SiouxSports.com Forum

BC vs. The Fighting Sioux!

dj_hoime

I thought he played good up until the goal that went through his glove. The one that really burned my butt was the empty netter.

:silly:

I can't even blame Phil for that one. We lose a faceoff in BC's zone, let them skate it freely into our zone and then let a guy go in on our goalie all alone? That was a cascading set of poor plays that cost us.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, enough of the feeling like crap!!! Geeze Louise. Our team has made it to the F4 three friggin' years in a row. We didn't win and it hurts. But fu@kin' A, we made it to the F4 three friggin' years in a row!!

I'm going to St. Louis Saturday and I'm going to celebrate the success of our athletes. The best hockey players in the WCHA and as far as I'm concerned the best in the country.

I'm sad but I'm damned proud!!

HERE'S TO EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU, TO OUR FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY TEAM AND COACHES!!!!

I wish I could have this positive outlook. But I am who I am and I'm still sad and will be for a couple days.

Ok, enough of the feeling like crap!!! Geeze Louise. Our team has made it to the F4 three friggin' years in a row. We didn't win and it hurts. But fu@kin' A, we made it to the F4 three friggin' years in a row!!

I'm going to St. Louis Saturday and I'm going to celebrate the success of our athletes. The best hockey players in the WCHA and as far as I'm concerned the best in the country.

HERE'S TO EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU, TO OUR FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY TEAM AND COACHES!!!!

And here I thought 3rd time was the charm. :silly:

Maybe because you need a quality goaltender for the phenomenon to work. This loss isn't all PL's fault but the last two goals before the empty netters were saveable.

Oh come on, let's not even go there. :silly: If it wasn't for Lammy, this game would have gotten out of hand during the 2nd period when we were getting our butts handed to us. Heck, if it wasn't for Lammy, the Rodents would have been playing tonight instead of us. And I don't think their goaltending would have been as effective as ours was tonight.

I think Michigan State's goalie is better than what Boston College has. I don't know if it will make a difference in the outcome, but you never know. Not that I care either way.

Amen Sister!!!!!!!!

We will always love our Sioux!

Sorry Sioux-cia, I respect you as a fan and a person, but I just can't get excited about getting to the Frozen Four three years in a row and coming up short each time. Remember all of those Gopher teams in the 1980's and early to mid 1990's that got to the Frozen Four many times, but couldn't win it all even once? Their fans got tired of it and now I know what it feels like. Even ONE title out of three trips would have been awesome. Even ONE title during the past 7 years would be better than zero.

Granted, it's better to make playoff runs like this than be like Michigan Tech or UM-Duluth and struggle to get out of the second-half of the league, but it's just so frustrating to get so close and come up short. You just don't know how many chances you are going to get at playing in the Frozen Four; you have to take advantage of them before the window closes.

I'll always support this program; I plan on forking over another chunk of cash for season tickets again for next year. But a program's legacy is built on National Titles and we just haven't cashed in during the last seven years like we used to.

Having said all that.....enjoy St. Louis! :silly:

Re: Finley's last penalty -

You can dispute the call - IMO he probably shouldn't have been near the guy in the first place - if you look at the replay he was checking a BC player in the corner that was already covered while we were killing a penalty - there was no reason to double up on the puck in that situation. If he plays his position, he doesn't make that check and get the penalty.

I guess there extra faceoff practicing worked out for them pretty well =/

I thought a bigger problem was that when we did win the faceoff we wouldn't be able to take the puck out of our zone.

They really gave us a hard time breaking out and getting through the neutral zone. Then especially in the second period we'd maybe get one shot off if we got that far.

They're a very good team, I don't like the way we lost, but they are a good team.

The saving grace is that I'm sure the Sioux can play better. If we do that, we can win this thing. If we keep playing as we are, I'm not confident.

At the end of the second, I couldn't believe how much BC was outclassing UND; they had the puck all the time. PCM was right though, and I thought UND played outstanding playoff hockey through most of the third period. All the great chances BC had earlier in the game were eliminated in the third, and the Sioux finally started to wear them down. The go-ahead goal was a nice play by BC, but it was one of their first good chances of the period.

The rest of the game was wierdly similar to last year's game. Last year the Sioux went on the PK with about 5 minutes left and Zajac got the SHG to cut it to 6-4, then UND took another penalty with 3 minutes left. Lee scored with 12 seconds left.

This year Porter goes with 6 minutes left, and Oshie gets the SHG to tie it at 3-3. Then Finley got called right away, and while I thought the call was weak, UND did get the makeup call a minute later. The ENG ultimately was a killer, and I just haven't seen a wide angle view of that one to see what happened. Did everyone go off on a change? Did they think the PP was over and it would be called for icing? Whatever the reason, it was a huge mental mistake that may have costed the hockey game.

Oshie is like Scott Dub with mad skills.

A big factor in this game was Boyle's ability to contain Toews; on many Sioux possessions, it seemed that Boyle rubbed JT out, and the possession ended. A big difference between these teams occurred over the offseason. While the WCHA powers lost many of their stars, Boyle and Schneider (BC's two best players) inexplicably returned to BC for their senior and junior years, respectively. Take your pick among Zajac, Stafford and Smaby and see if it would have made a difference. Denver and MN could make the same claim. It's not that UND was victimized by early defections, just that BC benefited from avoiding them. Like Jordan Leopold, Boyle looks to make his return count by winning a title.

It's not a rip on Toews that Boyle contained him so well. All you need to see to understand it is: Boyle DOB 12/18/84. Toews DOB 4/28/88. Three and a half years makes a pretty big difference in physical maturity.

I think the better team probably won tonight, but this game was winnable in the third period despite that, and it's too bad they weren't able to finish it out.

Sorry Sioux-cia, I respect you as a fan and a person, but I just can't get excited about getting to the Frozen Four three years in a row and coming up short each time.

I'm sorry, but you're one of the spoiled Sioux fans that Tim Hennessy and Tim O'Keefe talked about after the game. Most teams in college hockey have no idea what it's like to get to the Frozen Four, let alone win a national championship. Most of them don't know what it's like to win a league championship or a league tournament.

I think people need to keep in mind that Hakstol is a young coach. He can learn from this, too. I think he will. I hope we have a good core of players back next season who learned what's necessary to win the final game of the college hockey season. I think we will.

I also think that the WCHA wasn't as good this season as it's been the past several years. Can anyone honestly say that any other team in the league would have beat BC the way the Eagles played tonight? They are obviously a very, very good team. This just wasn't our year.

The ENG ultimately was a killer, and I just haven't seen a wide angle view of that one to see what happened. Did everyone go off on a change? Did they think the PP was over and it would be called for icing? Whatever the reason, it was a huge mental mistake that may have costed the hockey game.

I suspect that Brian Lee will get blamed by a lot of folks, but he was coming from the other side. I'd like to see a wide angle shot to see what really happened.

Without seeing the whole ice you can't make a judgment of the play.

I'm sorry, but you're one of the spoiled Sioux fans that Tim Hennessy and Tim O'Keefe talked about after the game. Most teams in college hockey have no idea what it's like to get to the Frozen Four, let alone a national championship. Most of them don't know what it's like to win a league championship or a league tournament.

I think people need to keep in mind that Hakstol is a young coach. He can learn from this, too. I think he will. I hope we have a good core of players back next season who learned what's necessary to win the final game of the college hockey season. I think we will.

I also think that the WCHA wasn't as good this season as it's been the past several years. Can anyone honestly say that any other team in the league would have beat BC the way the Eagles played tonight? They are obviously a very, very good team. This just wasn't our year.

I agree the WCHA wasn't as good as it has been the past several years. That can be partially attributed to the huge amount of player defections that came from the conference itself. Every one in the WCHA virtually had what you can call a "young" team. I think Hakstol is just warming himself up to win 3 national championships in a row now!! :silly::lol:

I'm sorry, but you're one of the spoiled Sioux fans that Tim Hennessy and Tim O'Keefe talked about after the game. Most teams in college hockey have no idea what it's like to get to the Frozen Four, let alone win a national championship. Most of them don't know what it's like to win a league championship or a league tournament.

PCM & Sioux-CIA have captured it very well. First we were hot the better team tonight and it showed. We can talk about specific playsers, plays, penalties, etc..But that stuff occurs in every game and the winning team (usually the Sioux) finds a way to win. The bottom line is that we did not deserve to win becasue we were outplayed tonight by a very good team. There is no reason to look at it any differently. When we take shots at our players or the refs it doesn't reflect well on our program. Which IMO is one of the best and will contunue to be. I am very bummed that we did not finish the run but I am extremely proud to be a Sioux Alum and plan on focusing on next year and who we can sign.

One last thing. To complain about only winning 7 titles in 17 Frozen Four appearances is whinning! Last time I checked we have the second most titles in the history of College Hockey and we continue to build on that every year. Be proud of this years team and remember that we are the luckiest fans in all of college hockey. I will not bother giving the list of reasons because it is so obvious. Have a great offseason and I look forward to checking in during the offseason. Now I am hope we can keep a few of these guys for our run next year!!

GO SIOUX!!!!

I'm sorry, but you're one of the spoiled Sioux fans that Tim Hennessy and Tim O'Keefe talked about after the game. Most teams in college hockey have no idea what it's like to get to the Frozen Four, let alone a national championship. Most of them don't know what it's like to win a league championship or a league tournament.

Sorry PCM, but I don't need to be lectured by you or anyone else. :silly:

-I was there during Gino's last year (11 wins total), but still went to every home game.

-I was there when Blais rebuilt the program (it didn't take long) and supported the team during the 1990's when we were winning.

-When we hit the skids for a couple of years (2001-02 and 2002-03) I still went to every home game and supported the team. I drove down to the Regional in Minneapolis and watched us lose to Ferris State. I didn't have a good feeling about the game beforehand, but I still went and I still felt that the trip was worth it.

-When Hakstol was struggling during his first season and a bunch of people on this forum wanted him fired, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

-I go to the Final Five and support our team every year, whether we are playing for the championship or in the 3rd place game.

-And I WILL support this team next year no matter how many underclassmen we lose or how much the freshmen struggle (and they WILL struggle, it's just a matter of how much), or if we have a down year. And I have already pointed out that it's better to have a program like ours instead of a program that can't seem to get it together (Michigan Tech and Anchorage come to mind).

If you weren't cherry-picking my posts, you would realize that I haven't ripped any of our players or coaches. I haven't ripped the officiating (although I don't think it was up to championship standard for either team tonight). All I've done is express my sadness that we didn't finish what we started in Denver. And if that makes me a bad fan, so be it.

In short, Sioux-cia and I are dealing with tonight's loss in different ways. Neither way is right or wrong. I respect her as a fan (and her positive outlook on almost everything). I just don't always agree with or share her approach on things. And this is one of those times. I don't have a problem with that; I'm sorry that you do.

One last thing. To complain about only winning 7 titles in 17 Frozen Four appearances is whinning! Last time I checked we have the second most titles in the history of College Hockey and we continue to build on that every year. Be proud of this years team and remember that we are the luckiest fans in all of college hockey. I will not bother giving the list of reasons because it is so obvious. Have a great offseason and I look forward to checking in during the offseason. Now I am hope we can keep a few of these guys for our run next year!!

GO SIOUX!!!!

I don't expect to win the Frozen Four every time we get there; college hockey is just too competitive. But it is frustrating to come up short three straight times. In 2005, just getting there and beating the Gophers was more than enough. In 2006, getting there with a very young team was exciting. This year, it looked promising and it didn't pan out. That is very disappointing. I just don't think that being disappointed is equivalent to whining. I am a proud season-ticket holder and will continue to go to every home game (and a few road games as well). If we make another playoff run, I will go to those games if I can. If not, I'll watch it on TV. Our returning players will dust themselves off and be back in October. I think you can be a loyal fan and be disappointed at the same time. I'm sorry if some of you don't agree with that.

Another trip to the Frozen Four, another loss. :lol:

Ever since 2001, we can't win the big game in hockey or any other sport. I won't list them here, most of us know which games and sports I am talking about and frankly, I'm not in the mood. :silly:

Sioux Chokers!

I remember talking to T.J.'s dad the fall T.J. came to the U. His dad said then that T. J. would be here four years. I recently heard an interview with T.J.'s dad where he said that the Blue's family wanted T.J. to stay in school for three years.

I believe T.J. loves the Fighting Sioux program and his fellow players but agree, if he leaves it will be because of family.......

well, keep us updated then!...I'm dying to know where he's going to be!!!! :silly:

Sioux Arrogance.

gayer than a bag of dicks?

anyways.

Ill take a little piece from all the past few posts. Sioux did not deserve to win, mainly due to the final 5 minutes. They had their chance but blew it on two stupid penalties so therefore eliminates any possibility from another come from behind victory. Wow, dejavu from last year. 16 seconds left this year, and what 12.2 or so seconds last year to come within a goal. I knew it was over but even for the fact of the matter that this happened again was gut wrenching.

Im far from unhappy and Im surprisingly over it much sooner than I thought I would be. From our standpoint of the first several weeks of the season we didn't deserve to come this far, but once again we proved ourselves who we are as a team, a tradition, and as a well talented group of individuals and they gave themselves another chance for a national title, but fell short. The D.O.T line will no longer exsist which is probably the sadest part of all. But still we have hope, or probably little hope knowing the NCAA, that Duncan will receive the hobey tomorrow night.

But whatever, we have some kick ass nhl playoffs next week and twins baseball is in full effect. Let the sun shine, the weather become warmer, and the summer begin. Because just around the corner will be yet another kick ass sioux hockey season! Sioux beat themselves at the end and theres nothing they can do about it. Goodnight sioux fans! and fellow trollers, take a deep breath, and just know that your season ended two or more weeks ago :silly: wesseyafelleeya!