SiouxSports.com Forum

Human Remains found on UND campus

WiSioux

I'm in class, and my teacher started off talking about this. I heard it last night from WiSioux, and I didn't believe her at first! But my teacher said something about an old medical school used to be there and something about a flu epidemic, and said maybe it was related to that....

I guess it might be a while before we find out any details. Hopefully the family of this person gets some closure if it was anytime recently and anyone was looking for them!

I'm in class, and my teacher started off talking about this. I heard it last night from WiSioux, and I didn't believe her at first! But my teacher said something about an old medical school used to be there and something about a flu epidemic, and said maybe it was related to that....

So, exhuming this body will result in a replay of the 1918 Flu Pandemic? Great. Just great. At least we'll all get to wear cool masks though. That will help offset the millions of deaths a bit.

I have two ides

1. Did they ever find that russel turcotte or whatever his name was who was last seen in grand forks?

2. during the flood, wonder if its possile when the medical center was flooded, if some boens got out and floated? pretty far fetched

3. Also during the flood, the coulee could have carried some bones from somwhere and i remember the coulee being up that high too.

Here's the latest update from UND.

Update On Human Remains Found On UND Campus

At approximately 4 p.m. on Oct. 17, Lunseth Plumbing and Heating Co. was excavating for a new steam line adjacent to the Chester Fritz Auditorium parking lot when they unearthed some bones. Authorities were notified and the University of North Dakota Department of Anthropology made the determination that the bones were human remains. The Department of Anthropology researchers completed their site excavation at approximately noon today.

The Department of Anthropology in conjunction with the North Dakota Forensic Pathology Laboratory in Bismarck will be analyzing the remains. No report is expected until the end of next week.

It appears at this time that the anatomical specimen has been there for some decades, that it is an older female (not a traditional college age student) and the initial analysis does not show signs of criminal activity.

UND is grateful for all of the support and assistance from the Department of Anthropology, the North Dakota State Laboratory, the North Dakota Highway Patrol, the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigations and the Grand Forks Police department.

--30--

Peter Johnson

Media Relations Coordinator

Office of University Relations

University of North Dakota

P.O. Box 7144

Grand Forks, ND 58202

(701) 777-4317

FAX: (701) 777-4616

peterjohnson@mail.und.nodak.edu

www.und.edu/news