SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus/Canad Complex

GeauxSioux

After spending the past week in GF, most of which was spent at the Canad, I can't help but think that game day for football is going to be huge. How many other schools can claim to have a destination hotel attached to their football stadium. I can see the three restaurants and Playmakers bar being packed. I would also think that Tavern United would be wise to set up a tent outside in the tailgating area.

What really got me thinking about the potential was that there were evidently some wedding dances going on in some of the Alerus ballroom's on Saturday night and there was a steady stream in the hallway between the Alerus and the Canad.

Game day at the Alerus/Canad complex is loaded with potential. :lol:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After spending the past week in GF, most of which was spent at the Canad, I can't help but think that game day for football is going to be huge. How many other schools can claim to have a destination hotel attached to their football stadium. I can see the three restaurants and Playmakers bar being packed. I would also think that Tavern United would be wise to set up a tent outside in the tailgating area.

What really got me thinking about the potential was that there were evidently some wedding dances going on in some of the Alerus ballroom's on Saturday night and there was a steady stream in the hallway between the Alerus and the Canad.

Game day at the Alerus/Canad complex is loaded with potential. :lol:

Tuesdays at tavern united and 2 dollar you call its are pretty essential

Any truth to the rumor that the Alerus is getting rid of the tailgating lot and charging for parking? I assume the Canad would give up part of their lot for tailgating, but would have to charge a fee to do so for security, cleanup, etc. I also agree though that the bars/restaurants at the Canad are going to be a sweet place to hangout before and after games.

Canad would be EXTREMELY WISE to find their slice of UND fb tailgating...the Bangers and Mash at Tavern United ROCK! (and the waitress outfits aren't bad either :lol:)

On another note: I agree the entire complex IS now what it was envisioned to be from the start! Convention business aside - there's a great sports angle they (UND and Canad in a partnership?) can work for the move to DI where visiting teams stay there on a deal - great word-of-mouth among schools, coaches and athletes and it might ultimately help us get better competition to come here during and after the transition JUST BECAUSE of the facility, amenities AND hospitality!

Finally - Thanks to the ownership of Canad Inns (Leo L.!) for having the faith in the potential of Grand Forks to have built such a great addition to an already great facility! This is truly a WIN-WIN situation for all! :D

Yep it would be a great idea if Grand Forks didn't allow any new businesses to come to town if they weren't local. That'd be awesome.

Grand Forks needs outside business to grow......But next time you need a donation, or a sponsor for your team or group....?

Try and solicit a "Major Chain".....Go to Menards, Lowes, Super Target, Kohl's, and the likes... The door will hit you in the face!

Where as , The Red Pepper, Italian Moon, Wendy's, Pita Pit, Dakota Sales, Mckinnon Co., Southgate, El Roco just to name a few will continue to "Give" and "Donate".....

Yeah that is great that the city of grand forks is willing to bring in chain after chain, and it is great that all the locally owned businesses are closing, shangrila, goodribs, support local businesses!!!!!!

Do you really think it was the chains that came into town that closed these local businesses?

Grand Forks needs outside business to grow......But next time you need a donation, or a sponsor for your team or group....?

Try and solicit a "Major Chain".....Go to Menards, Lowes, Super Target, Kohl's, and the likes... The door will hit you in the face!

Where as , The Red Pepper, Italian Moon, Wendy's, Pita Pit, Dakota Sales, Mckinnon Co., Southgate, El Roco just to name a few will continue to "Give" and "Donate".....

Very true. I have nothing against supporting local businesses, but the gist I got from DukeWoods was that chains are evil and Grand Forks shouldn't let them come to town. This seems to be an attitude of alot of people in Grand Forks, they are against outsiders. Maybe I'm wrong in the way I interpreted his post though.

I know for a fact that the owners of Papa Murphy's Pizza support UND 100%. Maybe the problem isn't the chains but who the local franchise owners are?

Yeah that is great that the city of grand forks is willing to bring in chain after chain, and it is great that all the locally owned businesses are closing, shangrila, goodribs, support local businesses!!!!!!

Yeah it chaps my behind, when there is a free enterprise economy and that businesses have to compete with other businesses.

You realize those "chain" stores started out as locally owned businesses, but were so good at what they did everyone wanted to eat (in this case) there that they could grow there business and do very well and move to other towns.

Like I said, I hate having options (to eat) thus forcing the restaurants that people use to eat at, when other "better" options weren't around to close. Choice = Bad for society.

I love the Shang. I live right across the street so it's tempting to order from there a lot. In fact, I tried ordering from there the other day, but no response. Apparently it is closed. The food was good, but I think their prices could have been a touch better. I didn't like to have to pay 9 dollars for a meal that I used to get for 5 dollars back home.

I don't think that free enterprise is bad I am just crushed that some of the great places in town are being shut down!!!! And if you think that all these new eating places and bars don't effect other businesses you are crazy, ask yourself how many times a week or month do you go out, 6 weeks ago, where did you go? where did you go last week? I bet it has changed to all of the new places and in a town with a limited amount of people it sure will effect the bottom line. I also like the comment about sponsorships and being involved in the community, If you think the CEO of the chain stores looks at grand forks as anything but a tax write off your crazy, half these stores want to just break even here, if that happens to a person who opens his own establishment who works day and night to protect his investment he goes under, that is why I like to support local businesses don't get me wrong I still go to target but if given a choice I and I repeat I like to go into a place where I can tell the owner thank you that was great and if it wasn't I can talk to him or her the other way too!! that is how I feel you can bash me all you want! I don't think big business is evil I just like little business more. I think theydo more to make our city a better place to live

I don't think that free enterprise is bad I am just crushed that some of the great places in town are being shut down!!!! And if you think that all these new eating places and bars don't effect other businesses you are crazy, ask yourself how many times a week or month do you go out, 6 weeks ago, where did you go? where did you go last week? I bet it has changed to all of the new places and in a town with a limited amount of people it sure will effect the bottom line. I also like the comment about sponsorships and being involved in the community, If you think the CEO of the chain stores looks at grand forks as anything but a tax write off your crazy, half these stores want to just break even here, if that happens to a person who opens his own establishment who works day and night to protect his investment he goes under, that is why I like to support local businesses don't get me wrong I still go to target but if given a choice I and I repeat I like to go into a place where I can tell the owner thank you that was great and if it wasn't I can talk to him or her the other way too!! that is how I feel you can bash me all you want! I don't think big business is evil I just like little business more. I think theydo more to make our city a better place to live

Business is about competition and in the case of Shangri-La - here's a story of how to go out on a sour note: When it came out they were closing (on about 5 days notice as I recall) - We went in early on a Saturday evening when they were supposed to be open through Sunday. We were greeted at the door by a sign that said, CLOSED - NO MORE FOOD! and the owner shooed us away himself just inside the door - that's gratitude? We were VERY loyal customers even when GF had 6, count 'em 6, Chinese restaurants including the all-you-can-eat illegal alien employing buffets operating full-steam. I would have LOVED to thank the owners for all the great food I've had there over the years but they didn't give me the chance. They could have milked a "closing forever" deal for a month or more and gone out on a high note but instead they chose to ignore the competition, try to live FOREVER as the place they were 20 years ago (the menu's were at LEAST that old), AND don't forget, the dim lighting had a purpose. If you looked around, the place was filthy and consistently was among the lowest rated in the annual Herald restaurant heath dept. report cards, and SOME act pissed because GF somehow abandoned them? They only added a lunch buffet very late and it was very lame - so why would I go there?

Now - look at the Italian Moon - another old (and probably filthy place) but they've updated their menus and are at least trying to keep up with the competition and, given customer loyalty, they'll do just FINE in the forseeable future... if you are at least willing to adapt to competition and stay modern - loyal customers WILL PATRONIZE you...if you just assume residents OWE YOU because you're local...I have a property in the Colony West Mall that proves otherwise...

Now - look at the Italian Moon - another old (and probably filthy place) but they've updated their menus and are at least trying to keep up with the competition and, given customer loyalty, they'll do just FINE in the forseeable future... if you are at least willing to adapt to competition and stay modern - loyal customers WILL PATRONIZE you...if you just assume residents OWE YOU because you're local...I have a property in the Colony West Mall that proves otherwise...

This is bull$%!#. Don't ever say that crap again, especially about the Moon. I've never seen them on the naughty list of eating places. In fact, they pride themselves on being a very "food safe" establishment. It's really not cool to be singling out restaruants like this. Besides all that, it's the Triouxper's official pre and post game haunt, so I take personal exception to a statement such as this. Get your facts straight before you post something as potentially damaging as this.