SiouxSports.com Forum

PA Announcer

Displaced Nodak

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the early 1990's, Pitt was playing host to West Virginia in football. In one of the all-time classic moments in PA announcer history, the Pitt PA guy (in the middle of the Mountaineers blowing out Pitt, by the way) broadcasts to the entire stadium a polite reminder that the "NO SMOKING" policy in the stadium includes corn cob pipes. Later in the game, he announces that there is a John Deere tractor in the parking lot with West Virginia license plates reading "E-I-E-I-O" with its lights on.

A hilarious stunt...but the West Virginia president took exception and mailed a letter to the Pitt president and the football announcer was removed from his position.

:glare: ESPN CLASSIC!

Thanks for giving me a good laugh. I was driving home and kind of bummed about the split, until I read your remarks. Your saying that: "Holy Cross is off this weekend" and: "the Gophers suck" are the same thing is completely laughable.

I do give you credit for writing though, I can only imagine how tough it must be without opposable thumbs. Hope your future generations keep evolving. Good Luck.

Look here, you don't have to agree with my opinion, but I'm wondering how many rinks you've been to around the country? I've been to many rinks around the country and have never heard a PA announcement like that. I think this gives my opinion a little validity, being more than just laughable. If you could provide me an example, then maybe I could give you credit for your writing.

Just making sure, don't need everyone on here going off on me, it was a long weekend! :ohmy::glare:

The only reason I mentioned it came from GPL is because that's where I was aware of the bit. Sorry if I put you in a tough spot. You're a gopher fan, so you have plenty of your own problems. :ohmy:

(It's kinda hard to type that after this weekend, I admit)

Look here, you don't have to agree with my opinion, but I'm wondering how many rinks you've been to around the country? I've been to many rinks around the country and have never heard a PA announcement like that. I think this gives my opinion a little validity, being more than just laughable. If you could provide me an example, then maybe I could give you credit for your writing.

I am pretty sure REA isn't the only place it happens. SCSU purposesly calls the Sioux North Dakota.

I mean we could whine about that too... :glare: Hell call us Canadian Sue I don't care.

I was up for both games this weekend and thought both the Holy Cross score and the photo of the womens hockey player in the penalty box where priceless. This is coming from a lifetime season tickets holder for the Gophers. I also agree with those who say the PA announcer should be able to things like this. It makes the games fun and gets the crowd going. His job is not to make 18-23 year old feel good about themselves. As long as he isn't yelling to kill the opponent or their fans what is it hurting??? If anyone took offense to anything he said this weekend they really need to step back and take a long look at themselves. That being said don't be surprised if it comes out that our gutless AD was somehow offended by it!

On a side note, it was a great weekend all around. I sat in two different section this weekends and the fans in both where great. Thanks to the UND fans for a fun weekend. Can't wait to be back next year.

Someone on GPL actually e-mailed the Media relations guy at UND about the announcement. :glare: Got a response from the guy too. UNBELIEVABLE.

I sent an email to UND right after the game on Friday regarding the Holy Cross comment by the PA announcer. Here is their response:

Mr. Cliff,

Thanks for your note.

For anyone who found that comment offensive, I apologize on behalf of our arena and athletic program. Certainly no intentional slight or disrespect was intended to the University of Minnesota's outstanding men's hockey program. I do believe that the interaction between the two schools and programs is conducted with the highest degree of professionalism.

PA announcements and scoreboard announcements are meant to entertain the crowd. If you attend regular college or professional sporting events, I am sure you understand there are a certain amount of scoreboard displays, music, and inflections by the public address announcement that are for this purpose and serve to help create a "home ice (field or court) advantage." That is what the intention was with that particular announcement. These type of announcements are intended as friendly ways to get the crowd involved--nothing more.

However, we do understand your opinion, and the opinions of some others who may feel that this particular PA announcement was in poor taste. Therefore, we are sorry for any offense taken at this announcement and any subsequent misunderstanding that has resulted. Again, our sincerest apologies to those who might not have understood the intent of this announcement or to those who feel it should not have been made.

We will make every effort to be careful about our public address announcements in the future to avoid such misunderstandings.

We have a great deal of respect for the University of Minnesota and all of our opponents.

Thank you for your thoughts, and I hope this response helps alleviate some of your concerns.

Best wishes,

Dan Benson

Media Relations Director

University of North Dakota Athletics

You know the thing people don't think about sometimes is that the announcement may have actually fired up the Gophers as well....for the players that were in that game. I worry about this world and where it's heading sometimes. :ohmy:

Someone on GPL actually e-mailed the Media relations guy at UND about the announcement. :glare: Got a response from the guy too. UNBELIEVABLE.

I sent an email to UND right after the game on Friday regarding the Holy Cross comment by the PA announcer. Here is their response:

Mr. Cliff,

Thanks for your note.

For anyone who found that comment offensive, I apologize on behalf of our arena and athletic program. Certainly no intentional slight or disrespect was intended to the University of Minnesota's outstanding men's hockey program. I do believe that the interaction between the two schools and programs is conducted with the highest degree of professionalism.

PA announcements and scoreboard announcements are meant to entertain the crowd. If you attend regular college or professional sporting events, I am sure you understand there are a certain amount of scoreboard displays, music, and inflections by the public address announcement that are for this purpose and serve to help create a "home ice (field or court) advantage." That is what the intention was with that particular announcement. These type of announcements are intended as friendly ways to get the crowd involved--nothing more.

However, we do understand your opinion, and the opinions of some others who may feel that this particular PA announcement was in poor taste. Therefore, we are sorry for any offense taken at this announcement and any subsequent misunderstanding that has resulted. Again, our sincerest apologies to those who might not have understood the intent of this announcement or to those who feel it should not have been made.

We will make every effort to be careful about our public address announcements in the future to avoid such misunderstandings.

We have a great deal of respect for the University of Minnesota and all of our opponents.

Thank you for your thoughts, and I hope this response helps alleviate some of your concerns.

Best wishes,

Dan Benson

Media Relations Director

University of North Dakota Athletics

You know the thing people don't think about sometimes is that the announcement may have actually fired up the Gophers as well....for the players that were in that game. I worry about this world and where it's heading sometimes. :ohmy:

C'mon guys- Do you really think the players even noticed the feaking announcement....? I'm sure they were more focused on the game adjustments or catching their breath than worrying about what the PA announcer was saying. Let's get some perspective. The only people "offended" were the fans which were the folks it was directed at.

As a Gopher fan, I'm over the whole HC thing.

But here's my thought.

I'm fine with your PA announcer saying it as long as those UND fans who support would be okay with comments from other PA guys. Say the Denver PA guy had said "Noticeably absent form tonights line up is Robbie Bina" last season to rev up the fans who enjoyed watching Punk-o-witch.

After all, according to you, it's not about being professional. it's about playing to eh fans without saying anything vulgar.

But here's my thought.

I'm fine with your PA announcer saying it as long as those UND fans who support would be okay with comments from other PA guys. Say the Denver PA guy had said "Noticeably absent form tonights line up is Robbie Bina" last season to rev up the fans who enjoyed watching Punk-o-witch.

After all, according to you, it's not about being professional. it's about playing to eh fans without saying anything vulgar.

WOW, that is totally different. That was almost a career ending injury there, THAT would have been unclassy. And I'll be the first to admit that I have made jokes about the whole Bina incident as well but that was after his recovery and whatnot. There is NOTHING funny about those kind of injuries.

WOW, that is totally different. That was almost a career ending injury there, THAT would have been unclassy. And I'll be the first to admit that I have made jokes about the whole Bina incident as well but that was after his recovery and whatnot. There is NOTHING funny about those kind of injuries.

pstar your an idiot! You really think there is any correlation between a score of a game and a kid breaking his neck? That is the biggest stretch I have ever seen and that is saying a lot. Thanks for making all Gopher fans look like complete idiots....moron!

Yes and no. Granted, the Bina thing was worse because it supports cheap play. But one could argue the HC thing supports poor sportsmanship between the programs. Both are lame.

And it's not like the Bina incident ended his career (could have, but didn't). He's still out their at a high level.

But all that said, I still have no problem with the HC thing. It's like UMD refferring to us as UMTC on their scoreboard. it's their little rip, and good for them.

But here's my thought.

Ahm, yeeeaaaah. That's one of the best parallels I've read in a long time. By the way, Bina was fully recovered and playing last season, so his announced absence would have been of little controversy to anyone at the game other than it would have just sounded odd.

taz

Yes and no. Granted, the Bina thing was worse because it supports cheap play. But one could argue the HC thing supports poor sportsmanship between the programs. Both are lame.

And it's not like the Bina incident ended his career (could have, but didn't). He's still out their at a high level.

But all that said, I still have no problem with the HC thing. It's like UMD refferring to us as UMTC on their scoreboard. it's their little rip, and good for them.

Like I said earlier who says the announcement didn't get the GOPHER team fired up more, I'm sure they were not paying attention to the announcement either but it could have.

You say poor sportsmanship, I say it's all part of the rivalry.

But here's my thought.

Excuse me dumbass, but you are talking about the loss of a hockey game vs. a very serious injury to an individual player(that could have resulted in that player never walking again, or worse.) They are not even close to being the same. If there are some people out there that were actually offended by that announcement, they seriously need to get a fucking life. Completely ridiculous.

Hmm let's all think about this Goon can't comprehend ---*********I DON'T THINK SO THE REAL STOREY HERE IS THAT****************************************** Dean HAS A MAN CRUSH ON Goon *****************and Goon isn't interested in Dean's Man CRUSH OFFERING! Dean What is your deal? Get a new man crush I hear that leafsguy is single! :glare:

Or, to make it a better comparison, because Bina is a bit out there. How about if our PA announcer gave countdown clock updates in the number the years, months, weeks and days untill the end of the fighting Sioux name.

Yes, but North Dakota will still have 7. That's what this is really about.

It's OK, you can cry now.

THERE IS NEVER AN EXCUSE TO MAKE FUN OF AN INJURY THAT SERIOUS!!!!!!!! REGARDLESS IF THEY ARE A PLAYER OR FAN.

You do not represent your fans well...I know first hand from talking with Mrs. Bina how many MN fans sent there condolences and what not.......Let's not forget Travis Roy (wisconsin) who wasn't as lucky as Robbie!.......take your immature, arrogant, stupidity back to GPL...they're wondering where you've gone.