SiouxSports.com Forum

Pulling Grieco

Fetch

How many of the other players had the opportunity to stop that rush that resulted in the 2nd goal on Greico.

So you pull the goalie who's been playing darned well.

The third goal was not Lammy's fault at all. So you can't say that pulling Greico was bad for the team, but I think it was unfair to the young goalie.

It was obviously planned by the sioux to pull him after a couple goals. As soon as the goal went in lammy got out on the ice instantly and was putting on his helmet. The lamp lit and lammy was on the ice in a second.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I was at a Canadian hockey game last night when the fans were booing our own goalie. I was pleased to see that Phil looked pretty damn determined when he was put in net. In his warm-up he sized up the net a little more than usual and it looked like he was going to be damned if he let anymore go over his shoulder. I love the fact that he is a butterfly style goalie and not some big old Gomer who just takes up space. He is definitely disadvantaged in size.

I think the issue goes far beyond the net. The teams back check definitely is lacking. Too many odd man rushes that result in shots. The defense seems to be a step behind and sometimes it looks like they just plain give up or are too tired. I have seen Chorney do this a few times. Since when has it been alright to allow someone to hang around your net and get a rebound? The D need to step up the physical play in front of the net as well. If they touch the puck in front of our net they should either be tied up on their ass. Fighting Sioux hockey is supposed to be fast and hard hitting apparently we dropped the hitting off at the door early in the year. It is slowly getting better.

I

I agree also because if I was Greico I wouldnt put up with Hakstols crap much longer and we probably wont be seeing him in a sioux jersey next year. Kind of like the Bishop incident, I would leave too if Hakstol kept playin Forney over me.

Sorry, but if a kid wants to leave because the coach pulled him in one game then don't let the door kick you in the ass. I don't think people give Grieco enough credit. He's a big boy. The coaches obviously saw something that made them make the decision to pull him. A good athlete will accept a coaches decision like a man and come back the next time stronger than before. Grieco will be fine.

I agree, things look ugly right now but we are only halfway through the WCHA season. Plenty of time left to get on a roll.

Both of these guys show signs that they can be good goalies however, they both seem to give up the rebound. That's where our D needs to step up and they simply haven't been doing that. When you looked at this roster with the draft picks and all did you think our goalies were going to be the benchmark of the team-- Phil is average at best, Greico could be good but he's unproven. I think the Defense hasn't helped them out enough by clearing the puck.

I booed both & thought Greico deserved better

Your weren't the only one that did, there were more than 3,500 people booing has Brad suggested. I thought it was a piss poor thing to do your goalie is playing good a positive and he is yanked after a ringer goal is scored on him. That deserves a booing.

I was thinking Why does Grieco get a chance to go the distance, does this mean Phil get yanked after another sub par night?

I was at the game and was flat out embarassed to be a sioux fan. Not because they cant score a goal, not because they are the first team ever to be swept by Anchorago and MTU in the same season and not because of any particular player. I was embarassed to be associated with every fan in that building who booed when Lamoureux was put in the game. Whether you are booing the coach's decision or not, it comes off as though you are booing Lamoureux and that is a tasteless thing to do. Despite the beliefs of many of the idiots that go to the game Phil Lamoureux is infact human. Your job as a fan is not to question the coaches every move (he knows more than any fans could dream of), or to try to coach the players on the ice by trying to tell them what to do. They cant hear you and you are wrong 99% of the time. Besides these things, the last thing anyone should consider doing is booing your own goalie, a guy that grew up in this town and wants worse than anybody to succeed. Your job as a fan is to go to the game, and cheer on your team no matter who is playing or how well they are playing. If your going to boo anybody, it should be the opposing team. I found it ironic that of all the little kids that attend games, the most immature people in the arena are those adults that feel the need to critique players every move out loud and boo your own players. I even saw one guy dressed in full Sioux apparel stand and cheer when MTU scored their third goal on Phil. If you were one of those people, you need to seriously reconsider your motives. If you think you are doing the right thing, do us all a favor and stay at home.

Who doesn't deserve better on the team? Grieco deserved a better fate last night in goal. Oshie deserved more than the 2 goals he scored last night. Duncan and Miller deserved more last night. Phil has deserved more throughout the entire year. I thought Radke deserved more last night. I thought Vandevelde and Kozek deserved more last night too.

You could go on all damn night about each and every single player on this team and come up with at least one instance where they deserved better throughout this year I bet. And where does it get you? No where. Just because you earn something and deserve more, doesn't mean you get it. You go out and you take it from someone. Our losses will still be losses at the end of the day. But it makes people on here "happier" to openly bash and be critical of player's on here. I say that's just plain-old chicken $hit. These player's don't get paid by us. These player's are here voluntarily. They are here because of the tradition, the fans, the arena, etc... No one asks you to go to the games. No one asks you to give money to the university. You do it voluntarily. These player's sacrifice much, much more than anyone can imagine I would believe. Give them a break. When player's start getting paid to play here, then you can complain. Until then, settle down. Or go watch the Minnesota Wild. Or just don't go to the games anymore. Give your tickets to someone who will enjoy watching the game. After all, it's still just a game at this level.

Finally, I'm as pissed off as anybody on this board about where the level of our hockey team is at right now. But to see so many threads on here bashing a player or players is just rediculous. As someone suggested in a different thread, if you don't like how a player is playing or feel he is doing something wrong, give him a call. Send him an email. Call Coach Hakstol and tell him you would like to give <insert player> your 2 cents about his play. I've seen it done in public already this year. If you have a problem with a player, go to the root of the problem, the player itself. Not some internet message board.

I was at the game and was flat out embarassed to be a sioux fan. Not because they cant score a goal, not because they are the first team ever to be swept by Anchorago and MTU in the same season and not because of any particular player. I was embarassed to be associated with every fan in that building who booed when Lamoureux was put in the game. Whether you are booing the coach's decision or not, it comes off as though you are booing Lamoureux and that is a tasteless thing to do. Despite the beliefs of many of the idiots that go to the game Phil Lamoureux is infact human. Your job as a fan is not to question the coaches every move (he knows more than any fans could dream of), or to try to coach the players on the ice by trying to tell them what to do. They cant hear you and you are wrong 99% of the time. Besides these things, the last thing anyone should consider doing is booing your own goalie, a guy that grew up in this town and wants worse than anybody to succeed. Your job as a fan is to go to the game, and cheer on your team no matter who is playing or how well they are playing. If your going to boo anybody, it should be the opposing team. I found it ironic that of all the little kids that attend games, the most immature people in the arena are those adults that feel the need to critique players every move out loud and boo your own players. I even saw one guy dressed in full Sioux apparel stand and cheer when MTU scored their third goal on Phil. If you were one of those people, you need to seriously reconsider your motives. If you think you are doing the right thing, do us all a favor and stay at home.

Knowsall knows all. You are dead on my Sioux fan brother. Booing the boys in green is NEVER acceptable, period. In fact, I propose it as a new Man/HockeyMom Law. Who's with me?

Let's put a lid on all the negative karma now. The turnaround starts with a good old fashioned butt kicking of Dartmouth. The bus is warming up. Come on NDH, tell us who's driving it to St. Louie.

Seriously I think it was a horrible move that backfired on him. The Sioux came right back and scored, everyone in the section was going what? When Phil let in number three the Sioux basically stopped skating again. I thought Tony made some great saves and looked like he did against the Huskies. I thought it was funny when Phil comes in the a good number of the crowd was booing. Ah, how they turn on you. :silly:

The reason he pulled grecio is because he saw what happened against UAA (back to back goals like 2 min apart) starting to happen again and instead of letting him sit in their and get shelled he thought he better take him out.

Let's put a lid on all the negative karma now. The turnaround starts with a good old fashioned butt kicking of Dartmouth. The bus is warming up. Come on NDH, tell us who's driving it to St. Louie.

I had a dream last night. Porter, Kaip, and Fabian are all driving the bus. Gonna take turns.

Oshie, Toews, Duncan, and Miller will be gassing 'er up, and Finley, Bina, and Lee will be keeping good rubber on the road.

Good thing everyone else is so solid in their jobs. Living in the glass houses. These are kids. And these are the Sioux. If you are not with 'em, you're against 'em. Plain and simple.

See you all in St. Louis. At least those of you who ain't jumping.

If there's people using profanity in front of young children or something like that, that's where I draw the line. Otherwise, people are dropping good money for their season tickets, and if they are frustrated and feel compelled to boo, so be it. If they choose to not boo, so be it. If they're frustrated with the team and choose to hop down to the organ bar for a drink (like me), so be it..(I'm sure I'll get called on the carpet by someone here for "not being a good fan", or "being there to be seen").

I guess the bottom line for me is that we're all frustrated here. But it would be great if we'd just stay out of each others business regarding how we handle it. Just my two cents.

Knowsall knows all. You are dead on my Sioux fan brother. Booing the boys in green is NEVER acceptable, period. In fact, I propose it as a new Man/HockeyMom Law. Who's with me?

I'm with ya here 7>4.

Saw that Dartmouth got beat by Harvard last night. Lets keep them (Dartmouth tourney in general) on a losing streak. Let the boys all enjoy their short Christmas break and then they can go out east ready to kick some hockey butt. And, while they are there, maybe show the Dartmouth AD that we are, THE GREEN, THE SIOUX, THE PROUD.

I had a dream last night. Porter, Kaip, and Fabian are all driving the bus. Gonna take turns.

Oshie, Toews, Duncan, and Miller will be gassing 'er up, and Finley, Bina, and Lee will be keeping good rubber on the road.

Good thing everyone else is so solid in their jobs. Living in the glass houses. These are kids. And these are the Sioux. If you are not with 'em, you're against 'em. Plain and simple.

That's what I'm talking about. Visions of sugar plums baby, visions of sugar plums!!!!!!!!!

Amen Brother.

As frustrating as this season is, win or lose, you always gotta go Sioux!

the vikings fan's booed Johnson today too - :silly:

I was just mad that he was not given a full game & thought he had not played that bad & I have been a Sioux Fan longer than most of you have been alive :( & any luck long after you have moved on :silly:

I see two goalies both struggling and a third goalie not even being given a chance to prove what he can or can't do. Play Walski... what's the worst that could happen? There's really nowhere to go but up at this point. He might play as poorly as both Lammy and Grieco have been playing for most of the year or he might be better. I seriously doubt he could do much worse. He must be in the doghouse or something to be treated as if he doesn't even exist when the other two are not exactly setting the world on fire.

I agree with you DaveK. What's the worse that could happen? Lose again? Give him a try. I thought he looked pretty good against UAA in November.

I agree that Walski should be given a chance but not for the same reason. Our goalie have not been as bad as everyone says. Grieco biggest problem is inexperience. He hasn't had much playing time at this level. He will get better at controlling rebounds as he plays more. It just takes time people. The ones that have been ripping on Phil should probably get the whole story first. He was on the pre-game show Fri and said his ankle still bothers him. He can tolerate it but he still feels it. It was said a few games ago that he had a grade 2 high ankle sprain. I had a similar sprain(same spot but mine was a grade 3) 4 yrs ago. I was still limping 2 months after and couldn't walk down a ramp 4 months later. I would say he has done extremely well considering. A Grade II (Second Degree) injury is more severe and indicates that the ligament has been more significantly damaged, but there is no significant instability. The ligaments are often partially torn.

I agree that Walski should be given a chance but not for the same reason. Our goalie have not been as bad as everyone says. Grieco biggest problem is inexperience. He hasn't had much playing time at this level. He will get better at controlling rebounds as he plays more. It just takes time people. The ones that have been ripping on Phil should probably get the whole story first. He was on the pre-game show Fri and said his ankle still bothers him. He can tolerate it but he still feels it. It was said a few games ago that he had a grade 2 high ankle sprain. I had a similar sprain(same spot but mine was a grade 3) 4 yrs ago. I was still limping 2 months after and couldn't walk down a ramp 4 months later. I would say he has done extremely well considering. A Grade II (Second Degree) injury is more severe and indicates that the ligament has been more significantly damaged, but there is no significant instability. The ligaments are often partially torn.

Ok so then the Coach shouldn't be playing Lammy every night when he's not 100%.

That's his decision to make. I just know how hard that injury is to deal with. I can do most everything now but I never did regain full range of motion.

By playing hurt he is not helping the team, you can't heal if your not resting the injuried ankle. I know that from my football field. The old saying goes if your hurt get off the field.

Like I said in my previous post, he still feels it. He didn't say hurt. I don't know him or anyone on the team personally. I'm just speaking from my experience with this injury and what I heard on the radio broadcast. As far as resting it, the more you baby it the longer it's going to take to heal. General exercise and/or physical therapy aren't the same as playing. You can't replicate the same movements. Recovery from this will hurt,you will feel it, and it will take time. My point was that people have all but called for his head without knowing what he was going through.

I questioned why Grieco was pulled on Saturday. The second goal on Saturday was not his fault.

I now realize he was not pulled because of his play.

I believe Anthony was pulled to wake up and shake up the team.

UND had a 17-6 shots advantage at one point.

After UND went down 2-1 and I looked at the scoreboard I saw Tech with a 19-17 shots advantage.

The team had fallen asleep in the second (a-a-a-again) and that was the alarm.