SiouxSports.com Forum

Who will win it all this year?

Superman0099

Who do you think will win the Frozen Four?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the Frozen Four?

• Minnesota
    • Cornell
    • Michigan
    • New Hampshire

Gophers 4, New Hampshire 3...overtime goal scored by Grant Potulny. I'm not trying to be totally ironic here, because I think it just might happen. :huh:

Now if money was on the line, then I'd say New Hampshire 4, Gophers 3...anytime I place money on my own team they lose, so this would be my "If I were a betting man..." pick :blush:

I'm not really into predictions, but my "gut" tells me that Cornell seems to be this year's "Team on a Mission" just like Minnesota was last year. Then again, Michigan always seems to play at another level this time of year ... again.

I say Minnesota 4-2 over UNH. I hate UNH with a passion, but that is mainly because I had to listen to a UNH fan up here talk smack for about 4 years in a row, meanwhile, the Sioux won a couple national championships during that time and he continued to say Umile and UNH were the best team in the country year in and year out.

Gotta cheer on the WCHA at this time of year to prove the conference domination, and honestly the Gophers are playing some pretty good hockey right now. The Minnesota-Michigan game should be a really good one to watch and I am excited to see LeNeveau from Cornell also.

Michigan looked good today vs. CC. Real test for MI (or MN) for that matter is can they win one away from the friendly confines. I don't care what anyone says, playing at home or on a familiar rink has its advantages. Logic has it that there should be more east coast fans than WCHA or CCHA fans. Mark of a true champ is to win in a hostile environment. I'll take MN if they get past MI. I haven't been that impressed with MN goaltending. MI has the best chance to put some shots on goal.

I'm gonna have to say I wasn't so sure about Cornell being the team they are played out to be, that is until I watched them play.

LeNeveu... well his numbers speak for themselves. He's unbelievable. They have a big strong defense led by Murray, and their offense executes with precision like no other team I saw this year. They don't play fancy, they are just straight good hockey, and they work together very well. Against MSU-Mankato, they looked like they were on the PP almost the entire time it was even strength. Their special teams looked great also. They are quite possibly the best all around team in the Frozen Four.

I think Minnesota will get by Michigan, and probably make one hell of a game out of the championship, but I would put my money on Cornell.

Cornell has no offense.

Did you happen to see the Minnesota State-Cornell game?...Cornell played the possession game extremely well. The puck seemed to be in the Mavs zone the majority of the game. Remember this IS tournament time and ANYhting can happen. This is why I think that Red Berensen's team will step it up a notch. They know that the rest of the world thinks that the only reason they beat CC was because it was at home (keep in mind, I am one of those people). They have something to prove, and I believe that they are capapble of proving it. Jed Ortmeyer, Jeff Tambellini, and Eric Nystrom have been underrated all year. I think this will be a great game...Minnesota has the better offense hands down, but Michigan has the better goaltending. It's Al Montoya vs. Potulny, Vanek, Guyer and Riddle. While this may sound like advantage Minnesota, the UND-Ferris game was touted as Mike Brown vs. Parise, Bochenski, Spiewak, and Notermann, Brown came out on top.

Get in line. MN has been steller defensively in its zone and the goalies have benefited from this.

Check the stats. Both Rodent goalies are under .900 save percentage and neither looked strong in the Regional. I don't care how good their D is I get 10 shots on goal and one of them is going in. In the Frozen Four you need your goalie to step up and play big. Gophs have the offense to play with anyone but I don't see them winning any 1-0 or 2-1 games this weekend.

Man sounds like last year when people talked about Hauser...I wonder how that one turned out :blush:

I watched Cornell play BC today and I am sorry but they dont strike me as world beaters. Mankato is a one line team with decent goaltending that tied their way to a Top 3 finish. Cornell dominating them was no surprise. But Cornell needed 2OT to beat BC and that is far from impressive. While the goalies stats are unbelievable, but he only faces 20 shots a game.

As for the Gopher goalies, their numbers are weak that is for sure, but they find ways to win you have to admit. JJ was awesome in the CC game and Web has been pretty solid all year. The expectations arent high, make the first save and dont give up more than 3 goals. IF the Gophs cant score 4 they dont deserve to win it would seem.

I dont care what happens, I am just glad the team is playing its best hockey now :huh:

Does any one else find it weird that Cornell is simply "The Big Red". No offence to Cornell or anything but thats a little weak.

Someone else will know better but I think Cornell might have been one of those teams that changed their nickname because of some opposition to the first one.

You can do the research though....

I agree, although I dislike Michigan greatly, I cannot root for the goofs under any circumstance. The goofs fans are trying to get their full revenge for the last 4 or 5 years prior to last year when the Sioux were clearly the dominant team in the rivalry. We will never hear the end of it if they won back to back!!

Heaven help Sioux fans if Minnesota repeats! Imagine the arrogance we would be hearing for another year from the fans of the Moronic and Gold. I could tolerate any outcome of the Frozen Four but that one.

You don't think we listen to you talk about "7 Championshsips, how many do you have?" at every opportunity?

Let's be honest, some fans are indeed arrogant (for all teams) and some aren't (for all teams).

I actually believe UNH may win this whole thing. They're the dark horse, but the way they've handled BU the past 3 times, there may be a surprise there.

In my view Michigan beat CC because CC wavered down the stretch. Ever since their home loss to Minnesota, they were not the same dominant team. They struggled against a plucky but tired UMD squad, lost to MN in the finals, and eked out a win against mightly Wayne State. They had the talent to win it all, much less beat Michigan at Yost. But, instead they went out with whimper. Just another case of when you're hot that matters.

Yes, Cornell clamped down on the Mavs, but the Mavs stayed in the game until midway through the third period, much in the same style as their WCHA play all year. If Minnesota gets by Michigan, I am hoping for a Cornell match up. This time, however, Cornell will be forced to defend against 4 pretty deep and talented lines :huh: .

Heaven help Sioux fans if Minnesota repeats! Imagine the arrogance we would be hearing for another year from the fans of the Moronic and Gold. I could tolerate any outcome of the Frozen Four but that one.

I agree, I had to listen to all of the Gopher fans that I know call my answering machine and brag about their title. Most of them never went to the UofM. I had one horses ass play the Rouser on my answering maching then hang up.

I don't know if I can stomach it.