SiouxSports.com Forum

Tom Buning and Gene Taylor on KFGO Today

CDog

Don't know if this has been posted, but the two AD's are going to be on Ed Schultz radio show tomorrow. He said today that he's going to sit these two guys down and figure out what it takes to schedule a football game between the schools. Should be interesting.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to chuckle when Buning said that a potential game next year would be played in Fargo because that is what the past schedule of the series dictates, and Taylor replied with something to the effect of "They'll have to come here a couple of times before we go there."

According to Mr. Taylor, playing teams like Georgia Southern (3-8) would create just as much revenue and buzz as playing UND for the first time in 4 years. What a petty response that was. Plain stupid.

There are very few teams that would beat the buzz created by playing UND, I would say Appalachian State would be one--plus he would need to get them to come to Fargo, why would they come to Fargo when they have 50 teams within 3 states of them down there and all the D1-A

Anyone know what came out of this discussion?

Taylor made it known that many of his fans don't want NDSU to play UND, and it wouldn't be fair to his coaches to schedule only football and not the other sports. Now some bison fan (self described former player) on the air saying how much better they're rivalry is with SDSU. (Ed called him a big dumb bison football player) :glare:

Taylor made it known that many of his fans don't want NDSU to play UND, and it wouldn't be fair to his coaches to schedule only football and not the other sports. Now some bison fan (self described former player) on the air saying how much better they're rivalry is with SDSU. (Ed called him a big dumb bison football player) :glare:

How Ironic Schultz calling someone big and dumb. Pot to kettle pot to kettle.

According to Mr. Taylor, playing teams like Georgia Southern (3-8) would create just as much revenue and buzz as playing UND for the first time in 4 years. What a petty response that was. Plain stupid.

There are very few teams that would beat the buzz created by playing UND, I would say Appalachian State would be one--plus he would need to get them to come to Fargo, why would they come to Fargo when they have 50 teams within 3 states of them down there and all the D1-A

As a die-hard Bison hater, I would love to start the rivalry again.

On the other hand, I'm not surprised by Taylor's comments (especially about ticket sales if someone else was scheduled for Sept 1).

A few reasons why a game against us would not necessarily sell better than a game against other schools.

1. It's the first game of the year. Historically, NDSU has one of their biggest ticket sales games during the first week. Everyone wants to check out the team and they get a huge draw from students.

2. If NDSU can bring in a big name opponent (High FCS or mid-FBS) that would draw many fans due to the fact that the team is a perceived challenge. NDSU fans would be the "underdog" and they would show up hoping that they would win.

When it all comes down to it, "buzz" doesn't guarantee tickets. While a game with us would create tons of "buzz", I don't think that from a revenue standpoint, scheduling us would do a whole lot more for them financially.

Had to chuckle when Buning said that a potential game next year would be played in Fargo because that is what the past schedule of the series dictates, and Taylor replied with something to the effect of "They'll have to come here a couple of times before we go there."

Home and home or nothing.

Home and home or nothing.

UND already said nothing to a home and home offer a few years ago.

A UND game with NDSU doesn't mean as much as in the past. Mainly a game for North Dakota residents. Personally I'd rather drive the 480 miles to see Georgia Southern than see UND. Georgia Southern will be a good team again this year, as their one and done coach is gone. Let UND have a couple years to get their scholarships up, and then play the game.

It's plain and simple that there are a few avid bison fans and alums that are putting pressure on Taylor not to play UND. His most recent excuse is that the other coaches for the bison might get upset if the football team plays UND before they do. Let's see, a sold out Fargodome where you could get premium bucks for a ticket or a soccer game in front of 50 people or a baseball game in front of 700 people. I think if Taylor had to do it all over again, he wouldn't have made that silly remark. Eddy just mocked Taylor about using that excuse the whole show. I don't think that the other bison coaches would be upset if we played in football before them. Bunning even said that UND would play the bison in every sport next year, so that excuse does hold water water. All the bison have to do is drop valley city off the BB schedule and it's game on. I know amy is a little scared to play UND, but I don't blame her. Maybe the real truth is that they saw that we beat N. Iowa in FB and they are a little worried that the little old DII school would give them more that what they can handle. Come on Taylor, accept the challenge. And mav, if you are a avid bison fan, no way would you rather see the bison play Georgia Southern instead of UND. By saying that you just admitted to not being much of a bison fan. And the dome would sell out in a HURRY for that game. I want to hear Taylor next excuse why they don't want to play UND next year.

To all,

It just seems that we had this coming to us from the beginning of the whole transition when we chose to defer and many in ND doubted NDSU's ability to successfully transition. NDSU chose to take a risk and its paid off. Now the Sioux are taking the same risk and it to will pay off in the short future. Basically, NDSU needs UND as much as UND needs NDSU in sports - very little. So, lets move on with the petty bickering about a ND football game and work on making the Sioux as good as possible in the shortest period of time by trying to get on other teams schedules (e.g. Big 12, etc.) and develop our own tradition seperate from the constant comparison of our sister college in Fargo.

BobIwabuchiFan