SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see. Last year NDSU didn't recruit Solum for runningback and this year they recruited Horner for runningback. Since Horner couldn't beat out Solum for runningback at Fargo South a year ago and the fact that they now need Horner for runningback at NDSU probably says more about the depth or quality of NDSU at that position now. He would have a lot better chance at making the field at NDSU then he would have had at UND with our runningback situation the way it is. It was a real long shot even if we had offered Horner that he would of come here anyway. Getting a kid from a Fargo South team coached by Feeney is slim.

I would take Josh Murray over any of those names.

Obviously that's because you don't know anything about "those" names, so you saying you would take Murray doesn't exactly hold a lot of merit. While Murray is a good solid player, McNorton is about as big of an FCS recruit as your going to get. Horner has his work cut out for him if he thinks he's going to get any huge PT at RB the next 3 years.

Let's see. Last year NDSU didn't recruit Solum for runningback and this year they recruited Horner for runningback. Since Horner couldn't beat out Solum for runningback at Fargo South a year ago and the fact that they now need Horner for runningback at NDSU probably says more about the depth or quality of NDSU at that position now. He would have a lot better chance at making the field at NDSU then he would have had at UND with our runningback situation the way it is. It was a real long shot even if we had offered Horner that he would of come here anyway. Getting a kid from a Fargo South team coached by Feeney is slim.

You apparently didn't watch us play MN this year. We also have a red shirt freshman from Texas that will play next year. We don't need any runningbacks, but usually pick up one or two a recruiting class.

Obviously that's because you don't know anything about "those" names, so you saying you would take Murray doesn't exactly hold a lot of merit. While Murray is a good solid player, McNorton is about as big of an FCS recruit as your going to get. Horner has his work cut out for him if he thinks he's going to get any huge PT at RB the next 3 years.

McNorton does have very good credentials. However, it seems as though NDSU has recruited a number of Texans the past few years, but most haven't seemed to pan out for whatever reason. It would seem that the odds of actually retaining a kid from Texas or Florida or California or wherever, with no previous connection to North Dakota and our climate, probably isn't the best.

You apparently didn't watch us play MN this year. We also have a red shirt freshman from Texas that will play next year. We don't need any runningbacks, but usually pick up one or two a recruiting class.

And he was so good he came to North Dakota State from Texas. Its the age old question...

McNorton does have very good credentials. However, it seems as though NDSU has recruited a number of Texans the past few years, but most haven't seemed to pan out for whatever reason. It would seem that the odds of actually retaining a kid from Texas or Florida or California or wherever, with no previous connection to North Dakota and our climate, probably isn't the best.

As a scout player this year he looked very good. I guess we'll have to wait until next year. Comparing credentials from a player in Texas on a bad HS team to someone in another state is apples and oranges.

I don't think attrition from the state of Texas has been any more pronounced than from any other state. The only one I can think of is Champ.

Without knowing the details of the rb situation at UND, I would have to say he would have a much better chance at seeing the field earlier there than at NDSU. Horner will more than likely be 5th on the depth chart coming out of his redshirt freshman year, behind Paschall, Blincoe, McNorton, and Voigtlander.

As a scout player this year he looked very good. I guess we'll have to wait until next year.

Ya'know, that's the most rational thing I've ever seen you post. I'm impressed.

Back to this thread:

I'll take Ryan C, Josh M, or even Tyler R, over any of these names. Why? They've proven they can do it for real. Beyond that it's a crapshoot. We've all seen "can't miss" end up as busts; we've all seen walk-ons become legendary.

I don't think attrition from the state of Texas has been any more pronounced than from any other state. The only one I can think of is Champ.

I will be the first to admit that I'm not a great NDSU football mind. I was simply judging by the 2-deep depth chart for the SDSU game, as there were just two Texans on it, and both were backups. Maybe some of the other Texas kids were injured. In any event, they don't seem to be making a huge impact for whatever reason. When recruiting that far away, typically you would kind of think players would be expected to contribute pretty early.

2005 was the first year that NDSU signed kids from Texas under Bohl.

2005:

Agbetola

Bowman

Cash

Champ

Mitchell

- only Bowman and Agbetola were on the 2007 roster, Bowman as a starting CB, but he suffered a season ending neck injury the first game and Agbetola as a backup CB.

2006:

Weeden

Wlliams

- Williams was on the 07 roster as a backup WR

2007:

Hazley-Freeman

Holloway

McNorton

Thomas III

- all except Thomas III were on the 07 roster as redshirts

So no doubt we've not retained all the players that were signed. But the ones who have stayed have been contributing.

I will be the first to admit that I'm not a great NDSU football mind.

Judging by MplsBison's list, apparently I'm not either. :cool:

What may be most interesting about this thread is the way the two staffs grade rb's. Chappell (sp.) was not offerred by SU and has turned out great for you guys; Solum was not offerred by us but looks to a good player for you as well. Now Horner was apparently not offered by UND, but was high on NDSU's list. I guess you just have to recruit who you think best fits your system.

Judging by MplsBison's list, apparently I'm not either. :cool:

What may be most interesting about this thread is the way the two staffs grade rb's. Chappell (sp.) was not offerred by SU and has turned out great for you guys; Solum was not offerred by us but looks to a good player for you as well. Now Horner was apparently not offered by UND, but was high on NDSU's list. I guess you just have to recruit who you think best fits your system.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Ok, you and ndsubison1 are correct. Dale Lennon and his staff have absolutely no idea what they are doing and are completely missing the boat by even thinking about recruiting Montana. Their overall philosophies in regards to recruiting are completely killing them right now. :cool:

Now can the both of you please stop arguing this point? It is absolutely painful to read.

You guys obviously dont get it. Teams dont do this for every recruit, but common football knowledge and logic would tell you that. Yes, I am sure NDSU and even UND for that matter would go out of their way to steal a recruit from some rival or someone, even if the recruit isn't part of their top priorities. NDSU recruits some ND ppl, so UND and SDSU dont get them. MSU and Montana recruit Montana kids so the other doesnt get them. I am sure the Montana schools go into Idaho just so they dont get a certain player. This is called recruiting...

Horner couldn't beat out Solum in high school. Apparently he didn't think there was any point potentially subjecting himself to the same thing in college. :cool: In all seriousness, I would have liked to have gotten him, but really never expected to.

Horner has to compete with Pat Paschall, Pete Blincoe, DJ McNorton, and Matt Voigtlander so i just refuted your argument

Solum played over Horner for the simple fact that he is older

UND and USD have reportedly offered full scholarships to Stevens Point (WI) running back Mitch Sutton. link

I believe Sutton visited UND this past weekend. Since UND didn't get the ND Gatorade player of the year (Horner), it would be a nice "consolation" to get the Wisconsin Gatorade player of the year. :cool:

You guys obviously dont get it. Teams dont do this for every recruit, but common football knowledge and logic would tell you that. Yes, I am sure NDSU and even UND for that matter would go out of their way to steal a recruit from some rival or someone, even if the recruit isn't part of their top priorities. NDSU recruits some ND ppl, so UND and SDSU dont get them. MSU and Montana recruit Montana kids so the other doesnt get them. I am sure the Montana schools go into Idaho just so they dont get a certain player. This is called recruiting...

And I don't think Montana or MSU have ever recruited a ND kid for football.