SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to a post by what I consider a very credible poster on the wisconsin sports network board, WR Jon Heimler (6-3, 189) from Menomonie is still deciding between UND and a preferred walk-on invite from Wisconsin.

Can you explain to me what a "preferred walk-on" is? How does it differ from a "walk-on"? I heard it for the first time a year ago.

Can you explain to me what a "preferred walk-on" is? How does it differ from a "walk-on"? I heard it for the first time a year ago.

I believe it's more or less simply a kid who is invited to walk-on (as opposed to the player contacting the coach and asking to walk-on). There may be a bit more to it than that, but I believe that's the gist of it, anyway.

EDIT: This is from Wikipedia:

In some instances, a college coach/recruiter may designate an athlete as a "preferred walk-on" during the scouting process. In this situation, the athlete is assured a spot on the team, however the coach is unable or unwilling to offer a scholarship.

That makes sense. Some guys just show up for the first day of practice, like Rudy. Rudy wasn't a preferred walk-on.

I think there is often an implied "promise" that, if the walk-on performs well, there will be scholarship $ offered to him in future years.

Shawn-O, haven't you learned by now? If there is a chance that UND and NDSU are going after the same kid, as was the case with Cavil, and he picks UND, the bison playbook calls for their fans to whine with any of the following:

1. We didn't actually offer him a scholarship.

Of course, NDSU didn't offer him a scholarship, but don't let facts get in the way of a good smackfest.

It always seems that whenever UND goes for the same recruit against NDSU and UND lands the recruit, the NDSU people seem to say that they didn't offer the kid. It would seem to me that the way UND dominated the Bison the last ten years we played them that just maybe they should be offering these kids too. Unless of course there is the chance that maybe NDSU really did want some of these recruits and just didn't get them.

Of course, NDSU didn't offer him a scholarship, but don't let facts get in the way of a good smackfest.

I have to defend NDSU grad on this one. According to the post by "Marlins" earlier in this thread, Cavil had offers from UND, USD and UMD. He definitely knows Wisconsin recruiting, as he talks to pretty much all these kids. In terms of head-to-head "wins" in the recruiting game so far this year, Wisthoff for sure was offered by NDSU. I don't know one way or the other about the rest of the UND commits. I know there was considerable NDSU interest in Nichols and McGurran, but whether offers were actually made I can't say.

A lot of offers are generally made on a recruit's official visit. If a kid chooses to forego a visit to a school because he's already accepted an offer elsewhere there is porbably a pretty good chance he hasn't been offered by that school as they haven't had the opportunity to have done so. It doesn't mean they were any less interested.

I have to defend NDSU grad on this one. According to the post by "Marlins" earlier in this thread, Cavil had offers from UND, USD and UMD. He definitely knows Wisconsin recruiting, as he talks to pretty much all these kids. In terms of head-to-head "wins" in the recruiting game so far this year, Wisthoff for sure was offered by NDSU. I don't know one way or the other about the rest of the UND commits. I know there was considerable NDSU interest in Nichols and McGurran, but whether offers were actually made I can't say.

Thanks. I was obviously referring to Marlin's post.

A lot of offers are generally made on a recruit's official visit. If a kid chooses to forego a visit to a school because he's already accepted an offer elsewhere there is porbably a pretty good chance he hasn't been offered by that school as they haven't had the opportunity to have done so. It doesn't mean they were any less interested.

Very true. I know for a fact Whistoff had a visit to NDSU scheduled for December 15. He cancelled his visit and verballed to UND. Cavil said he had a visit scheduled with NDSU in January. I heard McGurran was to visit NDSU in January, but don't know that for a fact.

It's derived from the fact that the NCAA limits the number of players that can report for fall camp.

If you're not invited to report, you have to wait until school starts to join the team.

IE, a "preferred walkon" is anyone who reports to fall camp without a scholarship.

Very true. I know for a fact Whistoff had a visit to NDSU scheduled for December 15. He cancelled his visit and verballed to UND. Cavil said he had a visit scheduled with NDSU in January. I heard McGurran was to visit NDSU in January, but don't know that for a fact.

Good points.

So Sioux fans, did UND offer Horner from South? How about Bourne-McFarland, a receiver from Bloomington or Reid the linebacker from Milwaukee? Or is it if NDSU got him UND didn't want him? I hear that more from UND fans than NDSU fans.

Honestly, what are you hoping to prove here? It doesn't really matter all that much whether UND recruited those players or not. Both schools recruit guys who fit well intheir system. There are good players on ndsu's roster who wouldn't have fit at UND so UND didn't recruit them. Likewise there are players at UND who wouldn't fit well in ndsu's system so ndsu didn't recruit them. Other than the top level blue- chip guys who sign at Ohio State, USC, and schools of that caliber everybody else is just trying to find talented players who fit into their system. It's an in-exact science. Arguing that you have a stronger recruiting class simply because you may or may not have recruited some of the players the another team signed is not only pointless but pretty damn stupid. Most of these kids are a year away from even seeing the field and you can bet that at least one of your superstar signings will be a total flameout and that some other kid who walks on will become a valued contributor so it would appear that high school success isn't always an indicator of success at the next level.

So Sioux fans, did UND offer Horner from South? How about Bourne-McFarland, a receiver from Bloomington or Reid the linebacker from Milwaukee? Or is it if NDSU got him UND didn't want him? I hear that more from UND fans than NDSU fans.

If UND says a player can play at NDSU then they are no longer obligation to come to the promised land. However, they are required to give up their childhood dream though!

Honestly, what are you hoping to prove here? It doesn't really matter all that much whether UND recruited those players or not. Both schools recruit guys who fit well intheir system. There are good players on ndsu's roster who wouldn't have fit at UND so UND didn't recruit them. Likewise there are players at UND who wouldn't fit well in ndsu's system so ndsu didn't recruit them. Other than the top level blue- chip guys who sign at Ohio State, USC, and schools of that caliber everybody else is just trying to find talented players who fit into their system. It's an in-exact science. Arguing that you have a stronger recruiting class simply because you may or may not have recruited some of the players the another team signed is not only pointless but pretty damn stupid. Most of these kids are a year away from even seeing the field and you can bet that at least one of your superstar signings will be a total flameout and that some other kid who walks on will become a valued contributor so it would appear that high school success isn't always an indicator of success at the next level.

Why do you go out of your way to capitalize every school except NDSU?

Are you that bitter?

I have the following that have given verbal commitments to UND:

Ross Brenneman

Chris Tracy

Dan Edem

Seth Whistoff

Brian Sorenson

Marcus Hendrickson

Kyle Cavil

Mitch Haugeberg

Ian McGurran

Seth Nichols

Am I missing anyone? According to what I have read here, offers have been given to Ewing and Heimler. Anyone else?

I have the following that have given verbal commitments to UND:

Ross Brenneman

Chris Tracy

Dan Edem

Seth Whistoff

Brian Sorenson

Marcus Hendrickson

Kyle Cavil

Mitch Haugeberg

Ian McGurran

Seth Nichols

Am I missing anyone? According to what I have read here, offers have been given to Ewing and Heimler. Anyone else?

Mitch Sutton and Tyrell Rosemeyer have also reportedly been offered.