SiouxSports.com Forum

Lee Watch

Sioux-cia

My source (who is very close to the family) said in May that if Lee didn't go straight to the top club, then he would stay at UND another year. That was almost a month ago before the Senators reached the finals. I'll check in again with my source and get back to you all.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Marto play this last season in the USHL. He did not show me anything that would lead me to believe he will ever be a defenseman in the WCHA. He is a good skater and a good passer, but he makes Brian Lee look like Matt Greene in comparison. Wouldn't go into the corners, and just wasn't capable of being physical. I can easily be wrong, but I just do not see him as a WCHA defenseman. I did not see anything from him at all that even let me think he would make the Sioux team. Sorry, but that was my observation.

My source (who is very close to the family) said in May that if Lee didn't go straight to the top club, then he would stay at UND another year. That was almost a month ago before the Senators reached the finals. I'll check in again with my source and get back to you all.

If this is true, then my guess is that he is staying at UND! I think he is talented, but he is 3 or 4 YEARS away from being an NHL defenceman.

If this is true, then my guess is that he is staying at UND! I think he is talented, but he is 3 or 4 YEARS away from being an NHL defenceman.

if thats the case still then hes staying as hes not ready for the NHL, hope he stays but i say he leaves........

The coaches have no problem with a kid coming in here on non-scholarship and being a practice player (Scott Foyt, Lee Marvin). It gives the team added depth at the position and a leader in the locker room. The question is is if a kid wants to accept that role as a player, which will probably be the case with Marto. Also, a very likely situation next year could be Bina, Radke, Chorney, Finley, and Lee all leaving. This would open up a spot for Marto if the coaches feel he has the ability to be a player in the lineup every night.

The coaches have no problem with a kid coming in here on non-scholarship and being a practice player (Scott Foyt, Lee Marvin). It gives the team added depth at the position and a leader in the locker room. The question is is if a kid wants to accept that role as a player, which will probably be the case with Marto. Also, a very likely situation next year could be Bina, Radke, Chorney, Finley, and Lee all leaving. This would open up a spot for Marto if the coaches feel he has the ability to be a player in the lineup every night.

I'm assuming you mean after next season's completion. Bina and Radke aren't going anywhere this off season. Finley and Chorney said they'd stay. Lee we're still waiting for I guess.

I'm assuming you mean after next season's completion. Bina and Radke aren't going anywhere this off season. Finley and Chorney said they'd stay. Lee we're still waiting for I guess.

Yea I meant next offseason. You would for sure lose Bina and Radke, Chorney, Finley, and Lee (if he stays this year) would be likely departures.

I saw Marto play this last season in the USHL. He did not show me anything that would lead me to believe he will ever be a defenseman in the WCHA. He is a good skater and a good passer, but he makes Brian Lee look like Matt Greene in comparison. Wouldn't go into the corners, and just wasn't capable of being physical. I can easily be wrong, but I just do not see him as a WCHA defenseman. I did not see anything from him at all that even let me think he would make the Sioux team. Sorry, but that was my observation.

Well put.

Folks, use your heads when talking about Jake Marto. He may not be the best player, but wouldn't it be better to find out if he's going to be WCHA capable now, when it's not critical?

Current defensive group:

Chorney, Jones, Lee, Finley, Bina, Genoway, Radke.

How many of those will we have in 12 months?

Genoway and Jones.

Bina and Radke are seniors; Chorney, Lee, Finley I expect all to sign.

LaPoint and Jake Marto this year are musts to get them evaluated and experienced for the 2008-2009 season.

PS - Who were the last two not highly regarded GFC defensemen to play for UND -- Andy Schneider and Nick Fuher. They turned out OK. I'll be patient and see what Jake Marto can do.

Folks, use your heads when talking about Jake Marto. He may not be the best player, but wouldn't it be better to find out if he's going to be WCHA capable now, when it's not critical?

Current defensive group:

Chorney, Jones, Lee, Finley, Bina, Genoway, Radke.

How many of those will we have in 12 months?

Genoway and Jones.

Bina and Radke are seniors; Chorney, Lee, Finley I expect all to sign.

LaPoint and Jake Marto this year are musts to get them evaluated and experienced for the 2008-2009 season.

PS - Who were the last two not highly regarded GFC defensemen to play for UND -- Andy Schneider and Nick Fuher. They turned out OK. I'll be patient and see what Jake Marto can do.

Perfectly said!

In regards to Marto, I am not sure if any of us (Siouxman/Thetriouxper),including me, are qualified to make judgements on him. Members of the coaching staff,former members of the coaching staff, and his coach( all who did actually watched him play) all felt that at the end of the year he was outplaying his fellow defenseman Petrecki, the highly touted Boston College recruit, who is projected to be a 1st round pick in this years draft. The coaching staff is extremely excited about having him join the team this year. Marto was a very sought after recruit and UND was lucky to get him. I was on a business trip to Bismarck and the person I was with was contacted roughly 10 -15 times in a 2 day period by the U of M regarding him. They wanted him BAD. Again I will defer to the experts on this, yes they are human and can be wrong, but it is extremely rare if ever.

In regards to Marto, I am not sure if any of us (Siouxman/Thetriouxper),including me, are qualified to make judgements on him. Members of the coaching staff,former members of the coaching staff, and his coach( all who did actually watched him play) all felt that at the end of the year he was outplaying his fellow defenseman Petrecki, the highly touted Boston College recruit, who is projected to be a 1st round pick in this years draft. The coaching staff is extremely excited about having him join the team this year. Marto was a very sought after recruit and UND was lucky to get him. I was on a business trip to Bismarck and the person I was with was contacted roughly 10 -15 times in a 2 day period by the U of M regarding him. They wanted him BAD. Again I will defer to the experts on this, yes they are human and can be wrong, but it is extremely rare if ever.

I should clarify. I believe Marto is very talented, skating and handling the puck. What I was agreeing with was the fact he does not play physical at all. I understand that some players don't play that way, like Lee, but what I have seen from Marto is an avoidance of any contact whatsoever. I'm not trying to cut him down, I think he is a talented athlete, and I'm not saying he shouldn't be here. Just want to point out the WCHA is a tough league, if you don't like getting into some contact you might be disappointed.

It is easy to forget that Marto was recruited by both Minnesota and North Dakota. He is a very talented player that I think UND is very fortunate to have. There are a couple of things that make his situation unique, that in no way will prevent him from having a solid career at UND.

First when he graduated he was about 6' but only 150 pounds, which you can not be in the WCHA, playing defense. I don't think this was because he was weak, but rather he was a multi dimensional multi sport athlete. To his enormous credit he added about 10 pounds each of the last 2 seasons in the USHL, and if he hits the weight room hard he could come in at about 180 pounds, which is far more reasonable for a defensman in the WCHA.

The other thing about his situation is that we have an embarrassment of riches at UND on defense right now. Lee, Finley, Chorney are legit career NHLers. Jones, if he continues to develop may turn out to be a solid NHLer like his brother. Chay Genoway, though small, is a great QB like his brother. And Robbie Bina, just continues to get better and better and if this season is anything like last season, he may be an all WCHA type of guy.

If thats not enough we also bring in Derrick LaPoint, who is another elite defensman and if the draft were held today, probably would have gone in one of the top couple of rounds, based on lighting up the USHL as a rookie on a mediocre team.

Assuming we get Lee back and I REALLY hope we do (because Junior defensman tend to really improve in the WCHA), Marto is sitting as a very capable 8th or 9th defender (Radke). The reality is that as a freshman he is not likely to get alot of time. What he needs to focus on is to practice hard and hit the weight room hard. If you walk by him on the way to class, make sure he has a protein shake in his hand. :bigsmile: If some is to get hurt, he will be ready. And come next year, I suspect we will need him to be solid. As a Sioux fan maybe the best thing we can hope for a a red shirt and then see him as a solid 4 year player. I do expect that by the time he is a Senior, we will have reaped the benefit that made him a high end recruit.

I wholeheartedly agree that I am not qualified as an official judge of hockey talent. Players can be solid performers without being noticeable. From my experience watching Marto, that was not the case. I had no idea who Petrecki was, and had never heard of him. But by the end of the first period I was impressed. He clearly stood out and was making a difference in the game. Marto, on the otherhand, very much unimpressed me. For the most part he was a non-factor.

Yes, Marto was recruited by a few, likely based on their perceived impressions of where he might improve to. It was Nov 2006 when I saw him play. Maybe he has improved and maybe not since then. We will have to wait and see.

To say that both Minnesota and North Dakota both recruited Marto is true. However, when it is said that Minnesota wanted him bad, I don't know if that is a fair statement when I don't believe he ever got an offer from them. That said, I hope he shows them what they missed out on.

To say that both Minnesota and North Dakota both recruited Marto is true. However, when it is said that Minnesota wanted him bad, I don't know if that is a fair statement when I don't believe he ever got an offer from them. That said, I hope he shows them what they missed out on.

SIOUXNAMI - To say that Zach Jones could develop and one-day make the NHL is ridiculous. Are you delirious, nothing against Zach Jones, as he is a decent 4th/5th defensemen for the Sioux and maybe a number 3 defensemen on any other team. Yes, he plays the game hard and is a hard nosed player, but to overestimate this kid and say one day he could play in the NHL if he keeps on improving he may one day make the show.... c

SIOUXNAMI - To say that Zach Jones could develop and one-day make the NHL is ridiculous. Are you delirious, nothing against Zach Jones, as he is a decent 4th/5th defensemen for the Sioux and maybe a number 3 defensemen on any other team. Yes, he plays the game hard and is a hard nosed player, but to overestimate this kid and say one day he could play in the NHL if he keeps on improving he may one day make the show.... c