SiouxSports.com Forum

Pulling Grieco

Fetch

Ok so then the Coach shouldn't be playing Lammy every night when he's not 100%.

no, i dont play phil because he simply can win a game. is it all his fault..no way at all but sometimes we need a performance that is over the top and steal a game or 2 if we are not putting up 4-5 goals a game. thats not happening so who knows. just think grieco was not even given a fair shot saturday. hell, hak might as well told him in warm ups that if you give up 2 goals, you are done and phil is coming in. just the whole goalie situation is frusterating and i think we all feel it. a program like north dakota shouldnt have a problem like this so lets hope 1 of these goalies can step up asap after the holidays or go get another for next season. on the other hand, if we were scoring 4-5 goals a game, this wouldnt be a issue, but we are not so its fair game :silly:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, i dont play phil because he simply can win a game. is it all his fault..no way at all but sometimes we need a performance that is over the top and steal a game or 2 if we are not putting up 4-5 goals a game. thats not happening so who knows. just think grieco was not even given a fair shot saturday. hell, hak might as well told him in warm ups that if you give up 2 goals, you are done and phil is coming in. just the whole goalie situation is frusterating and i think we all feel it. a program like north dakota shouldnt have a problem like this so lets hope 1 of these goalies can step up asap after the holidays or go get another for next season. on the other hand, if we were scoring 4-5 goals a game, this wouldnt be a issue, but we are not so its fair game :silly:

I think that really sums it up. Well said.

Precisely. I don't think our D or our goaltender is playing especially poorly right now. We are usually getting beaten on deflections. We lack offense and we especially lack confidence. We aren't playing like we know we can overcome our opponents. We're continually pressing and holding our sticks too tight.

I have to say you have a valid point. The D just hasn't been there. You don't allow guys to sit in front of the net untouched then when the puck is in front allow then to continue to chop until the puck rolls in. The Mich Tech players should have been getting a good view of the roof of the Ralph. Other than Bina who I think has good defense mentality. You can see it. The others just need to watch him and learn.

You really can't just say it's one thing. This team has a lot of ... if's - If our D could defend in our end better and protect the goalie and drop guys with the puck once they hit the blue line get a little physical in front of the net, if the forwards wouldn't bunch up and spread out, we would create more oppertunity. We're making it far to easy to cover two guys, sometimes three with one defender. If someone would step up and be a sniper, or at least get more shots off in the zone - you can't stick handle it into the back of the net - fancy's doesn't always work, fire low on net for rebounds.

Hockey 101 we got to get back to it - talent, talent. That's what you hear lets get the skills honed.

If more of these things start to happen I believe it would be wild fire - One would feed off the other. The ODG (offense, defense, goaltending) would be clicken. I believe its in there.

I have to say you have a valid point. The D just hasn't been there. You don't allow guys to sit in front of the net untouched then when the puck is in front allow then to continue to chop until the puck rolls in. The Mich Tech players should have been getting a good view of the roof of the Ralph. Other than Bina who I think has good defense mentality. You can see it. The others just need to watch him and learn.

You really can't just say it's one thing. This team has a lot of ... if's - If our D could defend in our end better and protect the goalie and drop guys with the puck once they hit the blue line get a little physical in front of the net, if the forwards wouldn't bunch up and spread out, we would create more oppertunity. We're making it far to easy to cover two guys, sometimes three with one defender. If someone would step up and be a sniper, or at least get more shots off in the zone - you can't stick handle it into the back of the net - fancy's doesn't always work, fire low on net for rebounds.

Hockey 101 we got to get back to it - talent, talent. That's what you hear lets get the skills honed.

If more of these things start to happen I believe it would be wild fire - One would feed off the other. The ODG (offense, defense, goaltending) would be clicken. I believe its in there.

How do you agree with me and then, in the second sentence, disagree with me? :silly:

I agree we should be doing a better job of keeping the front of the net clear, but that "problem" only accounted for one of the three MTU goals on Saturday (their first goal). The others were because of whiffed swats at the puck (the second goal. Genoway and Jones were both able to get decent position on the passes, but just flat out missed) and the third was a lucky deflection off of a player (not a skate nor a stick IIRC).

We have been allowing players to crash our net and we don't return the favor. I really think our physicality is down because of the team's lack of confidence in the special teams. Smaby, Greene, Jones, Hale, Schneider, Commodore, and so on hit with wild abandon because they knew that, if they got called for a penalty, the PK team would be able to keep it reasonably close without them on the ice. Our PK may not be statistically the worst, but I really do believe we are the worst in the WCHA at least in terms of confidence.

I guess that's my armchair coach perspective on that. :silly:

I wouldn't be suprized at all if UND has a new goalie that starts with the beginning of the new semester.

Of course this is ALL speculation on my part, and I practically know nothing.

*looks around* It's different in here. I'd like a girl instead of a man that shows I'm online.....and one wearing a green t-shirt instead of a Wisconsin Badgers one.

That is where one gets paid well to watch TV and look at the internet.

ON that note, I came across the Board Stats for this site and saw this one Most users ever online was 260 on Sep 11 2006, 09:23 AM C'MON on sioux fans, thats a Monday morning, bosses arent paying you to sit on Siouxsports

I think that stat is wrong. I think it used to be like 330 when we played Denver for the title.

Or perhaps UND being short one goalie??

The thought of that scares me. There have been lots of vicious rumors floating about DISCLAIMER: Not saying any of these are remotely true. I wouldn't say they were rumors if they had truth to them).

EDIT: The rumor regarding Phil Lamoureux has been removed per a thoughtful request. It was a rumor and the justification given to me was just. I apologize if this was out of line.

The most likely to leave would be Anthony Grieco. He's 18 now. He has 3 years of junior eligibility left and 3 years of NCAA eligibility left (if he chose to continue that route). What he DOES have is Major Junior interest. St. Mike's of the OHL (IIRC) owns his rights. I don't know how active they are with Tony, but MJ defections during the season is a statistic on the rise. Jason Bailey (Michigan) and Nigel Williams (UW) and I think one other already left school for MJ. It would be a shame to see Tony leave as well.

The thought of that scares me. There have been lots of vicious rumors floating about DISCLAIMER: Not saying any of these are remotely true. I wouldn't say they were rumors if they had truth to them).

Phil Lamoureux's folks not being happy with Phil's playing time leading up to this year...

This one seems unlikely. Phil has nowhere to go really. He could quit, sure, but I don't think he'd transfer just for one year.

The most likely to leave would be Anthony Grieco. He's 18 now. He has 3 years of junior eligibility left and 3 years of NCAA eligibility left (if he chose to continue that route). What he DOES have is Major Junior interest. St. Mike's of the OHL (IIRC) owns his rights. I don't know how active they are with Tony, but MJ defections during the season is a statistic on the rise. Jason Bailey (Michigan) and Nigel Williams (UW) and I think one other already left school for MJ. It would be a shame to see Tony leave as well.

I hope that is not true, however, based on the last game, that may have swayed Grieco's mind. Personally, I don't know why he got pulled. The second goal went off of the guys skate. Most NHL refs would not have allowed that goal since it was clearly off of the skate and the player made no attempt to knock it in with his stick.

I don't know why Mr Lamoureux would have problems with how Phil has been treated. He did nothing last year to prove that he deserved more ice time. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't he around .500 last year?

All I know is when Grieco goes down he does not get moved. There are guys in the NHL that could put both the puck and Phil into the top corner of the net. 153 Ibs. Come on! What's with that!

He has had 2.5 years to put some meat on his bones and he has done nothing. At least show some committment to the program by putting on some muscle.

I hope that is not true, however, based on the last game, that may have swayed Grieco's mind. Personally, I don't know why he got pulled.

You don't? I do.

After the second MTU goal, Hakstol's decision to pull Grieco and replace him with junior Philippe Lamoureux was booed by Sioux fans. Hakstol said he gave Grieco the start to help spark the team, but he was afraid that if the Sioux gave up another quick goal or two, coming back would be difficult.

"I'm proud of the way Anthony played," the coach said. "I'm proud of how he battled. I told him that when he came off. He earned himself another start tonight. He'll get that start early in the new year."

I understand that some won't agree with Hakstol's reasoning, but he did explain why he did it.

Edited by PCM

I still believe Greico will be this team's starting goaltender, perhaps sooner than later. His rebound control is not that bad for a freshman and even the NHL leader Huet relies on his D to clear rebounds in front of him rather than watching the other team get them unchallenged. Did the goalie switch light a spark under the team? I would offer that it was merely a little bit of fizzle as it was gone immediately after the second goal. It seems like only half a dozen of the current players are interested in giving the coaches a 60 minute effort.

I don't know why Mr Lamoureux would have problems with how Phil has been treated. He did nothing last year to prove that he deserved more ice time. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't he around .500 last year?

This has been discussed on here over and over. In case you have forgotten, the team was probably averaging 2 goals a game for Phil last year when he started in net. They could usually score early and often when Parise was in net, but for some reason never when Phil was in net. Hakstol couldn't even explain it.

His stat's last year:

Win-Lose Record: 5-7-0

Save Percentage: .911

Goals Against: 2.61

Those stats are actually really good if you ask me. If I sat down at the beginning of the year as coach of a hockey team and someone told me that my goalie would have those kind of numbers and still not have a winning record, I would laugh in their face. The rest of the team has to do their part, that's why it's a team effort. It's a complex puzzle to me. Without that certain piece of the puzzle, the rest will never fall into place.