SiouxSports.com Forum

PA Announcer

Displaced Nodak

I was under the assumtion, there are no rules, were just ribbing each other, having a little fun, it should be ok the call people names, show disrespect, use vuglarity, hell whatever floats your boat after all were in college right, that gives us a pass on class or being civil.

low class yes! low brow...?....debatable? OH I guess they beat us tonight.... :lol:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya, I'm just saying a kid can understand that a college hockey game is a special thing w/ especially ludicrous fans & ok behavior there is not ok behavior everywhere else. My parents took my to the old REA games, & it was very clear to me that college hockey games were special - & it didn't mean that we could act like crazies anywhere we wanted. kids are smart - give em some credit. I don't think exposure to swearing as a young kid made me any worse for the wear.

Though I do agree too that we need some more creativity in the REA - thats one of my main premises. Student section needs to take it upon themselves to create some new chants, or bring old ones back. Somehow, the UND chants have regressed so much that we only have a few old stand-by's, & nothing really interesting any more - have we come up with something cool even in the last decade?? I challenge someone to come up with something funny, put a beat to it, & get some people to do it with you. Or just bring a cowbell to the game & start banging rythmns on it until ya come up with something. I donno, it just makes me sad to admit that michigan hockey's atmosphere knocks the crap out of the new REA

Or maybe REA needs to outreach to students & create a joint-committee where some selected students can have input into cross-implementing chants on our fancy jumbo-tron. Resources like that should make it easy to come up with fun ways to engage the crowd in creative ways. REA could make it real easy to solicit these fans - just put an application in all the student section seats for a game & watch the interest pour in.

I would just like to see some effort to engage the crowd more & bring it into the game since all we get is a "shout, shout, let it all out..." once a game & everyone yells loud for 10 seconds & then sits down ??? Thats starting to get old after the better part a decade..

:sad:

The Ferris State comment is refering to the 2003 regional semifinal at Marriucci when the Sioux lost 5-2. As for the rest, you can have you're opinion and I'll have mine.

Yes, and my point was what would be the purpose of announcing that? If it were the Sioux's 1st trip back to that place then I would be fine with it

I was under the assumtion, there are no rules, were just ribbing each other, having a little fun, it should be ok the call people names, show disrespect, use vuglarity, hell whatever floats your boat after all were in college right, that gives us a pass on class or being civil.

I was specifically talking about the PA announcer, and I wasnt in attendance and must have missed where he called minnesota names using vulgars. Nice counter-point though. Again, if you all cannot see the difference between said comment and a political statement than I am through trying to get through.

If you people don't recognize things like "degree" and "intent" then God help us all.

In a college hockey game you disrespect your team if you don't leave with a semi-sore throat. If you don't want to swear, fine, but you better be cheering. Loud. You don't even need to swear to be an absurdly funny & creative heckler either - we all recognize this. But don't go to a game & act indignant if you hear a swear word. Ostriches people, ostriches.

I really don't understand the fascination with "class" here either - everyone throws it around like we all define it the same way but when you say someone else lacks it all you do is transpose your own subjective definition on someone else without any moral authority. Whatever.

If you want to hold on to whatever high ground you think you have claim to, then fine - don't swear, nobody is going to make you. But when you are in public forum, be prepared for public expression. Part of life is dealing with things you find offensive in mature ways - not through categorical crimination & inverted suppression.

Query: Do you degrade your being by being passionate & emotional at a hockey game? Does it make you feel like less of a good person to care about something? When someone else swears or is vulgur, does it mean your s**t smells better? Or are North Dakotans just especially squeamish about this stuff? Or are we just pretentious or hypocritical? Does being timid equate with civility? Most importantly, should standard norms & mores ought to apply to a college hockey setting - are we not capable of circumstancial distinction in social settings of any kind? What - if any - value is there in being self-righteously indignant? What about just being indignant in general? And why should we care about any of this?

No doubt there are differing view on all this but there may be at least one or two rhetorical question in there worth thinking about no matter which side of the debate you fall on...I am just saying:

If we want, we can make the REA a gutless coliseum in which to express ourselves with golf-claps and proper inarticulate yelling on cue.

But when our players on the bench are down, look up to the crowd for support, and see everyone sitting down - not cheering, not clapping, & not chanting - then don't expect them do go out on the next shift & amaze you. Because whether you realize it or not, its us - the fans - that provide that extra spark of adrenaline that can mean all the difference. It makes our players more confident knowing the fans are behind them & appreciate their play, & makes the other team grip their sticks a little tighter when the true roar of 11,500 bloodthirsty people echoes through the rink.

feh, like I said though, I am over it.

If we are going to talk classless lets talk about the two anouncers: When the gophers scored the 3rd goal (i believe) Frank goes on and says (live tv) something like "theres a highlight reel for your PHIL"

and two: Woog referred to Chay as COLBY. Now if we are talking about being professional shouldnt you at least know everyones names out there that are playing?

If you people don't recognize things like "degree" and "intent" then God help us all.

In a college hockey game you disrespect your team if you don't leave with a semi-sore throat. If you don't want to swear, fine, but you better be cheering. Loud. You don't even need to swear to be an absurdly funny & creative heckler either - we all recognize this. But don't go to a game & act indignant if you hear a swear word. Ostriches people, ostriches.

I really don't understand the fascination with "class" here either - everyone throws it around like we all define it the same way but when you say someone else lacks it all you do is transpose your own subjective definition on someone else without any moral authority. Whatever.

If you want to hold on to whatever high ground you think you have claim to, then fine - don't swear, nobody is going to make you. But when you are in public forum, be prepared for public expression. Part of life is dealing with things you find offensive in mature ways - not through categorical crimination & inverted suppression.

Query: Do you degrade your being by being passionate & emotional at a hockey game? Does it make you feel like less of a good person to care about something? When someone else swears or is vulgur, does it mean your s**t smells better? Or are North Dakotans just especially squeamish about this stuff? Or are we just pretentious or hypocritical? Does being timid equate with civility? Most importantly, should standard norms & mores ought to apply to a college hockey setting - are we not capable of circumstancial distinction in social settings of any kind? What - if any - value is there in being self-righteously indignant? What about just being indignant in general? And why should we care about any of this?

No doubt there are differing view on all this but there may be at least one or two rhetorical question in there worth thinking about no matter which side of the debate you fall on...I am just saying:

If we want, we can make the REA a gutless coliseum in which to express ourselves with golf-claps and proper inarticulate yelling on cue.

But when our players on the bench are down, look up to the crowd for support, and see everyone sitting down - not cheering, not clapping, & not chanting - then don't expect them do go out on the next shift & amaze you. Because whether you realize it or not, its us - the fans - that provide that extra spark of adrenaline that can mean all the difference. It makes our players more confident knowing the fans are behind them & appreciate their play, & makes the other team grip their sticks a little tighter when the true roar of 11,500 bloodthirsty people echoes through the rink.

feh, like I said though, I am over it.

In terms of the PA announcer, it's one thing to get the crowd fired up after a goal, announcing the starting lineup, or showing emotion after gaining full strength, that's part of the job. It's another thing to show the opponent disrespect. IN MY OPINION, the Holy Cross statement is the same thing as saying the Gopher suck over the PA, which in a profession, is a classless statement. I've had a few beers in me so hopefully I got it acrossed ok.

In terms of the PA announcer, it's one thing to get the crowd fired up after a goal, announcing the starting lineup, or showing emotion after gaining full strength, that's part of the job. It's another thing to show the opponent disrespect. IN MY OPINION, the Holy Cross statement is the same thing as saying the Gopher suck over the PA, which in a profession, is a classless statement. I've had a few beers in me so hopefully I got it acrossed ok.

even disregarding any debate over whether the PA is a "professional," should be treated as such, or what standards he should be held to..

..it is worth thinking about whether there ought to be distinctions made between "disrespect" & supporting your own team. Although that statement is not saying the same thing as "gophers suck" - credit given for cleverness, diction, etc - its true, it was disrespect to the gophers. Fine - so what then? why is that bad? Is it any secret that UND fan's enjoy it when the gophers lose, & do we bring shame upon ourselves when expressing that (especially in funny ways)? I refer to my original arguments.

In fact, Gophers could probably take it as a *sign* of respect that we make extra efforts & go out of our way to harrass them. Thats what a rivalry is all about. Their players publicly recognize that argument. Goodness knows coaches will.

consider this too: hockey is a zero-sum game. there is a winner, & a loser. when you cheer for your team to win, & when you cheer for the other team to lose, you are cheering for the same thing. so substantively, there is no difference. Now, this doesn't apply to life in general (not a zero-sum game) & you could make a process argument here against me...but just sayin.. & the process argument is just the orginal: Morals & Niceties - so if you felt you wanted to go there I refer again to the original arguments.

But if even if you insist that - no, its disrespect & that is wrong - at what point do we say "enough." I donno, but in this instance I am still saying if what happened hurt your feelings then....'ho boy... :lol:

even disregarding any debate over whether the PA is a "professional," should be treated as such, or what standards he should be held to..

..it is worth thinking about whether there ought to be distinctions made between "disrespect" & supporting your own team. Although that statement is not saying the same thing as "gophers suck" - credit given for cleverness, diction, etc - its true, it was disrespect to the gophers. Fine - so what then? why is that bad? Is it any secret that UND fan's enjoy it when the gophers lose, & do we bring shame upon ourselves when expressing that (especially in funny ways)? I refer to my original arguments.

In fact, Gophers could probably take it as a *sign* of respect that we make extra efforts & go out of our way to harrass them. Thats what a rivalry is all about. Their players publicly recognize that argument. Goodness knows coaches will.

But if even if you insist that - no, its disrespect & that is wrong - at what point do we say "enough." I donno, but in this instance I am still saying if what happened hurt your feelings then....'ho boy... :lol:

Puh-lease. . . . take it for what it is worth. A little friendly ribbing of a very worthy opponent! If you take it as something other than that, I agree with Sweeny. . . . . 'ho boy!!!! ???:sad:

If we are going to talk classless lets talk about the two anouncers: When the gophers scored the 3rd goal (i believe) Frank goes on and says (live tv) something like "theres a highlight reel for your PHIL"

and two: Woog referred to Chay as COLBY. Now if we are talking about being professional shouldnt you at least know everyones names out there that are playing?

I didn't hear the first one but the second one about calling Genoway Colby is hardly an insult or even unprofessional. Doug Woog has a history with mispronouncing names. To this day he can't say "Lundbohm" or "Rastislav" and it is somewhat endearing.

And being called your brother's name is hardly insulting to begin with. I think Woog did a pretty good job this weekend considering how he was treated while he was in the public eye.

I suppose you hate your Grandma for calling you your brothers name, too.

It happens to everybody, not just Woog. :lol:

I suppose you hate your Grandma for calling you your brothers name, too.

It happens to everybody, not just Woog. :lol:

Hell my grampa never called me the right name, I was called everything art, bud, bruce...

To this day I am not sure he knew what any our names were.

I look at it like this. The whole point of having a PA announcer is part of the entertainment of going to a hockey game. People go to the game for entertainment. The PA announcer is solely there for the people. So, if the PA guy says something about Holy Cross, it's just a clean way to entertain the fans.

Right?

I look at it like this. The whole point of having a PA announcer is part of the entertainment of going to a hockey game. People go to the game for entertainment. The PA announcer is solely there for the people. So, if the PA guy says something about Holy Cross, it's just a clean way to entertain the fans.

Right?

Right! He is not 'impartial media'.

Right?

Totally

Totally

Whoever feels like the PA announcer should be a consumate professional and not play to the home crowd is a moron! Do these people also feel that it is unprofessional that there is a disparity between the way the two starting lineups are introduced? Should we play a Gopher video too?

Goliath just hates the fact that David has the best venue (dare I say PALACE?) in all of college hockey!

Stop hating on the banners that hang from our hallowed rafters and get more of your own!

Whoever feels like the PA announcer should be a consumate professional and not play to the home crowd is a moron! Do these people also feel that it is unprofessional that there is a disparity between the way the two starting lineups are introduced? Should we play a Gopher video too?

Goliath just hates the fact that David has the best venue (dare I say PALACE?) in all of college hockey!

Stop hating on the banners that hang from our hallowed rafters and get more of your own!

I never said that there was anything wrong with pumping the fans up by disparity between the ways they announce the teams, but it's different to call a disrespectul shot out on the other team. It's no different than saying the Gophers suck over the PA.

I think basically that is what it all boils down to Is jealousy. The fact that Minnesota used to have all the advantages with their arena and their propaganda ministry and now lowly North Dakota has just the same if not more advantage when it comes to recruiting. Some in the Gopher nation are sore that the Goofs don't have that self perceived advantages anymore. I am surprised they didn't lodge a formal complaint against UND after it the REA was built (how dare they). That is why you hear all the petty B.S. about Englestad being the Nazi palace and Riegstad etc.

I never said that there was anything wrong with pumping the fans up by disparity between the ways they announce the teams, but it's different to call a disrespectul shot out on the other team. It's no different than saying the Gophers suck over the PA.

Come on, that is a stretch...

I think basically that is what it all boils down to Is jealousy. The fact that Minnesota used to have all the advantages with their arena and their propaganda ministry and now lowly North Dakota has just the same if not more advantage when it comes to recruiting. Some in the Gopher nation are sore that the Goofs don't have that self perceived advantages anymore. I am surprised they didn't lodge a formal complaint against UND after it the REA was built (how dare they). That is why you hear all the petty B.S. about Englestad being the Nazi palace and Riegstad etc.

What does this have to do with the PA annoncement? Was this thread started by a Gopher fan? You have a great arena hats off to you guys - I think it's awesome the WCHA can have teams play in such great venues.

What does this have to do with the PA annoncement? Was this thread started by a Gopher fan? You have a great arena hats off to you guys - I think it's awesome the WCHA can have teams play in such great venues.

Slap Shot:

You'll have to forgive Goon. His reading comprehension and forming a coherent thought (and grammar for that matter) aren't what they should be. :lol: