SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

Well I'm very happy with the class! For a first year of D1 recruiting class I'd say it's surpassed my expectations!

I'm especially pleased in how we beefed up our OL, DL, and LBs.

Of the group do you think there will be anyone who doesn't redshirt? Maybe rosario will follow in kuper's footsteps?

I love this class and I would love to see how it stacks up to NDSU's 1st year of D1 recruiting class. Anyone know how to get ahold of that list?

I think we will be able to run the ball proficiently next year and make a run at a GWFC championship!

Only bringing it up because McFeeley did all the work about a week ago.

Grading Bohl's recruiting classes

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who might be interested, coach Mussman is scheduled to be on the Dan Hammer Show, 740 AM on your radio dial, at 1 p.m. CST today to discuss this year's recruiting class. Streaming audio feed is available via their website, 740thefan.com.

Sounds like there should be some new names to kick around, given the GF Herald report today of an expected signing class of 16-20 players. I noticed Mussman said they "learned a few lessons" on the recruting trail this year. That might be interesting, too.

If anyone had a chance to listen to this, would they give us a run-down of what Mussman said? (at least what was said beyond the usual signing day coach-speak :lol: ).

If anyone had a chance to listen to this, would they give us a run-down of what Mussman said? (at least what was said beyond the usual signing day coach-speak :D ).

He said that "every player they had highly ranked they got, and........just kidding. :lol:

The parts I remember are:

1. Told of how there was some bad-mouthing of UND on the recruiting trail cause of the situation they are now in.

2. THey would have like to get some of the kids they offered, etc. and would have like to keep the ones that decomitted and individually

name the schools those kids went to.

There was alot of coach speak in there also. He didn't brag or say it was the best they have ever had but was happy with it and is expecting to sign a couple more coming up shortly.

He started out with a lot of ums and uhs, which made you think he wasn't pleased with the class, but then he started talking about the young men that UND signed and he sounded pleased. He felt like the players would be good kids both on and off the field. He talked about a few of them individually, starting out with Ian Rosario.

He also talked about lessons learned. One of which is to not stop recruiting. Even though you already have a verbal from a kid for a certain position, keep recruiting that position, because that recruit may back out. He also hit on the fact that some of the other schools mentioned "uncertainties" at UND with a coaching change, new AD and new president coming in, which led to some of the "decomits".

He said that he still have 3 invitations out there. Overall I think Mussman was pleased with the class.

If anyone had a chance to listen to this, would they give us a run-down of what Mussman said? (at least what was said beyond the usual signing day coach-speak :lol: ).

Mussman said he is willing to take the redshirt off of anyone who can contribute.

He was asked about losing a few recruits and said that was just a part of the uncertainty of a coaching change. He specifically mentioned that "Southern Illinois came up and recruited one of our guys after he already committed". He said although that is not "illegal", he certainly thinks it is "unethical".

He specifically mentioned Kenny Watkins and Ian Rosario as the stand-out guys of the class. He compared Mitch Sutton's running style to Chappel's.

Mussman said he is willing to take the redshirt off of anyone who can contribute.

He was asked about losing a few recruits and said that was just a part of the uncertainty of a coaching change. He specifically mentioned that "Southern Illinois came up and recruited one of our guys after he already committed". He said although that is not "illegal", he certainly thinks it is "unethical".

He specifically mentioned Kenny Watkins and Ian Rosario as the stand-out guys of the class. He compared Mitch Sutton's running style to Chappel's.

:lol:

It was telling that Mussman started his remarks with unsolicited comments regarding the recruits that backed out. Clearly, I think they were blind-sided by this, and it sounds like recruiting suffered a bit because they weren't prepared with back-up plans. Doubt that will happen again.

I agree with GeauxSioux that coach is not the most polished orator out there -- lots of stuttering and stammering, but the passion seems to be there. He may want to contact the regional master of coach-speak, Mr. Clean from down south, for some pointers. I'd pass on the plastic smile, though. :lol:

He started out with a lot of ums and uhs, which made you think he wasn't pleased with the class, but then he started talking about the young men that UND signed and he sounded pleased. He felt like the players would be good kids both on and off the field. He talked about a few of them individually, starting out with Ian Rosario.

He also talked about lessons learned. One of which is to not stop recruiting. Even though you already have a verbal from a kid for a certain position, keep recruiting that position, because that recruit may back out. He also hit on the fact that some of the other schools mentioned "uncertainties" at UND with a coaching change, new AD and new president coming in, which led to some of the "decomits".

He said that he still have 3 invitations out there. Overall I think Mussman was pleased with the class.

Thanks to those of you who provided insight into Mussman's comments, etc. Does anyone know which three players have yet to make their decisions?

Mussman also mentioned that his philosophy is to recruit players that are the right "fit" for what type of football team they want to be. He said that he didn't recruit based on who "other teams are recruiting", though he did seem encouraged that losing a verbal commit to Northern Illinois gave validity to the fact that he and his staff were recruiting the right kinds of players.

Rumor is Campbell is headed for Minnesota State-Mankato, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

Rosemeyer's final 5 are Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, Winona State and UW-La Crosse.

Lyght had an official visit to Minnesota State-Mankato this past weekend and said he is likely going to end up there.

Heard Lloyd may have committed to Wayne State, but haven't been able to confirm that either.

Campbell did sign with Mankato. It really makes a person wonder who else offered him? :lol:

Anyone know anymore information on this Gillson kid?

I just watched Mussman on the WDAZ sports, and he described Gillson as a "big, athletic kid who can run."

He also mentioned that Watkins was a "supreme athlete" who could contribute next year. Also, Hendrickson will start off as a quarterback, and reminds him of Reed Manke. :lol:

For anyone who might be interested, coach Mussman is scheduled to be on the Dan Hammer Show, 740 AM on your radio dial, at 1 p.m. CST today to discuss this year's recruiting class. Streaming audio feed is available via their website, 740thefan.com.

Sounds like there should be some new names to kick around, given the GF Herald report today of an expected signing class of 16-20 players. I noticed Mussman said they "learned a few lessons" on the recruting trail this year. That might be interesting, too.

Finally, I see the Star-Trib article referenced by '92, '96 fails to list several NDSU verbals. Probably an oversight. Sure hope they haven't suffered some "decommits," too. :lol:

NDSU had at least one decommit. Brian Lawson, a DL from Chicago signed with Northern Illinois. Also, Xerxes Griffan A JUCO from California apparently had a change of heart.

Also, Bohl said he didn't get everyone they wanted. He said if you do, you're not recruiting the right type of kids.

Well I'm very happy with the class! For a first year of D1 recruiting class I'd say it's surpassed my expectations!

I'm especially pleased in how we beefed up our OL, DL, and LBs.

Of the group do you think there will be anyone who doesn't redshirt? Maybe rosario will follow in kuper's footsteps?

I love this class and I would love to see how it stacks up to NDSU's 1st year of D1 recruiting class. Anyone know how to get ahold of that list?

I think we will be able to run the ball proficiently next year and make a run at a GWFC championship!

Pretty good. It produced our best passing QB in NDSU history, a current member of the New York GIants, 3 NFL hopefuls, 3 starting offensive lineman, and a starting cornerback.

Craig Dahl, S, 6-3, 206, Mankato East (NEW YORK GIANTS)

Mike Dragosavich, WR, 6-6, 200, Oak Lawn (JUST PLAYED IN THE SENIOR BOWL. NFL LOCK)

Joe Mays, LB, 6-0, 230, Chicago (NFL FREE AGENT HOPEFUL)

Steve Walker, QB, 6-1, 195, Lockport (HE'S OK)

Justin Frick, DE, 6-4, 255, Yankton (SIGNED NFL CONTRACT WITH TAMPA BAY BUCS)

Tyler Lekang, OL, 6-3, 270, New Brighton (STARTING LG)

Nate Safe, OL, 6-4, 280, Cannon Falls (STARTING LT)

David Earl, QB/DB, 6-0, 180, Milwaukee (STARTING CB)

Jerrod Wagner, OL, 6-5, 290, Waukesha (PART TIME STARTER)

John Majeski, S, 6-0, 180, Hastings (BIG PLAY RECEIVER AND KICKOFF RETURNER)

Sorry gabe, you're a year off. The players you listed were part of NDSU's 2003 recruiting class, which would correspond to UND's 2007 class(last year's). The corresponding class to this year's UND class of 2008 would be NDSU's class of 2004(Bohl's first class). That class included Jangula, Belquist, Wurzbacherh, Maresh, Schommer, Lardinois, Heckendorf, and a little guy named Tyler Roehl.

2003 did rock for us, didn't it though?

Some news on Tyrell Rosemeyer.

Several additional players are expected to choose Wisconsin this afternoon. One exceptional lineman from Minnesota is expected to be among that group. Running back Tyrell Rosemeyer, from Fennimore is mulling over his decision and may also choose the Badgers before the day is over.

Not sure how accurate this is, but this was on www.allcanadagridiron.com today:

Numerous players who visited North Dakota this past weekend, tell us that Vanier WR Duraney White has also committed to North Dakota who are moving up to 1AA next fall.

I saw him at the UND basketball games last weekend, and he's very tall--about 6'5".