SiouxSports.com Forum

Lee Watch

Sioux-cia

Not saying being physical is all the game is about, but you can't skate around with a carton of eggs strapped to your body and not break any either. I think the skill is absolutely without a doubt there, not sure if the mentality is and am not sure that can be learned or taught? Again I hope he proves the many doubters out there wrong and has a great career.

In football there was the old saying: Brian needs to eat some dog food and get mean.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, Good luck Brian!

Second, I think Lee did a lot better than many of us think. We were just too fixated on a certain style of play for our D (like physical D and leave the offense to the forwards, which isn't Lee's gam at all).

Third: WHEW!!! Now that Lee's gone, we can focus the bashing on LaPoint, whose play is similar to Lee's. I can't imagine this board if Lee and LaPoint were both Sioux at the same time. Lee and LaPoint would be among the team leaders in points for defensemen and almost every postgame calling one or another to be benched or signed. This will be easier around here now that there's only Finley to bash (LaPoint soon enough).

Fourth Seriously, this is a blow to UND. Lee's offensive prowess and vision will be missed. His "haters" won't.

The Lee apologists all make it sound like the bashers were picking on Lee for no good reason, there is always a reason. That being said, Lee was very smart to take the money and run as who knows what the Sens were thinking offering that kind of money. The apologists always like comparing Lee's first two years to Roche's first two years. Personally, I think that Roche was a much more impressive offensive player than Lee and every bit the defensive player. Look at how long it has taken Roche to break into the NHL, and that is on a horrible team. I don't think that Finley will be the new whipping boy because Finley has actually shown noticable improvement year over year.

Neither Lee nor Blood were exceptional in the Senators three on three prospect tournament. In fact it was the Brian Elliot show all over again. I think he is ready to backup Emery now but may start the season in the AHL depending on whether or not the Senators can move Gerber's contract.

As for Blood, I can see Smaby-like potential in his game, but the year in Juniors really is a great idea as you could tell that the speed at this level is an entirely new experience for him.

As for Lee, only time will tell with respect to advancing his game at the professional level, but I will be shocked if he doesn't play at least all of this coming season in Binghampton.

The Lee apologists all make it sound like the bashers were picking on Lee for no good reason, there is always a reason. That being said, Lee was very smart to take the money and run as who knows what the Sens were thinking offering that kind of money. The apologists always like comparing Lee's first two years to Roche's first two years. Personally, I think that Roche was a much more impressive offensive player than Lee and every bit the defensive player. Look at how long it has taken Roche to break into the NHL, and that is on a horrible team. I don't think that Finley will be the new whipping boy because Finley has actually shown noticable improvement year over year.

Uh, I don't apologize for Lee's mistakes. I've never said he was the best defenseman on the Sioux. I never said he belongs on the list of all time greats. All I said is that half the crap he got from this board he did not deserve.

If that makes me an apologist, better that than a hater.

Uh, I don't apologize for Lee's mistakes. I've never said he was the best defenseman on the Sioux. I never said he belongs on the list of all time greats. All I said is that half the crap he got from this board he did not deserve.

If that makes me an apologist, better that than a hater.

I'm with you on this one, call me an apologist or whatever else, but I feel that Brian was unfairly singled-out at times. Like I said before, you simply do not replace the two years of WCHA blueline experience.

I'm with you on this one, call me an apologist or whatever else, but I feel that Brian was unfairly singled-out at times. Like I said before, you simply do not replace the two years of WCHA blueline experience.

you are right, you cant replace 2 years on the blueline for sure but i feel good about only losing brian having a couple other d men stay!! we started 4 freshman 2 years back and this year will only be 1 likely, we are very deep on D and think this core will lock some teams down big time

That being said, I have to say that I'm a bit surprised at the money he got when you consider how his second year at UND wound down. Of course, if he doesn't play in the NHL the Senators aren't really out that much, and if he ends up being good enough to play in the NHL this year, then I guess he's worth the money.

His money was dictated by the new collective bargaining agreement, and his rank in the draft. Had nothing to do with how his second year at UND wound down.

Standard three year contract for $850,000 per year, $85,000 signing bonus. If he plays in the minors, the money goes down to $100,000. Not a big risk for him or the team.

His money was dictated by the new collective bargaining agreement, and his rank in the draft. Had nothing to do with how his second year at UND wound down.

Standard three year contract for $850,000 per year, $85,000 signing bonus. If he plays in the minors, the money goes down to $100,000. Not a big risk for him or the team.

same deal as all rookie max contracts i believe, just players will have way different incentives than eachother to inflate those 850,000 base salaries

Does every 9th overall pick get offered "max money"? No, I doubt it. My understanding is that Lee signed for the max allowed under collective bargaining/ the Sens could have offered him less money? Perhaps an amount more in line with his peformance?

Does every 9th overall pick get offered "max money"? No, I doubt it. My understanding is that Lee signed for the max allowed under collective bargaining/ the Sens could have offered him less money? Perhaps an amount more in line with his peformance?

Lee has not yet "performed" in the NHL/AHL. Ottawa payed that rookie max, just like all top round draft picks get. If Ottawa has less success in the following years due to getting the D banged around by bigger forwards (aka Ducks), then I'm sure the GM job will be available; have you applied?

Nice to have company. Say, Trioup, when do we start "apologizing" for LaPoint? I know he hasn't played any games for the Sioux yet, but all the scouts say his game is similar to Lee's and his physicality is similar to Lee's... They also say he's a bit raw. Should we wait 2 games? 3 games? How long?

Nice to have company. Say, Trioup, when do we start "apologizing" for LaPoint? I know he hasn't played any games for the Sioux yet, but all the scouts say his game is similar to Lee's and his physicality is similar to Lee's... They also say he's a bit raw. Should we wait 2 games? 3 games? How long?

Well, since he has already been compared to Lee, I would say that LaPoint season is officially open now.

Enough with the "Lapoint under the bus" crap. How many times do you need to say the exact same thing?

Who are you going to appologize for if Lapoint comes in and is the WCHA ROY? If he does struggle, I don't think people will "throw him under the bus" like "they" did to Lee.

Most people on this board have never seen Lapoint play a game. Whereas, a lot of Sioux fans watched Brian Lee all through high school. They watched him dominate in high school and that never happend in the WCHA.

That said, good luck to Brian in the NHL/AHL.

Enough with the "Lapoint under the bus" crap. How many times do you need to say the exact same thing?

Who are you going to appologize for if Lapoint comes in and is the WCHA ROY? If he does struggle, I don't think people will "throw him under the bus" like "they" did to Lee.

Most people on this board have never seen Lapoint play a game. Whereas, a lot of Sioux fans watched Brian Lee all through high school. They watched him dominate in high school and that never happend in the WCHA.

No Kidding. :) Well put.

I will say this about Lee, he was not the prototypical UND defenseman with big size and physicality to his game but moved the puck well and performed solid for the most part. He had a few lackluster moments in his two years, and he did not develop or perform to the ridiculously high expectations put upon himself with that draft position.

Lee was a solid two-year player here at UND, and he will be missed for his experience on the blue line this year. On the flip side, the Sioux have some experience returning in Chorney, Bina, Finley, Jones and Genoway to go with an incoming duo of Marto and LaPoint. If Radke moves back to forward or not, the defense will be a major asset to the team's success next year, and I strongly feel they're going to be great. The offense is still much intact with the loss of only Toews (early depature), Porter (graduation) and Fabian (graduation), and a surplus of incoming freshmen to replace those guys. I think the offense will be just as if not even more explosive as last year because Oshie and Duncan, along with Kozek, Watkins, VandeVelde, Miller, Martens, Kaip and Zajac having more experience. Goaltending will be once again be strong with Lamoureux as a experienced starter now. I'm so excited and pumped for the season, only 94 days away till the drop of the puck!!

Well, since he has already been compared to Lee, I would say that LaPoint season is officially open now.

last time i checked lee has been the only player in recent years to be crtisized like he was. finley was early but he has improved his game a lot! i dont care either way if people rag on a player or cheer on a player as long as they bring facts and good arguments. if we all agreed on everything this sure would be a boring board and i think your point has been well documented;) :) i think lee is a very different case with many fans, he came in as a very high draft pick, mr hockey and so on and he didnt deliver to some fans likings, oh well, we move on and have another run to the frozen 4! trioup, red, whos with me on that? for those who are lets crack some cold ones in denver ;)

last time i checked lee has been the only player in recent years to be crtisized like he was. finley was early but he has improved his game a lot! i dont care either way if people rag on a player or cheer on a player as long as they bring facts and good arguments. if we all agreed on everything this sure would be a boring board and i think your point has been well documented;) :) i think lee is a very different case with many fans, he came in as a very high draft pick, mr hockey and so on and he didnt deliver to some fans likings, oh well, we move on and have another run to the frozen 4! trioup, red, whos with me on that? for those who are lets crack some cold ones in denver ;)

Yeah, sounds good to me.

I never used under the bus. Haven't for a while. I know it gets annoying and it seems endless. Kindof like the Lee bashing. Got tiring and it was endless. And don't give me that "criticism" crap. Only 25% of it was honest criticism.

Who am I going to apologize for if LaPoint wins ROY? No one! I was a big fan of Lee's. I'm a big fan of LaPoint! I think LaPoint has a good chance at winning the ROY. Yeah, I'd think Turris has a good chance at it, but with Eaves' system, that 10-15-25 scoring line better be pretty significant. (For all you UW fans or Turris fans, there's no way in HELL Turris would score so low if he were on teams like Michigan, UND, UMN, or even SCSU). So, yeah, LaPoint has a very legit shot.

You're right. Most people haven't seen LaPoint play. But they have seen his score sheet, read the articles about him, and heard him compared to Lee. I think that is more than enough material to form a sort of hype that LaPoint will be hard pressed to live up to or in the case of comparison to Lee, disprove. He's the same size as Lee and his physical game is identical to Lee's, at least according to every account I've read. Maybe it will be wrong, but if it is right... do the math.

What I WILL say is that I will stand up for any Sioux player if unjustly chastised. All the crap that was thrown around last season was embarrassing.

AZ- Well said. I guess I just don't like needless ragging.

Question: How many people on this board were critical of Lee's play prior to him coming to UND? Very few. How many were critical after seeing him play two years here? Quite a few. Why is that?

I am sure you would have to ask each individual person why for their own reasons.

Question: How many people on this board were critical of Lee's play prior to him coming to UND? Very few. How many were critical after seeing him play two years here? Quite a few. Why is that?

I would argue that most fans for most teams don't get a chance to see recruits play too often before they arrive on campus. For a kid like Lee, he was somewhat local and was a pretty "big get" at the time because he's obviously highly skilled (first round draft pick, three-time WJ player, etc.). So, the fans recognize that their team just landed a big recruit and thus, like any fanbase, talk them up a lot. But, with this talk comes expectations from the fans, and once they are on campus, it's obviously much easier to watch them live or on TV. And when they don't live up to these big expectations, then the critical comments start coming.

Most fans are going to talk up pretty much all recruits for their team before they get to college. The coaching staff went out and brought these kids in for a reason, and at schools like UND, BC, Minnesota, etc., all the recruits are pretty good. Even the guys that are clearly "lower" recruits can be, in the eyes of the coaching staff and/or fans [before they got on campus], good role players, etc. But, obviously not all recruits pan out.

From a Gopher perspective, Mike Howe led the USHL in scoring the year before coming to Minnesota, and he has been a huge bust. But there was no reason NOT to talk him up before he came to UM, since the two players who led the USHL in scoring before Howe were Vanek and Ryan Potulny. Why wouldn't Gopher fans be excited? He's a good example of a kid seeming like a "big get" at the time, but in the end, he never took that next step. The argument could be made that he's the one player that could have really stepped things up for the Gophers last year, given all the youth at forward. He was given the chance at the start of the year, but failed, and it will be surprising if he starts to score again this fall as a senior-to-be. It should be noted that he's had some medical issues along the way, but the U has come out a few times and said they thought they had things under control ... I doubt we'll ever know how much his medical issues affected his play.