SiouxSports.com Forum

PA Announcer

Displaced Nodak

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're in the press box, you're not a fan, .....

WRONG!!! The PA announcer is not 'press' or 'media'. He is the home team's arena announcer which means he is a homer! Every college and professional sporting event that I have attended has had a 'homer' announcer. They play to the home team fans in a variety of ways which are meant to get the fans into the game, revel in a win or feel hope after a loss.

Our announcer did his job and he did it well. Kudos to him!!

WRONG!!! The PA announcer is not 'press' or 'media'.

True. There are people in the press box who are there to run the video and audio systems that play the videos and music that get the Sioux fans fired up. That doesn't mean that they're not professional. It just means that they have different jobs from the people who are expected to be objective, such as the media and the stats keepers.

WRONG!!! The PA announcer is not 'press' or 'media'. He is the home team's arena announcer which means he is a homer! Every college and professional sporting event that I have attended has had a 'homer' announcer. They play to the home team fans in a variety of ways which are meant to get the fans into the game, revel in a win or feel hope after a loss.

Our announcer did his job and he did it well. Kudos to him!!

For the people that are confused this sums it up well. Looker is paid by the university of North Dakota, not the WCHA or Minnesota. Looker isn't there to be objective. Looker is there for the Sioux fans. If you were offended by the comment you have thin skin and there is nothing we can do to help you.

should we start sounding the horn when the opponent scores too?? sheesh! :ohmy:

Yeah I suppose there will be a conference call this week telling opposing teams PA announcers in the WCHA that you can't defame the mighty goofers. I suppose next there will be a 2 minute penalty if there are any further incidents.

I mean what are we going to have next? We have fans mad at Sioux fans because they complained about the refs :glare: there were people saying players were getting into it with the fans, Ala the belly bump. We have people calling UND a bunch of goons because one of their guys was checked, we could debate whether it was a charge or not till we are blue in the face. We have coaches getting into it at the hand shake. We also had coaches, getting into with the fans. We have players slashing mascots and people complaining about the the PA announcers, this season is like a soap opera.

It really seems to me like most Gopher fans had no problems with it. I thought it was pretty funny, but I enjoy good natured ribbing between fans. I was also fully expecting it when they started announcing the scores, and was kinda bummed when they didn't have an actual score to announce :ohmy:. I'm surprised no one has been complaining about showing the girl in the penalty box as sexist. :glare:

well said!

It really is unreal how people are still whining about such a nothing comment.

On a different note, because this one is sickening.......has there been anything said about Okposo giving some fans the finger? It really looked like he did as he was leaving the ice, I wanna say after the first period on saturday night but it was really quick and if he did, I'm assuming something would have been said about it.

It really is unreal how people are still whining about such a nothing comment.

On a different note, because this one is sickening.......has there been anything said about Okposo giving some fans the finger? It really looked like he did as he was leaving the ice, I wanna say after the first period on saturday night but it was really quick and if he did, I'm assuming something would have been said about it.

Yeah I caught that when re-watched the game on Saturday. I find it funny that hasn't come up yet. Hey Red Frog anyway to capture that one on YouTube? LOL...

I have always thought that the PA announcer was speaking for the entire University, and therefore should communicate on the same level the U does. So, personally I thought the Holy Cross thing was dumb. The chick in the box, was humorous.

On the other hand, in Sconny, when the opposing team scores, they do not even announce the goal, so I will go with you on the entertainment bit. Gotta play to your audience.

The Bina reference was stupid. Not related in any shape or form. I move to have it stricken from the record....

I liked when Stu Bickel flicked off Finley at the end of the second period on Saturday. Lucia immediately grabbed him and started yelling at him. :glare:

Yes, tDon left nothing to the imagination about how he felt about Bickel's actions. By the look on Bickel's, I am not sure it registered.

OK, for those who are offended by what Looker said about HC please consider this advice. Drop what you are doing and walk directly into oncoming traffic, or find the nearest bridge and jump. If you are that offended by something like that you are a complete loser and the world will not be missing anything more than a few overnight convenience store clerks.

OK, for those who are offended by what Looker said about HC please consider this advice. Drop what you are doing and walk directly into oncoming traffic, or find the nearest bridge and jump. If you are that offended by something like that you are a complete loser and the world will not be missing anything more than a few overnight convenience store clerks.

OR, you could bend over backwards, pull really, really hard and check with your brain. If you find even a snip of one, you'll figure out how assinine it is to get offended by what the HOME announcer said to the HOME crowd!

amen. Go hug a bible even! :glare:

That is funny. Hell, I have a few other suggestions they can do as well...

This is to the people that werer offended by the Holy Cross statement.

Who F'N cares. All Looker said was Holy Cross is off tonight. Big F'N deal. That's all he said, its not like said the Goofers were a bunch of golden chokers. Where do they find all of these thinned skinned people.

That announcement doesn't warrant anything other than a chuckle. For the Gopher fans that were offended by it, please don't bother coming back to the REA again we will sell your tickets to the COOL GOPHER FANS, FHG26, Slap Shot, WPOS et al, the ones that don't whine about everything. Judas Priest, where do they find these morons.

Edited by Goon

Who F'N cares. All Looker said was Holy Cross is off tonight. Big F'N deal. That's all he said, its not like said the Goofers were a bunch of golden chokers. Where do they find all of these thinned skinned people.

That announcement doesn't warrant anything other than a chuckle. For the Gopher fans that were offended by it, please don't bother coming back to the REA again we will sell your tickets to the COOL GOPHER FANS, FHG26, Slap Shot, WPOS et al, the ones that don't whine about everything. Judas Priest, where do they find these morons.

slapshot isn't cool, but I agree with the rest of this.

"Cool" and "Gopher fan" in the same sentence, that must have been hard for you to muster up writing, Goon. :lol::glare::huh:

Like I said previously, my take on it is the PA guy has to do what he can to get the crowd into the game when I can. I wish we could come up with some unique ideas like the Ralph did this past weekend.

"Cool" and "Gopher fan" in the same sentence, that must have been hard for you to muster up writing, Goon.

Like I said previously, my take on it is the PA guy has to do what he can to get the crowd into the game when I can. I wish we could come up with some unique ideas like the Ralph did this past weekend.

Were sports fans not enemies of state. :huh::lol::glare:

I liked when Stu Bickel flicked off Finley at the end of the second period on Saturday. Lucia immediately grabbed him and started yelling at him. :cool:

Just watched the replay myself. Interesting how some MN fans were lauding Bickel for wanting to go over the boards to help out in the brouhaha, but instead Lucia was actually getting on him because he was giving Finley the finger. Oooooo, that's gotta hurt big Joe.