SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

I came across this article in the Wisconsin State Journal about another Wisconsin recruit. Sounds like there are a lot of quality schools after him. It will be interesting to see who wins this battle for the Wisconsin POY.

For football, Ewing is drawing interest from UW, Purdue, Iowa, Northwestern, UNLV, North Dakota, North Dakota State and South Dakota State. No one has offered him a scholarship yet.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I have this all bass ackwards...but I see Coach Lennon recruiting the best athletes he can for UND rather than recruiting to hinder the competition.

Are you telling me that NDSU recruits from South Dakota purely to prevent them from becoming Jackrabbits? Let's say that NDSU has 4 stellar punters on the roster ranging from redshirt freshman to junior. Would they recruit another punter from South Dakota just so the Jackrabbits couldn't recruit him?

:cool:

No one would have 4 punters on their roster anyways...

If your recruiting is based on getting the other guy's wish list, how in the world do you keep any balance on your own roster? Your needs can't always match the other guy's needs. Sure you'll go head-to-head at times as common needs align, but not all of the time.

As far as recruiting Montana, given the turmoil in Missoula and Bozeman right now finding a couple kids who want a stable program with no dark clouds hanging over it probably isn't too hard. And Lennon got some very positive press out there when he was a finalist for the MSU-Boseman job. Montana probably isn't a primary area, but if you can go in and cherry-pick while Montana and Montana State work through their legal and administrative issues, why not?

No one would have 4 punters on their roster anyways...

Gee...thanks for pointing out the obvious. I used this scenario for just that reason. NDSU does not need four punters but would apparently have five if it somehow slighted the Jacks.

Thanks for validating MplsBison and the recruiting practices of the Thundering Herd.

Have a Merry Christmas!

:lol:

Montana probably isn't a primary area, but if you can go in and cherry-pick while Montana and Montana State work through their legal and administrative issues, why not?

See! I told you!

But my question remains: if you aren't going to be competing with Montana and Montana State, and you're not, why take the time and effort to cherry pick?

Why not also cherry pick in Oregon, West Virginia and Maine while you're at it?

See! I told you!

But my question remains: if you aren't going to be competing with Montana and Montana State, and you're not, why take the time and effort to cherry pick?

Ok, you and ndsubison1 are correct. Dale Lennon and his staff have absolutely no idea what they are doing and are completely missing the boat by even thinking about recruiting Montana. Their overall philosophies in regards to recruiting are completely killing them right now. :cool:

Now can the both of you please stop arguing this point? It is absolutely painful to read.

See! I told you!

Would it not be smart to have inroads to as many places as possible? I remember Lennon talking about having some contacts now in Arizona because of a recruit they got from there. When pickin's are slim in your traditional areas, it isn't necessarily bad to have a backup. Ideally you would like to take recruits away from your competition, but I think Lennon will take the players he feels fits into their system and philosophy, along with taking into consideration the character issue. Why cherry pick? Chris Kuper of the Denver Broncos is why!

Of the players on the current roster, how many become Full-Rides? Is it safe to assume that all of this year's recruits are full rides? If they have 63 scholarships, and they use 20 on this year's class, how are the other 43 divided up?

I don't believe all of this year's recruits will be getting full scholarships, although presumably some will. You can have a maximum of 85 players getting some sort of scholarship money, so you could have, for example, 40 fulls and roughly 45 halves. I would assume most starters next year will have fulls.

From listening to Lennon on the radio a few times, I believe that most of the players on the squad the past couple of years have gotten some scholarship money. The difference moving up will be that they are spreading 63 scholarships instead of 36. So UND 92, 96 is probably close. About 40 players will get full rides and the rest will be less. The exact numbers will probably vary from year to year. The difference for Lennon and the other coaches is that when they really want someone they can go in and offer full rides instead of having to limit them to partials. Then the decision comes down to the schools and the staff instead of who is offering the most money. UND will win a lot of those recruiting battles.

He'd be competing with Josh Murray and Catlin Solum for time. I'm not too surprised either.

Horner couldn't beat out Solum in high school. Apparently he didn't think there was any point potentially subjecting himself to the same thing in college. :cool: In all seriousness, I would have liked to have gotten him, but really never expected to.

Horner couldn't beat out Solum in high school. Apparently he didn't think there was any point potentially subjecting himself to the same thing in college. :cool: In all seriousness, I would have liked to have gotten him, but really never expected to.

Not trying to create some smack but NDSU offered Solum a scholorship but only as a defensive back ....not a running back. NDSU felt he wasn't a D1 starter at running back. They feel Horner is. Of course Horner didn't have quite the O-line either but still managed 12 yards per carry. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sectio...&id=2717948 So Solum isn't good enough to be backup at NDSU but he's good enough to be a starter at UND. I'M KIDDING!