SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus/Canad Complex

GeauxSioux

Same could be said about NDSU opening against Stephen F. Austin but there has been advertising for the the Bison. That is the first week students are back I believe.

Actually Stephen F. Austin is a pretty good team. Last year they played us really tough losing 17-9,though I'm guessing the margin will be a little wider considering it's in Fargo. I don't care if it's Humbolt St., Montana Tech, or whomever you've got to get out there and support your team! Yeah, I guess you could say that " I WILL BE THERE". :):lol:

Don't puke too much!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K., this has nothing to do with the Alerus/Canad complex, but since there has been some discussion of football attendance in this thread, I thought I'd post this here--what is the deal with the almost complete lack of a marketing effort to sell football season tickets? I've seen something like two billboards in Grand Forks, but nothing on TV, the radio or in the Herald. :)

Yes, I have wondered the same thing. I live in Minot and you wouldn't even know UND had a football program. But every year, it seems, there is a NDSU billboard. I think UND football and sports could use some more promotion. But then again, maybe there is no need for it and it would just be a waste of money.

Yes, I have wondered the same thing. I live in Minot and you wouldn't even know UND had a football program. But every year, it seems, there is a NDSU billboard. I think UND football and sports could use some more promotion. But then again, maybe there is no need for it and it would just be a waste of money.

Let there money run out, that's fine with us. I want UND to do it right and that means not spending money you might need down the road to better your/its programs!!!

Let there money run out, that's fine with us. I want UND to do it right and that means not spending money you might need down the road to better your/its programs!!!

I'm sure it's a waste of money - that's why eveyone on this board is talking about it! :)

I'm sure it's a waste of money - that's why eveyone on this board is talking about it! :)

More exposure= more butts in the seats= more money in the bank. Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember more Sioux billboards in the Fargo area in the past compared to maybe the last 3-4 years. I think you will see a ramped up effort to sell Sioux football to the region as you go into the transition. I think it's money well spent!!

Did anyone from Siouxsports.com attend this event yesterday?

The group was able to outline several strategic goals, which will be defined in a report highlighting the weekend. That report will be presented to the public on July 29 at the UND Football Letterwinners Golf Tournament in the Twin Cities. More than 200 football alumni, former and current coaches are expected to be present to hear the report

The group was able to outline several strategic goals, which will be defined in a report highlighting the weekend. That report will be presented to the public on July 29 at the UND Football Letterwinners Golf Tournament in the Twin Cities. More than 200 football alumni, former and current coaches are expected to be present to hear the report

I would hope that they have budgeted and planned for a marketing campaign, but my point about the event in the Cities is that they are releasing a brand new DI football DVD. I was/am assuming that there is a new marketing campaign associated with that release, which is why there hasn't been any hoopala yet.

That may be true, but the serious lack of any kind of promotion for the upcoming season is really strange. Kickoff is just over 3 weeks away and you wouldn't know it.

There will be tailgating at the Alerus. You will have to pay to park and there may be a additional fee for tailgating (larger spots).

I believe that the FSC tailgating tent will be discontinued, which is sad. They continue to take away from FSC members while asking for more money...?

We still have heard nothing about how they are going to handle tailgating. My opinion is rather than over complicate it they should just treat a tailgating vehicle as any other car that comes to the game. They just charge the 5.00 per vehicle or more for a mobile home(maybe 10 or 15). They don't need to reserve spots for each vehicle. Just leave it the way it always is. It has worked fine the way it was. They sure don't need to double charge for tailgating vehicles. They don't need to penalize the real loyal Sioux fans. If they complicate it too much it will be a real mess and they will just get a lot of people P.. off.

We still have heard nothing about how they are going to handle tailgating. My opinion is rather than over complicate it they should just treat a tailgating vehicle as any other car that comes to the game. They just charge the 5.00 per vehicle or more for a mobile home(maybe 10 or 15). They don't need to reserve spots for each vehicle. Just leave it the way it always is. It has worked fine the way it was. They sure don't need to double charge for tailgating vehicles. They don't need to penalize the real loyal Sioux fans. If they complicate it too much it will be a real mess and they will just get a lot of people P.. off.

Yeah! If they charge the tailgators double, that means less free food for them to give me! And I am what's really important here, right? :blush:

You are right though, there is no need to overly complicate things. They've worked fine so far, why add extra layers to the simple process?

I don't necessarily believe that charging for parking is the answer here. The more you are seen as nickle and diming the general public, the more apt people will be to stay home and listen on the radio or watch on TV. I understand that the Alerus needs to find new revenue streams to help balance the budget. I would have found that money another way. Increase concession prices. Hold indoor tailgating in your ballrooms, etc etc etc. Get creative.

You also have to think strategically on this. Announcing you are going to charge for parking lands you negative PR in the paper, radio, TV, websites, etc. Increasing your concessions or another novelty that you currently sell gets no attention and the people that paid for it last year will pay again this season.

Another thing that the Alerus needs to do is sink some marketing dollars into helping market their #1 tenant, football! The more people they get to enter their building, the more money they will earn from concessions, etc.

My wife got a call from a fellow tailgater today and he said that the Alerus is charging $30 per spot. I don't know if that means $30 per parking space or what. If you need 6 spots to park a motorhome will it cost 180? I don't know. He also said that there will be no spots on the far west side of the lot. If they want to charge per car that's fine, but they should not be taxing the tailgaters. Then what happens if a car load comes in and randomly parks at the south end of the lot and has a couple of beverages and snacks before the game? Is there going to be a tailgating patrol? They better make their plans public before kick off.

My wife got a call from a fellow tailgater today and he said that the Alerus is charging $30 per spot. I don't know if that means $30 per parking space or what. If you need 6 spots to park a motorhome will it cost 180? I don't know. He also said that there will be no spots on the far west side of the lot. If they want to charge per car that's fine, but they should not be taxing the tailgaters. Then what happens if a car load comes in and randomly parks at the south end of the lot and has a couple of beverages and snacks before the game? Is there going to be a tailgating patrol? They better make their plans public before kick off.

Is I understand it, the Herald was visiting the Al today to discuss this very subject. Look for something in print soon.

But if you can't wait, here's what I know:

30 bucks a spot, yes a 9' typical parking spot. After you sign up, (date to be published, I guess?) you choose your spots on the "parking lot chart." For our group, I'm guessing we'll need 4 or 5 spots, so it will end up being 120-150 bucks. This, however, is for the whole season, and your spot is reserved for the whole season. Like season tickets, except for campers, lawn chairs, and tasty libations.

"Away team" tailgaters will have un-reserved spots available, I'm guessing at the south end of all the reserved spots. I don't have any real details on this, other than something will be made available. I suppose there will be some sort of nominal fee for tailgating for 1 game? I dunno.

When I first heard all this, I thought WTF... but if we get all the people in our group to chip in, it will end up being 30-40 bucks for each family... an amount I can live with for the season.

Oh yeah... If we host playoffs, your reserved tailgate spot will be there waiting for you with no additional fees.

I'm not sure if the $5 vehicle parking goes on top of this or not, I would guess yes. Those finer points are sure to be brought to light from our fine friends at the Heraldo.

Alerus Center Tailgating fees

If you plan to tailgate at UND football games this year, you'll pay a fee. A pass reserved the Monday of game week will go for $7.50, and tailgaters will have to drop by the Alerus Center's administration office to get them. A tailgating pass bought on game day will cost $10. Season passes go for $30 for five games and up to three playoff games.

ALERUS CENTER: Yes, you will pay to tailgate

Rumors have swirled around town since news got out that Grand Forks' Alerus Center would start charging a parking fee for UND football games and other major events starting later this month.

Center executive director Charlie Jeske said he and UND officials have received worried calls from tailgaters wondering if the tailgating area will be moved or even if there will be any tailgating allowed. Members of official Fighting Sioux fan clubs have wondered if they now have to pay.

One of the issues with pay parking for the center will be dealing with Canad Inns customers, who mainly use the lot east of the hotel and entertainment complex. Alerus Center officials said Canad will issue parking passes to hotel guests, while customers of the hotel's bar and restaurants will probably get their parking fees reimbursed.

Some football fans, Jeske said, have discussed circumventing the parking fees by going to Canad Inn bar and restaurants before the game. But, he said, that's nothing the center can control.

What about the out-of-towners that want to tailgate? I'm cool with the 10 bucks, but it sounds like there might not be passes left by gameday? Can we call it with a credit card and pick up the pass on gameday for the $7.50? Dropping by the Alerus offices ain't an option.