SiouxSports.com Forum

Standing Rock/Spirit Lake

GeauxSioux

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goetz: No resolution

Aren't these two statement somewhat contradictory?

North Dakota's top higher education official Thursday described recent conversations about the future of UND's Fighting Sioux nickname with the leaders of the state's two Sioux reservations as productive....
The leaders of North Dakota's two Sioux tribes “have no desire, nor do they see any need to meet with other people in a group to discuss the nickname,” North Dakota University System Chancellor William Goetz said. “They see no value in that.”
How could the meeting have been productive if they see no value in meeting to discuss the issue? As I've said before UND has been castigated in the past for not communicating with the tribes over the logo/name issue. Now is the time or be forgotten.

What happens after three years and we don't win tribe approval ? Does it mean we just can't host NCAA payoff games and not wear our jerseys with the logo during NCAA payoffs. If thats the case keep the name and just use NORTH Dakota during the NCAA's. It's not like we have made many friends in the NCAA and they would let us host anything anyway. Instead of knucking under I say just stick it to them.

Here are the key words IMHO....

Goetz declined to describe that group's role as planning for the nickname and logo's retirement, insisting that the group's planning would be valuable regardless of the outcome.

If the current nickname and logo were to be retained, what value would be added by this group? No, this is just a way to spread the blame and try to "cushion" the blow.

...We have to be able to respond to the public. We're beginning that process now.

What happens after three years and we don't win tribe approval ? Does it mean we just can't host NCAA payoff games and not wear our jerseys with the logo during NCAA payoffs. If thats the case keep the name and just use NORTH Dakota during the NCAA's. It's not like we have made many friends in the NCAA and they would let us host anything anyway. Instead of knucking under I say just stick it to them.

If you think about it then UND has about 8 years before they would have to lose the name.

A lot could happen between now and then. First thing the state of ND needs to do is regin this guy Goetz in.

• 1 month later...

The "Fighting Sioux" make it to the Frozen Four four straight years. The Sioux name will be plastered across the country on television next weekend. Do the members of the tribes of Spirit Lake and Standing Rock like this or would they rather not have the "Sioux" name all across the nation and be forgotten?

The "Fighting Sioux" make it to the Frozen Four four straight years. The Sioux name will be plastered across the country on television next weekend. Do the members of the tribes of Spirit Lake and Standing Rock like this or would they rather not have the "Sioux" name all across the nation and be forgotten?

Along with the "Fighting Irish", but that's probably a conversation Herr Brand would rather not have. :lol:

Actually, I very much doubt we'll be seeing any "Fighting Sioux" references. All of it will be "UND," "University of North Dakota," or "North Dakota."

The NCAA is in charge remember, so Brand's agenda is in full swing.

Actually, I very much doubt we'll be seeing any "Fighting Sioux" references. All of it will be "UND," "University of North Dakota," or "North Dakota."

The NCAA is in charge remember, so Brand's agenda is in full swing.

I was wondering , since the NCAA is in charge of making the t shirts etc. that they have for sale at the regionals and the Frozen 4, what made them decide to use our Inidan head logo, rather that just the interlocking ND.

I understand your point... but I hardly think UND's use of the nickname and logo has any bearing on the legacy of the Sioux people and whether they're remembered or not. We fans may try to inflate it to that level, but let's be realistic.

Go Sioux, Beat BC!

You're right. Whether UND does or does not use the name doesn't really impact their legacy in the long run, realistically. I'm glad my point still got through. :lol:

BTW, Teeder is an interesting name. Are you named after Teeder Kennedy from the Leafs?

You're right. Whether UND does or does not use the name doesn't really impact their legacy in the long run, realistically. I'm glad my point still got through. :lol:

BTW, Teeder is an interesting name. Are you named after Teeder Kennedy from the Leafs?

GeauxSioux, I'm guessing Teeder is a reference to former Fighting Sioux player Teeder Wynne.

Teeder's Bio on HockeyDB.com

I was wondering , since the NCAA is in charge of making the t shirts etc. that they have for sale at the regionals and the Frozen 4, what made them decide to use our Inidan head logo, rather that just the interlocking ND.

I think the logo will be on merchandise. if it is not could it not be said that they did not hold up their end of the settlement. If I understood it coorectly, I thought they could not do anything that would be determental to UND. they get a cut of merchandise. I know some people that will not buy t-shirts, ect without the indian logo on it. I just think after the settlement, the NCAA will not mess with it. I may be way to optimistic.

I think the logo will be on merchandise. if it is not could it not be said that they did not hold up their end of the settlement. If I understood it coorectly, I thought they could not do anything that would be determental to UND. they get a cut of merchandise. I know some people that will not buy t-shirts, ect without the indian logo on it. I just think after the settlement, the NCAA will not mess with it. I may be way to optimistic.

You're not way too optimistic...have you checked out th uscho.com Frozen Four shop yet? The items for sale there have the Sioux logo on them, not the ND. They also have the drunken Fighting Irishman logo too.

Frozen Four T-Shirts!

Frozen Four Hood Sweatshirt

If I were cynical about this, I would point out that by putting on an upopular logo the only thing the NCAA would accomplish would be cutting their own Final Four-on site sales by about a quarter.
:lol:

This is probably a more accurate answer-the NCAA feels they've won the war and they don't need to restart any publicity which may expose their hypocrisy.

You're not way too optimistic...have you checked out th uscho.com Frozen Four shop yet? The items for sale there have the Sioux logo on them, not the ND. They also have the drunken Fighting Irishman logo too.

Nothing promoting or denigrating a particular website, but I would be extremely careful about online sales. I've heard way too many horror stories about people visiting sites and buying the shirt, etc. with our popular Chief logo and actually recieving something with the orange "I" logo instead.

From the newspaper...

And while I don't know what his position is within your University, I cannot help but be reminded of "Chainsaw Al" of the corporate world. Someone who comes in, takes a big paycheck for chopping headcount (and taking the heat for it) and then moves on, leaving others to clean up and start over (if possible).

Goetz is the chancellor of the North Dakota University System. In other words, he is in charge of all of the public colleges and universities in the state of North Dakota. He reports to the State Board of Higher Education.

Read the comment by A Standing Rock Voiceposted 4/03/08 @ 11:05 AM CST it gives a very interesting perspective. Seems as if there are some people upset with RHT...

Controversy surrounds November sorority party

We gave the name to UND; we have no right to take it back. A vote is coming from Standing Rock, Cannonball district voted 40 to 0 to have a referendum vote, the minutes are on the way to tribal council, Porcupine district sent up a similar vote last month, and overwhelming majority voted in support of your Institution, the chairman wouldn't hear the vote on the floor last month, but will have no choice this time. He doesn't not realize he is digging his own grave in this issue, and if he does, he just doesn't care, UND has a lot of supporters from Standing Rock, not because we sold out, or because we fear chastisement, or because we've been assimilated, it's because we see the double standards, and the dishonor by removing the name.