SiouxSports.com Forum

Pulling Grieco

Fetch

except of course not calling an automatic penalty shot for a player freezing the puck in the crease with 1.5 seconds left in the game when we were down 1 goal.

Oh, I didn't realize that that was what was going on at the end of the game. The Ralph really should show replays. I know that they're not allowed to, but they should. I know that's a poor argument for replays, but that's how I'm rollin this morning. Well, I take back what I said about Shepherd then.

Oh yeah,,,, were the Sioux just swept this weekend by Michegan Tech? WT*

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pulling him was a fkn joke................hak has no confidence at all in ANY of the goilaes. he was just waiting for a tiny reason to pull grieco. this goalie situation is a damn joke. go out and recruit a bad azz goalie if these guys are not the answer.................

pulling him was a fkn joke................hak has no confidence at all in ANY of the goilaes. he was just waiting for a tiny reason to pull grieco. this goalie situation is a damn joke. go out and recruit a bad azz goalie if these guys are not the answer.................

Can say its not going to happen but it should, we are stuck with the same goalie next season.

Grieco made the first save. The goal was a direct result of nobody clearing the guy standing all-alone in front of the net.

I agree. But I don't think that shot was a very difficult one to control the rebound on. For how well we were playing up to that point, to get the lead for the first time in forever, and have a goal like that go in, it just was a momentum-killer IMO.

I agree. But I don't think that shot was a very difficult one to control the rebound on. For how well we were playing up to that point, to get the lead for the first time in forever, and have a goal like that go in, it just was a momentum-killer IMO.

Bigger momentum killer is when you starting goaltender is pulled after playing well only to have your replacement booed by the home crowd.

No disputing the effect on momentum here. I just wish the team would help the goalies out a little more. They've got a tough enough job as it is, and when the goalie's the only defender down low it gets that much more difficult.

Maybe Grieco should have "controlled" his rebound out to the circles...that's where is defenders were :silly:

except of course not calling an automatic penalty shot for a player freezing the puck in the crease with 1.5 seconds left in the game when we were down 1 goal.

Just listening to the radio commentary after the game when I got to my car, I thought one of our radio guys said something like Shepherd said the guy didn't freeze the puck with his hand while in the crease, but that the puck was actually in between the MTU's player's legs. Anyone else hear that?

Just listening to the radio commentary after the game when I got to my car, I thought one of our radio guys said something like Shepherd said the guy didn't freeze the puck with his hand while in the crease, but that the puck was actually in between the MTU's player's legs. Anyone else hear that?

Shepherd's explanation to Hak was that another MTU player touched it prior to Helminen freezing it in the crease, therefore no penalty shot. I don't know where that is in the rule book, but it appears he's taking a Don Adam approach to making up rules as he goes.

The video review was to get the time on the clock right, although when junior saw it he had just enough time to make up some bs as to why he hadn't called a penalty shot.

At any rate, a perfect overhead video to show at future coach's clinics as to what constitutes a penalty shot call.

Players in the Sioux bench had some choice words for little Shep during the bench explanation, clearly picked up by a live mic on TV. F'n weanie I think it was.

I stuck around for a couple minutes after the game so I didn't hear the start of the post game show.

However at the end it sounded like they thought it was freezing the puck in the crease, a penalty shot. I only saw the play on the jumbotron and I could have missed the puck between the legs I guess.

That being said then IF he didn't freeze it, then why did Sheppard blow the whistle? He can't have it both ways, either the puck was frozen in which case it's a penalty shot, or the whistle shouldn't have been blown, right?

How much time was left when the MSU player intentionally dislodged the net. If that was within the last two minutes that also should have been a penalty shot. Of course none of the three stoodges out there even saw something that was clear as a bell to the other 11,500 people in the building.

Shepherd's explanation to Hak was that another MTU player touched it prior to Helminen freezing it in the crease, therefore no penalty shot. I don't know where that is in the rule book, but it appears he's taking a Don Adam approach to making up rules as he goes.

Of course that's BS because if they had the control of the puck necessitating a stoppage in play then they would have enough control to get the puck out of the crease right?

I stuck around for a couple minutes after the game so I didn't hear the start of the post game show.

However at the end it sounded like they thought it was freezing the puck in the crease, a penalty shot. I only saw the play on the jumbotron and I could have missed the puck between the legs I guess.

That being said then IF he didn't freeze it, then why did Sheppard blow the whistle? He can't have it both ways, either the puck was frozen in which case it's a penalty shot, or the whistle shouldn't have been blown, right?

How much time was left when the MSU player intentionally dislodged the net. If that was within the last two minutes that also should have been a penalty shot. Of course none of the three stoodges out there even saw something that was clear as a bell to the other 11,500 people in the building.

That should have been two penalty shots. It was blatant kicking the net off twice by MTU in the last period, the touching/grabbing of the puck in the crease is supposed to be an automatic penalty shot, irrelevant if the puck was touch by another player, if you touch the puck with your hand and your not the goalie in the blue paint its penalty and I don't think it matters if another player touched it first.

Its apparent that Sheppard doesn't want to make a call that affects the outcome of a game. Not doing your job the way its supposed to is the same thing.

I couldn't make myself turn on the post game, I just wanted it to be over. I'm glad that I didn't realize until this morning that the Sioux may have been entitled to a penalty shot last night. I was so disgusted with last night's (actually all of last month) game, that I caught myself shaking my head about every 5 minutes from when the game ended until about 2 am last night. If I had known of the once again not called penalty shot last night, it might have been more than I could take.

Now I've got to go back to my previous post, and delete the part of the post where I was patting Shepherd on his back.

Now I've got to go back to my previous post, and delete the part of the post where I was patting Shepherd on his back.

Sheppard blew this weekend, he missed some really key calls. The high stick on a goal on Friday night was also big too.

Its apparent that Sheppard doesn't want to make a call that affects the outcome of a game. Not doing your job the way its supposed to is the same thing.

He sure doesn't have a problem "reffing the scoreboard" on most nights during the first 58 minutes of a game! :silly:

Players in the Sioux bench had some choice words for little Shep during the bench explanation, clearly picked up by a live mic on TV. F'n weanie I think it was.

It was clear as a bell on the webcast, but I don't think we can say definitively WHO said it. It may have been fans we heard, b/c I'm pretty sure there were voices from the stands with adjectives for the ref too ....

This team has been blessed over the last three years. Meaning they always had Parise to bail them out. How many games were won only because he was between the pipes. Now we have goalies that are not has good and this team needs to realize it. They need to step up the play because the goalies we have are not going to win the game for us.

What about Walski. Why do we not het a shot at seeing him play. I think Hak needs to give him a shot. YOu never know he could be great. He played well in high school and he might be the answer to the goalie problems. I mean, if he played whats the worst that is going to happen, he will play bad and get pulled.

I agree with AZ, the coaching staff needs to get out there and recruit a goalie to come in that is bad ass. Maybe even for next year, he can come in take over someones spot. Until then Hak needs to find a way to rebound the rest of the season

I agree with AZ, the coaching staff needs to get out there and recruit a goalie to come in that is bad ass. Maybe even for next year, he can come in take over someones spot. Until then Hak needs to find a way to rebound the rest of the season

Great post and I agree with you.

I agree also because if I was Greico I wouldnt put up with Hakstols crap much longer and we probably wont be seeing him in a sioux jersey next year. Kind of like the Bishop incident, I would leave too if Hakstol kept playin Forney over me.

I heard that too. I hope Grieco stays he has a lot of potential and I like having a bigger goalie too to cover more net.

So Hak pulls Grieco for Lammy. I saw Lammy make a few key saves. I also saw Lammy clear a puck to a MTU defenseman who took an immediate shot, instead of clearing it to the corner. As a result, the Sioux were unable to clear their zone and MTU kept on the pressure. Then later, the goal. A double-tip on a shot from the blue line. Lammy was playing the first tip and was moving to the right when the second redirected it into basically an empty net. Is that Lammy's fault??? I'm not sure...

Here's what I do know...the Sioux have, for all practical purposes, stopped being physical. Example: The puck is in the Sioux end and an MTU player has the puck, being shadowed closely by Jones as they wind around the back of the net. Jones attempts a stick-check but fails. The puck is centered, but no shot is made. MTU maintained puck possession for a time afterward and continued pressure. In the old days, Jones (or some other defenseman) would have placed a good body check on the MTU player or the MTU guy would have been met by the weakside defensive player as he rounded the net. Not now. What has happened to the physical aspect of Sioux Hockey?:silly:

Yeah, because we intentionally recruit non bad ass goalies on purpose? The coaching staff must have missed the "ass" part when evaluating Grieco and got a guy that was just "bad." :silly:

It's easier said than done; and who's to say the same people who made the decision to bring Grieco in won't mis-evaluate someone else (not implying Grieco was mis-evaluated). I seem to remember people clamoring for Grieco early in the season, and now that we've got a little taste - not even a significant sampling - of what he can do AS A FRESHMAN we want another guy. Let the kid play with a team in front of him that gives a damn and the goaltending situation may not look as bad as it seems right now.

Great post and I agree with you.

I heard that too. I hope Grieco stays he has a lot of potential and I like having a bigger goalie too to cover more net.

Goon, I'm having trouble understanding where you stand. Do you think they should recruit another goalie for the merry-go-round and give Grieco thoughts about leaving the program or should they stand pat with Grieco's potential?

Goon, I'm having trouble understanding where you stand. Do you think they should recruit another goalie for the merry-go-round and give Grieco thoughts about leaving the program or should they stand pat with Grieco's potential?

I think Grieco should be given a chance to see what he can do since he is young and I think he has shown good promise. The Sioux need two good goalies anyways. Jordan Parise first year turned out to be his elevation to the starting job. I do blieve the Sioux coaches need to recruit another goalie for next season, if not for the future, maybe someone to split time with Grieco or Phil next season. Phil's done after next season and it doesn't hurt to plan for the future.

I think Grieco should be given a chance to see what he can do since he is young and I think he has shown good promise. The Sioux need two good goalies anyways. Jordan Parise first year turned out to be his elevation to the starting job. I do blieve the Sioux coaches need to recruit another goalie for next season, if not for the future, maybe someone to split time with Grieco or Phil next season. Phil's done after next season and it doesn't hurt to plan for the future.

Gotcha - thanks!