SiouxSports.com Forum

Tom Buning and Gene Taylor on KFGO Today

CDog

I agree, when Taylor used the excuse that the other coachs would be mad it did come off sounding a little feeble. It's true they could play the Sioux in all sports next year if they wanted to. Therefore that excuse doesn't hold water. Believe me the other coachs wouldn't be telling Taylor to not play the Bison Sioux football game. Hopefully the other coachs would be more team players than that when it comes to doing whats best for the financial stability of their own athletic department. Also, I would think Taylor would be financially astute enough to not sacrifice the money that could be made on this game because a soccer coach didn't want the football team to play the Sioux before he did. They could double the price of that ticket and it would sell out the first day. I do believe they are a little spooked to play the Sioux right now. I think when the Sioux beat Northern Iowa last year it was like a wake up call to them. And that wake up call reminded them how good Sioux really were and reminded them of the domination we have had over them the last decade we played them. They are bascically afraid to play the Sioux because of the fear of losing. Let's get it on you big and powerful bison. Gosh the game would be on your turf. Oh that's right, we own the Fargodome. I almost forgot that. I'm sure you guys haven't forgot it though.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that most of you (including Eddie) missed Taylors point.

The point is that NDSU would NOT play us in 2008 (due to playoff ramifications and us not being a counter). So, to just have the game for the sake of playing then skip a year or more would be silly.

NDSU doesn't seem scared to play us nor should they be. While we have a good football team, they do too.

Regarding the comments of Taylor and the other sports. It's a little late in the game for UND and NDSU to start scheduling for all other sports. Usually schedulesd come out much in advance and to have our AD say something to the fact that we'd play them in all sports really isn't fair since it's not possible in several sports.

While we often accuse NDSU fans of having their green and gold glasses on we must also realize that most of us are doing the same thing.

Pot, kettle, kettle, pot.

And as a side note... Let's not shove down their throat our Womens basketball success... After all we know that the real sports that matters in mens bball and football. IMHO, the Bison men would wipe the floor with our mens team. So all of these comparisons between sports. Drop it. Just as we might beat their girls, they would kick our asses in other sports.

And mav, if you are a avid bison fan, no way would you rather see the bison play Georgia Southern instead of UND. By saying that you just admitted to not being much of a bison fan.

A UND doesn't do anything for Bison football until 2009. I am not an avid obsessed with the Sioux Bison fan. Playing Georgia Southern in FCS football is like playing the Yankees in baseball.

Bunning said a long time ago that UND would play the bison in any sport. I don't think the bison's BB schedule is set yet for next year, and even if it is I think that you could buy out the bison-valley city game for $45.00 and have a UND-bison game in front of a packed BSA. And you can't say that football and men's BB are the only two sports that matter. Look at the success of the bison women in the 80's and UND's success in the 90's and 00's in women's BB. ndsu tradition in men's BB is very minute, excluding a couple of upset wins the last couple of years. And UND's tradition used to be very strong but most people now are into our womens program much more. Let's not all forget about when the UND baseball beat the bison a few years ago and about five minutes after the game the bison coaches broke the two year contract to play UND. Nobody wants to remember that.

A UND doesn't do anything for Bison football until 2009. I am not an avid obsessed with the Sioux Bison fan. Playing Georgia Southern in FCS football is like playing the Yankees in baseball.

That has to be up for 'Stupid Post of the Year". The Yankees of D1-AA football....precious.

Even though they were 3-8 last year, they are going to be 'elite' this year, right?

That has to be up for 'Stupid Post of the Year". The Yankees of D1-AA football....precious.

Even though they were 3-8 last year, they are going to be 'elite' this year, right?

I believe BisonMav was trying to say that Georgia Southern is the most storied DI-AA football program in history with six (?) national championships...hence the Yankees of DI-AA.

BTW...I used DI-AA as Georgia Southern has been less than stellar in the FCS (to date).

I think that most of you (including Eddie) missed Taylors point.

The point is that NDSU would NOT play us in 2008 (due to playoff ramifications and us not being a counter). So, to just have the game for the sake of playing then skip a year or more would be silly.

NDSU doesn't seem scared to play us nor should they be. While we have a good football team, they do too.

Regarding the comments of Taylor and the other sports. It's a little late in the game for UND and NDSU to start scheduling for all other sports. Usually schedulesd come out much in advance and to have our AD say something to the fact that we'd play them in all sports really isn't fair since it's not possible in several sports.

While we often accuse NDSU fans of having their green and gold glasses on we must also realize that most of us are doing the same thing.

Pot, kettle, kettle, pot.

And as a side note... Let's not shove down their throat our Womens basketball success... After all we know that the real sports that matters in mens bball and football. IMHO, the Bison men would wipe the floor with our mens team. So all of these comparisons between sports. Drop it. Just as we might beat their girls, they would kick our asses in other sports.

Your points would be good ones if you weren't a bison fan posing as a sioux fan. I'll never understand why people do that.

I believe BisonMav was trying to say that Georgia Southern is the most storied DI-AA football program in history with six (?) national championships...hence the Yankees of DI-AA.

BTW...I used DI-AA as Georgia Southern has been less than stellar in the FCS (to date).

Thanks doc :silly:

I understand what they have done, I am familiar with the programs history. But, when NDSU plays them, nobody is thinking they are playing some legendary football team, the only people that have heard of them are mainstream football fans. Especially when they look at there record from last year, which most casual fans will do.

... Buning said that a potential game next year would be played in Fargo because that is what the past schedule of the series dictates, ...

Taylor replied with something to the effect of "They'll have to come here a couple of times before we go there."

PR point with the average North Dakotan: Buning.

Taylor made it known that many of his fans don't want NDSU to play UND, and it wouldn't be fair to his coaches to schedule only football and not the other sports.

Former UND AD Roger Thomas' reason for not playing NDSU in football:

The NCAA rulebook, namely the negative impact to UND's playoff chances (under the system in place in 2003).

"Hard and fast rules" or "hurt feelings of your non-revenue sport coaches".

Sound basis for decision made point: Roger Thomas.

And don't forget

Bunning even said that UND would play the bison in every sport next year,...
PR bonus point: Buning.

Former UND AD Roger Thomas' reason for not playing NDSU in football:

The NCAA rulebook, namely the negative impact to UND's playoff chances (under the system in place in 2003).

Hard and fast rules; hurt feelings of your non-revenue sport coaches.

Sound basis for decision made point: Roger Thomas.

And don't forget

PR bonus point: Buning.

What about all the other SPORTS then? I think the reason most Bison fans don't what to play UND anytime soon is the dribble found in some of these posts. These same posters were the ones predicting failure in which NDSU would come back begging to the NCC. They are also the ones that didn't want to play NDSU when we made our move. We made our move to DI successfully (in most peoples opinions) without UND (by their choice) and now UND can find their way without NDSU. There is very little financial gain to NDSU by playing UND. Good luck on your move.

What about all the other SPORTS then?

I'm not the expert in these matters, but I do believe some non-revenue sports did continue to play.

Then again, NDSU had DI scheduling requirements to meet during its transition that UND (at the time a DII) could not help with, correct?

I'm not the expert in these matters, but I do believe some non-revenue sports did continue to play.

Then again, NDSU had DI scheduling requirements to meet during its transition that UND (at the time a DII) could not help with, correct?

No - the only sport we played UND in was baseball in 2004/5 and I think (I don't know) they were told not to schedule UND anymore because UND wouldn't play us in any other sports. Most DI teams have some room for playing DII teams in most sports. I'm sure you'll find out all about the pain of scheduling as an independent in 2009, your first year in DI.

Once the games do start to happen again (looks like 2009, but there is still a very small chance), I say we just wipe the slate clean and approach each other as if we were 2 I-AA programs that had never met before.

In that case, home/home would be the only acceptable deal.

I do think that UND should play at Fargo first since we played at UND in 2003. I don't think that's too much to ask.

To all,

It just seems that we had this coming to us from the beginning of the whole transition when we chose to defer and many in ND doubted NDSU's ability to successfully transition. NDSU chose to take a risk and its paid off. Now the Sioux are taking the same risk and it to will pay off in the short future. Basically, NDSU needs UND as much as UND needs NDSU in sports - very little. So, lets move on with the petty bickering about a ND football game and work on making the Sioux as good as possible in the shortest period of time by trying to get on other teams schedules (e.g. Big 12, etc.) and develop our own tradition seperate from the constant comparison of our sister college in Fargo.

BobIwabuchiFan

I really agree with you BIF How sweet it will be when we are voted into the Big Sky conference with USD :silly::ohmy::lol:

I see Georgia Southern is not currently a fully funded 63 scholarship team thanks to sanctions by the NCAA. They have been penalized nine scholarships...New York Yankees indeed.

NCAA Division I Academic Performance Program

So that takes them out of the equation. No way would NDSU schedule someone that has officially run afoul of the ncaa. So that leaves 5 possible teams, one of which that can sell out the fargodome, UND, and four that would get about 16,000.

So that takes them out of the equation. No way would NDSU schedule someone that has officially run afoul of the ncaa. So that leaves 5 possible teams, one of which that can sell out the fargodome, UND, and four that would get about 16,000.

Are we sure UND hasn't "officially run afoul of the ncaa"? :silly:

Why do we keep begging for this game? OK, so Roger Thomas forgot rule number 1 in sports: Don't give your opponents bulletin board matterial. Yea, he should have kept quiet but that's water over the dam. Now we should just follow through with Roger's statement and find other quality opponents. Begging for this game just gives NDSU a reason to stick our noses in it. I say move on, we don't need any one game that badly.

While I understand the whole "getting penalized for playing a transition school" argument that NDSU is using, I really would appreciate both sides to just quit bitching about the "he said this" and "you said that" crap of the past! WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ONE OF THE LONGEST AND GREATEST RIVALRIES IN ALL OF COLLEGE SPORTS HERE!!! LET'S DO WHAT WE NEED TO DO TO GET THIS RIVALRY GOING AGAIN!!!

Oh, and YES, UND SHOULD play in Fargo to re-start this all. After all, the Sioux football team is undefeated in the "SIOUX" Dome. :silly:

Why do we keep begging for this game? OK, so Roger Thomas forgot rule number 1 in sports: Don't give your opponents bulletin board matterial. Yea, he should have kept quiet but that's water over the dam. Now we should just follow through with Roger's statement and find other quality opponents. Begging for this game just gives NDSU a reason to stick our noses in it. I say move on, we don't need any one game that badly.

What started out as the new UND AD simply trying to get a game scheduled has been spun to the point that UND supporters now refer to it as begging for a game. It sounds as though (I didn't listen to the broadcast) Buning handled himself well, but I wonder if the whole thing hasn't degenerated into the perception of begging for the game by the public at large. Maybe I'm off, but I think only Eddie benefits from that interview.