SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 WCHA Final 5 thoughts & predictions

AZSIOUX

I'd rather listen to that, than the Tech Band.

I've never heard the Tech band... but I've heard the UW band for years.... I find them to be rather annoying.... more so when they aren't playing their instruments than when they are...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard the Tech band... but I've heard the UW band for years.... I find them to be rather annoying.... more so when they aren't playing their instruments than when they are...

I get to hear them in Detroit every year.

Tech Band is rarely silent. Don't ever let them get a power play. You'll know why they are the band on the northwoods :angry:

I would rather play Tech though.

Elliott is the player of the game and UW shows why I wanted MTU to win. Their defensive strategy works well in the playoffs. Of course, two fluke goals and two defensive breakdowns never hurt.

MTU's crashing the corner strategy just doesn't work. Period. Gorowsky scored, sure, but there were TWO Badgers open in front of the net. If Teslak made the save it surely would have resulted in a goal anyhow as that other Badger would have knocked it in.

Put away your Homer hats, guys, we want the Gophers to win tommorrow.

Even though a play-in game team has never won it all? :angry:

I think you're giving way too much credit to the Badgers. MTU played three games last weekend at high altitude on CC's frozen lake. I thought the Huskies lacked energy from beginning to end. They certainly weren't as good defensively as I expected them to be. And that was against an offensively challenged team.

The Sioux need to win tomorrow's game and then we can worry about how likely they are to win Saturday.

Ok, I don't know if I should press my luck after the first round, but I gotta try it, just to give my support to my team.

Here's what I HOPE happens at the Final Five.

Tech beats Wisco, since Tech swept UND at home, we want them to remain a TUC, for sure.

UND gets by St. Cloud, then Minnesota beats Tech Friday night.

Tech comes back Saturday afternoon and beats St. Cloud, UND beats the Gophers Saturday night, which means that St. Cloud, with 2 losses on the weekend, drops to #5 in the pairwise, UND with 2 wins moves up to 4, and gets a #1 seed. Of course, this only happens with certain other teams winning/losing in their respective conferences, but hey, we can only worry about our own, right? :lol:

Good thing I didn't pick Tech to win any games over on the USCHO pick 'em thread. At least, I don't THINK I did...

Either way, my streak appears to be over. :D

It don't matter who wins tomorrow between the Badgers and Gophers if we don't beat St. Cloud first! :D

By the way, does anyone else think that Wisconsin has somewhat intimidating jerseys. They remind me of the Red Wings and old Soviet uni's...that red with white trim. Maybe it's just me, haha. :lol:

Ugh.

Back from tonite's game. How embarrassing it is now that Tech swept us in our own shed? Fortunately it seems like a decade ago. Tonite Tech was unimpressive from the get-go. A 4 on 2 in the first period and all 4 guys are gliding into the offensive zone?

Huh?

Tech appeared to lack speed and much of any idea what to do with the puck in the offensive zone. I don't understand how they had the finish they had in the WCHA from what I saw tonite. Maybe this isn't the Tech team that played all year. I hope not. From what I've seen of Duluth, for instance, Tech wouldn't even be on the same ice sheet, and Duluth finished much lower in the standings.

One thing Tech did was play physically, but other than that they lacked much spark at all. It's hard to know how good the Badgers really are, because Tech played so poorly. At least that's how I see it.

I do think the Badgers played a pretty good game, but how good are they? I guess they'll get a real test tomorrow.

Anyone who ranked Teslak higher than Lammy for goalies in the Final Five needs to get out the eraser.

I've read opposing coaches rave about UND's transition game and how quick and aggressive they are in turning things the other way. I guess since I see the Sioux and the gophers play more than anyone I just figured all teams pretty much look the same way. Watching Tech tonite I see why coaches rave about the Sioux.

Looking forward to a more entertaining game tomorrow.

BTW, I've jinxed Porter by predicting a big game for him tomorrow.

Ugh.

Back from tonite's game. How embarrassing it is now that Tech swept us in our own shed? Fortunately it seems like a decade ago. Tonite Tech was unimpressive from the get-go. A 4 on 2 in the first period and all 4 guys are gliding into the offensive zone?

Huh?

Tech appeared to lack speed and much of any idea what to do with the puck in the offensive zone. I don't understand how they had the finish they had in the WCHA from what I saw tonite. Maybe this isn't the Tech team that played all year. I hope not. From what I've seen of Duluth, for instance, Tech wouldn't even be on the same ice sheet, and Duluth finished much lower in the standings.

One thing Tech did was play physically, but other than that they lacked much spark at all. It's hard to know how good the Badgers really are, because Tech played so poorly. At least that's how I see it.

I do think the Badgers played a pretty good game, but how good are they? I guess they'll get a real test tomorrow.

Anyone who ranked Teslak higher than Lammy for goalies in the Final Five needs to get out the eraser.

I've read opposing coaches rave about UND's transition game and how quick and aggressive they are in turning things the other way. I guess since I see the Sioux and the gophers play more than anyone I just figured all teams pretty much look the same way. Watching Tech tonite I see why coaches rave about the Sioux.

Looking forward to a more entertaining game tomorrow.

BTW, I've jinxed Porter by predicting a big game for him tomorrow.

Good summary. I think we pretty much watched the same game.

I do think it helped Wisconsin that the game outcome was pretty safe after 2 periods, enabling them to rest their top guys in the 3rd.

My 13-year-old daughter said it was like watching high school hockey, and there was some truth to it in the pace of the game was a lot slower than what we've gotten used to. However, I do think that Wisconsin simply wasn't tested tonight.

Sat right next to some of the Sioux - Bina, Fabian - they were paying pretty close attention.

Back from tonite's game. How embarrassing it is now that Tech swept us in our own shed?

Without Toews and with Lamoureux and Oshie playing hurt? We now know how much of a difference it makes to have the DOT line healthy and Lamoureux playing at top speed.

I agree that MTU was quite unimpressive and lacking in energy. I've seen them play much better games, but tonight the Huskies played on their heels from the drop of the puck. The Badgers are a team of playoff-seasoned veterans, and it showed tonight. Nobody should take them lightly.

Elliott is the player of the game and UW shows why I wanted MTU to win. Their defensive strategy works well in the playoffs. Of course, two fluke goals and two defensive breakdowns never hurt.

MTU's crashing the corner strategy just doesn't work. Period. Gorowsky scored, sure, but there were TWO Badgers open in front of the net. If Teslak made the save it surely would have resulted in a goal anyhow as that other Badger would have knocked it in.

Eliot looked good against a hard working team with no goal scoring talent to speak of. They created some chances but then proceeded to shoot the puck right at Elliot.

The Sioux have solved Eliot before (F5 last year) and I don't think they fear any team/goalie right now.

Without Toews and with Lamoureux and Oshie playing hurt? We now know how much of a difference it makes to have the DOT line healthy and Lamoureux playing at top speed.

You make a good point, PCM. I would say the Badgers don't have that level of offensive talent on their team, yet managed a pretty convincing victory, but Lammy's injury made it even harder for the boys.

Anyone else hear Woog predict the Sioux win the Final Five? Another kiss of death moment.

I heard that. I also heard Frank trying to make the case for the Gophers and Woog shooting him down. :lol:

Based on how people have played lately, I am going with Sioux and BADgers for the championship game.

Even with Motzko sandbagging about how tired his team is (which he probably wouldn't be saying if they really were tired), I just think our overall tempo will force mistakes, and the smaller ice surface plays to our strength. Thankfully, its a road game so there will be more-vocal support from Sioux fans too.

As for tonight, the Badgers have extra motivation and they are pretty well rested, what with Tech's rubber legs and the big lead last night. Minnesota has better speed and shotmakers but they won't get many chances. I predict a 5 OT game. :lol: 3-2 Wisconsin wins at 2:30 tomorrow morning.

From today's Strib

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/1058468.html

"The Gophers will be playing on an NHL-sized rink for the first time since Jan. 5 at Minnesota State, Mankato, so Lucia took advantage of available ice time at Xcel Energy Center on Wednesday and Thursday to get his team acclimated to the change."

Did all teams get 2 practice sessions at the X???

Conspiracy!!! :lol::D

From today's Strib

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/1058468.html

"The Gophers will be playing on an NHL-sized rink for the first time since Jan. 5 at Minnesota State, Mankato, so Lucia took advantage of available ice time at Xcel Energy Center on Wednesday and Thursday to get his team acclimated to the change."

Did all teams get 2 practice sessions at the X???

Conspiracy!!! :D:D

Well, now, that will explain why the Goofs will be tired and uninspired!! I mean, what with all those guys gone for the WJT AND practicing twice on NHL ice!! :lol::D

Well, now, that will explain why the Goofs will be tired and uninspired!! I mean, what with all those guys gone for the WJT AND practicing twice on NHL ice!! :lol::D

Actually, when you think about it, there is a certain degree of advantage to it, yes, but not against the Sioux. The REA has an olympic sized sheet as well.