigger rink, but in return the crowd fanaticism, enthusiasm, & intimidation factor have been diluted - and the administrative policies are just killing it, rather than amplifying the REA's advantages into positive home-crowd factor.

The PC fools got what they wanted, & now no visiting team is intimitated when they play UND at home. We need to get back to the days when a loud, obnoxious, frothy-mouthed crowd would leer & heckle the visitors. If you want "family night" go watch women's basketball ;)

If you can't parent effectively & teach your kids when swearing is & isn't appropriate, then don't take them to college hockey games & then blame UND for it & your own lack of ability to parent and teach your children how to deal with these situations. Get a babysitter, go to high school games, or watch it on the telly.

ugh, so over it

I'm not going to ague most of your points because they are mostly valid.

One thing I will disagree with you is regarding parents towards their children. Every day while I was on UND's campus I'd run across guys my age or a little younger who dropped obscenities left and right "F-ing this and f that" and it was just as bad at the games. Far be it for me to preach that students need to be angels, but we should not encourage outright stupidity. Parents try their hardest to bring up their kids in a respectful manner. Teaching them that it is ok to swear in whatever situation just doesn't cut it. And, when they are doing that and the kids hear people swearing they want to know why those people are allowed to swear and they are not. Also just why they are swearing and people are laughing at times about it may baffle them and cause the parents undue grief trying to explain how that is an apparent fun that their kids cannot be a part of. I may sound like a hypocrite, but I'm ok with some swearing but I'm not going to tolerate it if there are young ears about.

I've seen games in the Old Ralph and, yeah, they were pretty loud and vulgar, but they always (in my presence anyways) seemed to only take it to a certain point. The didn't chant F the Gophers 30+ times. They switched it up. A lot of my favorite chants didn't have obscenities in them (Black hole chant for example) a few did (Chanting the official's name Suck Bleep, and the Mickey Mouse chant). However, I do think we can be creative and not obscene if we really tried.

ugh, so over it

I parent by taking my kids out to do things together as a family. Paid off last night, as we got a very nice tour of the players gym, etc., and they got to meet some of the players.

I'm not going to ague most of your points because they are mostly valid.

One thing I will disagree with you is regarding parents towards their children. Every day while I was on UND's campus I'd run across guys my age or a little younger who dropped obscenities left and right "F-ing this and f that" and it was just as bad at the games. Far be it for me to preach that students need to be angels, but we should not encourage outright stupidity. Parents try their hardest to bring up their kids in a respectful manner. Teaching them that it is ok to swear in whatever situation just doesn't cut it. And, when they are doing that and the kids hear people swearing they want to know why those people are allowed to swear and they are not. Also just why they are swearing and people are laughing at times about it may baffle them and cause the parents undue grief trying to explain how that is an apparent fun that their kids cannot be a part of. I may sound like a hypocrite, but I'm ok with some swearing but I'm not going to tolerate it if there are young ears about.

I've seen games in the Old Ralph and, yeah, they were pretty loud and vulgar, but they always (in my presence anyways) seemed to only take it to a certain point. The didn't chant F the Gophers 30+ times. They switched it up. A lot of my favorite chants didn't have obscenities in them (Black hole chant for example) a few did (Chanting the official's name Suck Bleep, and the Mickey Mouse chant). However, I do think we can be creative and not obscene if we really tried.

I hear ya, I'm just saying a kid can understand that a college hockey game is a special thing w/ especially ludicrous fans & ok behavior there is not ok behavior everywhere else. My parents took my to the old REA games, & it was very clear to me that college hockey games were special - & it didn't mean that we could act like crazies anywhere we wanted. kids are smart - give em some credit. I don't think exposure to swearing as a young kid made me any worse for the wear.

Though I do agree too that we need some more creativity in the REA - thats one of my main premises. Student section needs to take it upon themselves to create some new chants, or bring old ones back. Somehow, the UND chants have regressed so much that we only have a few old stand-by's, & nothing really interesting any more - have we come up with something cool even in the last decade?? I challenge someone to come up with something funny, put a beat to it, & get some people to do it with you. Or just bring a cowbell to the game & start banging rythmns on it until ya come up with something. I donno, it just makes me sad to admit that michigan hockey's atmosphere knocks the crap out of the new REA

Or maybe REA needs to outreach to students & create a joint-committee where some selected students can have input into cross-implementing chants on our fancy jumbo-tron. Resources like that should make it easy to come up with fun ways to engage the crowd in creative ways. REA could make it real easy to solicit these fans - just put an application in all the student section seats for a game & watch the interest pour in.

I would just like to see some effort to engage the crowd more & bring it into the game since all we get is a "shout, shout, let it all out..." once a game & everyone yells loud for 10 seconds & then sits down ;) Thats starting to get old after the better part a decade..

HAHA. They have already mentioned the 3 game win streak and we're not even 2 minutes into the game!

class? pffft :lol:

The PC fools got what they wanted, & now no visiting team is intimitated when they play UND at home. We need to get back to the days when a loud, obnoxious, frothy-mouthed crowd would leer & heckle the visitors. If you want "family night" go watch women's basketball ???

ugh, so over it

I've been saying this all along now. 'Class' arguments are stupid. Yes there are instances when there is a legitimate reason for bring up a lack of class. I understand the family element to the atmosphere, but it is a COLLEGE event. I know that the Ralph has been taken over by the community for its commercial purpose, but come on, its hockey. It gets pretty lame, at the Ralph, and I know when I go up for my only game during the holiday break it will be lame. Take your children to the Thanksgiving and Christmas games if you are so concerned about profanity. From ages 6-9 I remember going to the fargodome and hearing chants about a certain ND team sucking "s***" I thought it was funny (obviously because I was a dumb kid who went to bison games), but I knew better than to repeat it.

Like it or not the F word is now a word & parents need to not let their children use the word - like lots of other words - If you have never used it ...good for you - but it no longer is as vulgar as it once was - I try to avoid it but hey if your perfect you should stay home :lol: F the Goophers

The Holy Cross statement was out of hand. If you're in the press box, you're not a fan, you're a professional, which means you should act like one.

Following your logic, the PA announcer is a classless jerk because of the way he emphasizes, "...Fighting Sioux scoooooring!!!," and merely recognizes the opponents' goal.

You people need to lighten up

The Holy Cross statement was out of hand. If you're in the press box, you're not a fan, you're a professional, which means you should act like one.

There needs to be a crying emoticon for this post. It's the fun of the rivalry that brings out that kind of statement from the PA guy. It's not like he was yelling F the Gophers over the intercom.

I'm all for a wild and intimidating atmosphere, but the lady that sits behind me really needed to get her mouth washed out with soap on Friday night. Everytime something bad happened regardless of how minor it was, like a bad pass, some kind of profanity came out of her mouth. Normally she is there with her kids and I know there were kids within range of her potty mouth. Maybe if UND played a half decent game, she wouldn't have to swear so much... :lol:

Following your logic, the PA announcer is a classless jerk because of the way he emphasizes, "...Fighting Sioux scoooooring!!!," and merely recognizes the opponents' goal.

You people need to lighten up

You tell me one other PA announcer in the conference that makes a comment like that, maybe that's because they understand that there is some class involved with it. The Gopher PA announcer might as well anounce the Ferris State score when were down there in February.

If we make it to the final five (hope), and when the X-cel announcer introduces the teams It would be ok then by your logic....

The Minnesota Golden Gophers vs The University of North Dakota's Hostile and Abusive "Fighting Sioux"

Umm... No. That is a conference tournament event. Is the gopher PA addressing that game? Because if memory serves me I believe the UND PA has had that job before. Regardless, you are failing to see the the lightheartedness of what happened. Yeah I guess my logic is flawed because I make a distinction between a harmless reference to a game two years ago and a political statement

I don't care if it is "professional" or not, but it is stupid. Yes Holy Cross beat the gophers (and i was there cheering for them), but it was almost 2 years ago. It seems like some fans cheer harder against a rival than they do for their (the Sioux) team.

You tell me one other PA announcer in the conference that makes a comment like that, maybe that's because they understand that there is some class involved with it. The Gopher PA announcer might as well anounce the Ferris State score when were down there in February.

Would that bother you? Because you are inferring that it would bother me, and it wouldnt. Even a rational gopher fan (if one exists) and a touchy Sioux fan shouldnt be bothered by something of such little significance. And also, would a Ferris St. reference even be relevant???

Umm... No. That is a conference tournament event. Is the gopher PA addressing that game? Because if memory serves me I believe the UND PA has had that job before. Regardless, you are failing to see the the lightheartedness of what happened. Yeah I guess my logic is flawed because I make a distinction between a harmless reference to a game two years ago and a political statement

I was under the assumtion, there are no rules, were just ribbing each other, having a little fun, it should be ok the call people names, show disrespect, use vuglarity, hell whatever floats your boat after all were in college right, that gives us a pass on class or being civil.

Would that bother you? Because you are inferring that it would bother me, and it wouldnt. Even a rational gopher fan (if one exists) and a touchy Sioux fan shouldnt be bothered by something of such little significance. And also, would a Ferris St. reference even be relevant???

The Ferris State comment is refering to the 2003 regional semifinal at Marriucci when the Sioux lost 5-2. As for the rest, you can have you're opinion and I'll have mine.