SiouxSports.com Forum

Your 2003-04 Fighting Sioux

jk

Of course it's way too early for this, but I'm tired of talking about other teams that are still playing.

By class, this is very preliminarily how it looks:

Forwards, seniors first:

R. Hale

Lundbohm

Palmiscno

Canady

Connelly

Bochenski

Massen

McMahon

Fylling

Genoway

Parise

Prpich

Murray

Stafford

Fabian

Porter

Defensemen, seniors first:

D. Hale

Schneider

Jones

Fuher

Dahlen

Greene

Marvin

Smaby

Goalies, seniors first:

Sofie

Ranfranz

Brandt

Siembida

Sedevie

Ziegelman

That's 16 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 6 goalies. Suddenly youth is no longer an issue or an excuse. This will be an experienced team that will need to get the job done.

The NCAA maximum ice hockey scholarship limit is 18 (spread over no more than 30 players). That's Section 15.5.6 in here.

You dress 20 players for a game (as stated, normally 12/6/2). You are allowed to take 22 players on the road, but again, only dress 20 for the game. See Rule 2, Section 3, "Players in Uniform," here.

Are scholorships decided on a year by year basis? I would assume the new recruits are all getting full boats. Sounds like Deano may have some personnel decisions to make next year. Also, can you yank a guys scholorship after school has started? Seems to me that you won't be able to make those decisions until after practices have begun.

Scholarships are year to year agreement (contrary to anything else you may hear). Once the scholarship is offered and accepted it can not be withdrawn.

"Full boats" or full rides are nearly unheard of in the WCHA.

More to my point, scholarships are like grades or salaries: it's poor form to be discussing them (who's getting what) publicly.

Speaking of Woog, he has got to be the worst commentator I have ever heard. I don't know if he thinks he is funny or what but most of the time he is just stupid! Tom Reid was so much better when he used to do the goofer games. He was very enjoyable to listen to. Get a clue Wooger, It's LUNDBOHM!! Man he bugs me. I saw him at Senser's for the Sun nite game vs Denver and I wanted to go tell him how dumb he sounds on air.

Speaking of Woog, he has got to be the worst commentator I have ever heard. I don't know if he thinks he is funny or what but most of the time he is just stupid! Tom Reid was so much better when he used to do the goofer games. He was very enjoyable to listen to. Get a clue Wooger, It's LUNDBOHM!! Man he bugs me. I saw him at Senser's for the Sun nite game vs Denver and I wanted to go tell him how dumb he sounds on air.

On the contrary I really like listening to Woog. I hate that he keeps mispronouncing Lundbohm, but other than that I learn more about hockey listening to him than any other color guy.

Also, Woog, though a homer, is not afraid to say the Gophers got away with a penalty, or that the other team is outplaying the gophs, or whatever.

He's not always smooth and polished, but I like his enthusiasm, story, insight, and style.

I like Woog as a commentator. He's pretty honest, although he holds back a little from criticizing Lucia's moves (anything else would just be seen as sour grapes anyway).

Before the WCHA Final Five title game, and after the national anthem,

Woog was both touching and profound "meanwhile, the big game tonight is being played outside Baghdad".

Even Frank Mazzocco had to leave a moment of silence behind that.

No no no, Woog ain't so bad.... it's Mozzocco that's awful. I absolutely can't stand that guy. Definately the worst commentator.

Where is Fabian from? Is he another Shattucks kid?

Fabian is from Roseau.

I am also concerned about team speed next year.

O well. Can't do much about it now.

Yes, we will improve, but I still think we're playing second fiddle to at least MN. And other teams like Duluth and Mankato appear to be major factors as well. And that isn't to slight anyone else who might step up like CC, Denver, etc.

It should be a very tough conference again next year. Let's hope the Sioux will have a bit more success throughout this year. They/we deserve it.

My opinion on roster size would be to lean toward having a few extra players around. Of course you have to have some guys who can accept not playing, but you really need the injury insurance.

I think the ideal roster has about 14 or 15 forwards, 8 defensemen and 3 goalies. I thought the Sioux were too thin at defense this year with only 7. Obviously trimming the number of goalies from 6 will be a necessity. At the risk of violating the Sicatoka's scholarship discussion rule, I think Brandt, Siembida and Sedevie are probably scholarship goalies, with Sofie, Ranfranz and Ziegelmann walk-on candidates. Competition should be fierce.

Forward lines for next year? I start with:

Parise, Bochenski, Murray

Lundbohm, Massen, Fylling

McMahon, Prpich, Hale

pick 'em from the rest: Palmiscno, Genoway, Connelly, Canady, Stafford, Porter, Fabian

From the top three lines, I think Fylling and Hale would have the best chance of moving down if someone shows up to camp really ready to contribute. I consider the other seven players on the top three lines to be very difficult to bump out of their spots.

If everyone returns to the defense, how about:

Hale, Schneider

Jones, Greene

Fuher, Smaby

Ouch!

I think Brandt, Siembida and Sedevie are probably scholarship goalies, with Sofie, Ranfranz and Ziegelmann walk-on candidates. Competition should be fierce.

I would guess that Siembida may be headed back to juniors for a while, and considering Ziggy turned down scholarships from the likes of CC, and Duluth, I would guess he wouldn't have too much trouble walking on here at UND.

Good to know. :huh:

I have to admit.. I kinda like Tom Sagisor from the Wisconsin games. That guy is funny as hell.

"And Brad Winchester has to go sit in the sin bin and watch his team for two minutes and feel some shame!"

It doens't get better than that.

"And Brad Winchester has to go sit in the sin bin and watch his team for two minutes and feel some shame!"

He said that an awful lot last year. Sags has got to be one the best commentators in college hockey. He's another one of these guys who can admit to his team not playing well and getting away with penalties. He is a homer, but to be fair (same thing with Woog and Mazzocco), he did play at Wisconsin.

jk, I do have to disagree with you a little on the lines, I think that Prpich will be up with Lundbohm and Fylling, and Stafford or Porter will be up on the third with Massen and Hale or McMahon, IMO. Either way I think we will have a very deep team next year. You have to like the way our team looks with Massen and Hale on third line.

TheFlop---There are 6 Lamoreaux kids. The oldest, Phillipe, is coming in 2004. He is a goalie with Lincoln. Jacque just finished 10th grade at Grand Forks Central. He is rumored to be heading to Lincoln, but his coach was not sure if that was true. PJ is a 9th grader, and was injured most of the year for GF Central. He was actually a 2nd year bantam playing high school, and will be back in High School. Mario was an 8th grader, and would have been a 2nd year bantam, but played for GF Central last year. He will also be back. There are rumors about him going to Shattuck, but his dad says they are not true. The girls are 7th graders (Monique and Jocelyn), and are also rumored to be going to Shattuck, but it is unsubstantiated.

Mario was an 8th grader, and would have been a 2nd year bantam, but played for GF Central last year.

That kid reminds me of a little version of Danny Heatly, his hair sticks out of his helment the same way, he is a better skater though. I think this youngster will probably be playing in college near you in about 4 years. I thought he played pretty well at the High school level for an 8th grader.