SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

I'm still baffled why UND is going after kids from Montana.

That would only make sense if you were in the Big Sky conference, which you're not and not going to be.

It probably makes more sense for UND to recruit Montana than it does to recruit South Dakota (which has apparently been all-but-abandoned). South Dakota is recruited hard by three FCS schools (SDSU, NDSU and USD), plus a few dII's. Montana, with roughly 150,000 more population, obviously has two FCS schools but no dII's seriously recruiting there to the best of my knowledge. If a kid is interested in going to school out of state, UND may be a good option. Plus, UND actually did sign two pretty good ones from Montana last year, so there's no reason to think that can't continue.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably makes more sense for UND to recruit Montana than it does to recruit South Dakota (which has apparently been all-but-abandoned). South Dakota is recruited hard by three FCS schools (SDSU, NDSU and USD), plus a few dII's. Montana, with roughly 150,000 more population, obviously has two FCS schools but no dII's seriously recruiting there to the best of my knowledge. If a kid is interested in going to school out of state, UND may be a good option. Plus, UND actually did sign two pretty good ones from Montana last year, so there's no reason to think that can't continue.

The only reason UND got those players is both Montana schools had a low # of scholarships last year. I'd be willing to bet that the Montana schools will get over 90% of the kids they want in Montana. But hell UND must see something they like in that state.

The only reason UND got those players is both Montana schools had a low # of scholarships last year. I'd be willing to bet that the Montana schools will get over 90% of the kids they want in Montana. But hell UND must see something they like in that state.

Who knows, maybe the fact that both schools' football programs have had their image tarnished in the past year by scandals may also be a reason why a few kids may want to look elsewhere. I don't think anybody is under the misapprehension that UND is going to waltz into Montana and start stealing kids left and right from Montana and Montana State. But there's no harm in targeting a few every year and letting the chips fall where they may. Not everybody wants to attend school close to home.

What I'm trying to say is that if you were trying to steal recruits away from a rival conference school, that would be one thing.

NDSU recruits South Dakota and Nebraska so that SDSU doesn't get those kids.

SDSU started recruiting Wisconsin so that they could try to steal a couple from our breadbasket.

I expect us to start going into Iowa here soon.

But there's no point in going out of your way to recruit a small state where you might get 1 or 2 recruits if you're not playing Montana or Montana State every year in conference.

It's as equally pointless as trying to recruit Arkansas to take recruits away from Central Arkansas.

What I'm trying to say is that if you were trying to steal recruits away from a rival conference school, that would be one thing.

SDSU started recruiting Wisconsin so that they could try to steal a couple from our breadbasket.

But there's no point in going out of your way to recruit a small state where you might get 1 or 2 recruits if you're not playing Montana or Montana State every year in conference.

It's as equally pointless as trying to recruit Arkansas to take recruits away from Central Arkansas.

Mplsbison,

By far, the dumbest post I have seen from you. You are better than this logic you just tried using.

Maybe I have this all bass ackwards...but I see Coach Lennon recruiting the best athletes he can for UND rather than recruiting to hinder the competition.

Are you telling me that NDSU recruits from South Dakota purely to prevent them from becoming Jackrabbits? Let's say that NDSU has 4 stellar punters on the roster ranging from redshirt freshman to junior. Would they recruit another punter from South Dakota just so the Jackrabbits couldn't recruit him?

:lol:

Maybe I have this all bass ackwards...but I see Coach Lennon recruiting the best athletes he can for UND rather than recruiting to hinder the competition.

If that were true he'd be flying out to California, Texas, and Florida every year.

Come on now.

Would they recruit another punter from South Dakota just so the Jackrabbits couldn't recruit him?

If he were good enough, damn right we would.

Coach Lennon starts in his back yard and works out. He wants guys with skill and integrity. Starting in his back yard (North Dakota) he'll work out from there. If he finds them in Wisconsin, great. In Minnesota, great. In Canada, great. In South Dakota, great. In Montana, great. Further out, great.

He's going to find the skill and integrity guys that fit his program.

I said this about Sioux Hockey, I guess I have to move this to Sioux Football now too:

A team is not about where you all are from;

A team is about where you all are, and where you all are going, together.

I'm not trying to prove that UND recruiting Montana is morally unjustified.

Simply, you can use recruiting as a double edged sword.

If you take bread from your opponents breadbasket, you're filling your own basket while simultaneously taking bread away from theirs.

If I were UND, I would obviously look to ND, MN, and WI for the bulk, as in the past, but now start pulling from SD and Neb as well as taking a look at Iowa and IL.

Sorry to interrupt this perfectly good argument with some recruiting news, but...per a post on www.northdakotapreps.com, 6'5", 260 pound OL Ian McGurran from Fargo North has verbally committed to UND. He's definitely one of the top couple linemen in the state this year, and possibly the best. Kolpack had a blog entry about him this past summer.

It apparently was a rather good first weekend of visits. :lol:

EDIT: Sweeney just confirmed on the 6:00 WDAZ sports.

Sorry to interrupt this perfectly good argument with some recruiting news, but...per a post on www.northdakotapreps.com, 6'5", 260 pound OL Ian McGurran from Fargo North has verbally committed to UND. He's definitely one of the top couple linemen in the state this year, and possibly the best.

No need to apologize. Thanks for the update and more importantly the redirect.

Sorry to interrupt this perfectly good argument with some recruiting news, but...per a post on www.northdakotapreps.com, 6'5", 260 pound OL Ian McGurran from Fargo North has verbally committed to UND. He's definitely one of the top couple linemen in the state this year, and possibly the best. Kolpack had a blog entry about him this past summer.

It apparently was a rather good first weekend of visits. :lol:

EDIT: Sweeney just confirmed on the 6:00 WDAZ sports.

While he is probably considered a project, like most all lineman at this level, McGurran has a TON of potential and upside. I think this is a great find for UND and I believe he will have a big impact on the o-line in the future. Some people are going to say that this was a "PR" recruit because of his dad being a former player and alum, but he is much more than that. Great start so far with the commitments. Taking care of our back yard first.

Does NDSU recruit in Texas because they are looking at moving into the Big 12?

Or Illinois because they are looking at joining the Big 10?

:lol:

Why do you care?

Those are only two good points choyt3. There are so many holes in that flawed argument that I found it silly to reply with a list. Hence, my comments earlier. You just stated two of my original thoughts. I don't think much more needs to be said. I'm back on topic. :huh:

While he is probably considered a project, like most all lineman at this level, McGurran has a TON of potential and upside. I think this is a great find for UND and I believe he will have a big impact on the o-line in the future. Some people are going to say that this was a "PR" recruit because of his dad being a former player and alum, but he is much more than that. Great start so far with the commitments. Taking care of our back yard first.

He's a good player. His dad was a UND guy so it's tough to compete with that. Good signing.

According to a post on the north dakota preps board, in addition to Wisthoff, Seth Nichols (Dakota Prairie QB), Ian McGurran (Fargo North OL) and Brian Sorensen (Hazen RB/LB) were North Dakotans who visited UND this past weekend.

Four North Dakota kids visit; four North Dakota kids commit. Not bad. :cool: