SiouxSports.com Forum

Board could retire name within a few weeks

star2city

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised. Given the SBoHE's recent lack of spine, I could see them getting rid of the name/logo ASAP. As well, I don't necessarily disagree with Paulsen's reasoning. Why bother "negotiating" with people who have no interest in talking to you. F**k 'em.

I'm not doubting Standing Rock's resolve against the nickname. I do not believe they will change their minds. Having said that, for the SBOHE to make this decision based on newspaper accounts, and without having a single face-to-face meeting, would prove the settlement was a sham.

The sooner we change it the sooner Standing Rock and Spirit Lake get to live in a world of their choosing.

I hope they enjoy that world.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

+ we don't have to hear about stupid people making comments that only hurt our cause to keep the Fighting Sioux Logo http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=58751

I like the North Stars. It has grown on me. Plus we could add the D to the old North Star logo... Then we would have our own ND logo thats diff. from the other ND school.

MinnesotaNorthStars1967.png

Think the board is doing this to try and scare the tribes? Maybe they are trying to hold out until we offer up (more?) money to keep the name. Maybe they'll come to terms.

Also, if we did change/drop it soon, do we still have the remainder of the three years to possibly change it back?

I like the North Stars. It has grown on me. Plus we could add the D to the old North Star logo... Then we would have our own ND logo thats diff. from the other ND school.

MinnesotaNorthStars1967.png

Seriously, how many times do I have to repeat myself? Do you see that little tiny "TM" underneath the logo? That stands for trademark. In America, that's when you register something and no one else can copy it as their own or create a "rip-off". That logo remains property of the Dallas Stars. Anytime someone buys one of those nifty North Stars retro jerseys, part of the money goes to the NHL and the Dallas Stars. You can't copy that logo any more than you can copy the Blackhawk logo without paying the owner of the trademark a hefty fee.

And, if we're going to name the team after the state motto of a next-door neighbor, could we at least be the University of North Dakota Big Sky or the University of North Dakota Rushmores? God knows I don't want some knee-jerk academia nut to suggest that we become the University of North Dakota Peace Gardeners.

And, if we're going to name the team after the state motto of a next-door neighbor, could we at least be the University of North Dakota Big Sky or the University of North Dakota Rushmores?

South Dakota used to call itself "the Sunshine State." But apparently Florida got mad and forced a change to "the Rushmore State."

We could be the University of North Dakota Sunshines and use "Walking On Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves as our fight song. :ohmy::D

South Dakota used to call itself "the Sunshine State." But apparently Florida got mad and forced a change to "the Rushmore State."

We could be the University of North Dakota Sunshines and use "Walking On Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves as our fight song. :D:D

I find the name Katrina hostile and abusive. :ohmy:

Think the board is doing this to try and scare the tribes? Maybe they are trying to hold out until we offer up (more?) money to keep the name. Maybe they'll come to terms.

Also, if we did change/drop it soon, do we still have the remainder of the three years to possibly change it back?

The name is gone, we might as well start gettting used to some new name, if it is flickertail I am giving up my season tickets. seriously folks, this is why I hated the settlement in the first place. Its failed before the ink even dried.

The sooner we change it the sooner Standing Rock and Spirit Lake get to live in a world of their choosing.

I hope they enjoy that world.

I am beginning to buy into this as well. One thing that I find curious about the past couple weeks however, is the absence of the Spirit Lake tribe in all of this. It seems as though we are only hearing from the Standing Rock Tribe...or have I missed something?

The name is gone. The settlement was a sham from the beginning. They knew they couldn't get tribal approval. Either that or they were extremely naive or just plain stupid.

I expect them to announce during the semester break that the name will be retired after this school year is up.

The blame will fall on the tribes which is not right. If we wanted to let them decide the fate of the nickname we could have done it long ago. This was completely decided by the UND administrators and the state board of education. They could have fought the battle to keep the name but elected to cave in once they got their precious apology from the NC$$ on being "hostile and abusive", which didn't even sound like much of an apology.

I am beginning to buy into this as well. One thing that I find curious about the past couple weeks however, is the absence of the Spirit Lake tribe in all of this. It seems as though we are only hearing from the Standing Rock Tribe...or have I missed something?

The Spirit Lake chairwoman has gone on record stating "we have more important things to worry about" and it looks to me like that is where she is focusing her energies. I am trying very hard to be respectful and not type what I think Ron His Horse is Thunder is doing...

Edited by siouxjoy

The Spirit Lake chairwoman has gone on record stating "we have more important things to worry about" and it looks to me like tha is where she is focusing her energies. I am trying very hard not to be respectful and not type what I think Ron His Horse is Thunder is doing...

I realize this was their stance prior to the settlement. I haven't heard her state that since the settlement. To me it seems odd that they have been so quiet in the wake of the settlement...

As long as the Standing Rock tribe refuses to grant approval to UND to use the nickname, it really doesn't matter what Spirit Lake does.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but if Spirit Lake were to support the nickname, perhaps the supposed "silent majority" of Standing Rock could/would begin to become more vocal.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but if Spirit Lake were to support the nickname, perhaps the supposed "silent majority" of Standing Rock could/would begin to become more vocal.

Myra Pearson wants the name gone as bad as Ron His Horse Is Thunder, but as long as she stays quiet, she isn't the "bad guy", just Ron is.

Myra Pearson wants the name gone as bad as Ron His Horse Is Thunder, but as long as she stays quiet, she isn't the "bad guy", just Ron is.

Pearson also cares what the rest of the tribal members think. There is a majority that support the nickname. Standing Rock is like a third world country. The people in charge could give a rip about the people they are supposed to represent. The people in charge are constantly changing and only care about being in charge for personal gain. The geniouses that decided to settle this decided to put the decision in the hands of Standing Rock. Great job - UND supporters sure got their $800,000 worth :ohmy:

Before anyone calls my comment about Standing Rock racist - I suggest you try and work with their tribal government and visit the reservation. Spirit Lake is nearly a 180 from Standing Rock - although I think there is some truth in Pearson wanting Spirit Lake out of the mess while Standing Rock is involved.

This is Ron His Horse Thunders, Little Johnny Hoff and the other pro-name change people's 15 minutes of fame.

The ball is in their court and they are going to get their wish. This is shake down as a result of political correctness.

It all boils down to the Law Suit was a sham and why did they need to spend all this money to get this result.

Honestly, If I had given money to the law suit I would be disappointed right now.

Anyone read that article in the paper last week about this guy saying that everyone who graduated from the univeristy that is native american(sioux) who have an issue with the nickname should gladly return their degree to their univeristy. I cannot remember all of it off hand but it was truely a great article. Just think if the university does change it then the college wont have to let the native americans get all of their benefits that they get at the university which will save the college many dollars. Oh the changes that must be made if the name changes. You know, its this topic alone that makes the whole situation hostile and abusive. Seriously! :ohmy: