SiouxSports.com Forum

Dartmouth joins the anti-Sioux crusade

PCM

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dartmouth came up with a new slogan much like the 'Force of the North' campaign that the University of North Dakota has used this season. I heard that they're going to announce it this coming weekend. I think it's not only fitting, but also very catchy.

Dartmouth: Stupid is as stupid does.

Dartmouth came up with a new slogan much like the 'Force of the North' campaign that the University of North Dakota has used this season. I heard that they're going to announce it this coming weekend. I think it's not only fitting, but also very catchy.

Dartmouth: Stupid is as stupid does.

YOU TELL'EM HOCKEYMON

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973

The Colorado Springs paper had a blurb in today's paper under the heading SIOUX SEND MESSAGE. It stated that the announcement made before each game at The Ralph honoring the Sioux culture and heritage "appears to counter" Harper's allegations that use of the Fighting Sioux nickname is offensive and wrong. It also stated that the message earned a standing ovation both nights.

I think it is a great idea to have visiting teams read the same announcement before every game. I'd like to hear the response as to why they would refuse. In fact, wouldn't their refusal promote the hostile and abusive environment they claim exists by use of the name?

The Colorado Springs paper had a blurb in today's paper under the heading SIOUX SEND MESSAGE. It stated that the announcement made before each game at The Ralph honoring the Sioux culture and heritage "appears to counter" Harper's allegations that use of the Fighting Sioux nickname is offensive and wrong. It also stated that the message earned a standing ovation both nights.

I think it is a great idea to have visiting teams read the same announcement before every game. I'd like to hear the response as to why they would refuse. In fact, wouldn't their refusal promote the hostile and abusive environment they claim exists by use of the name?

It's ok to be hostile and abusive to UND, UND alumni, and students; but not to native americans. :D

All I can say is "uff da"

Biography of Governor Hoeven

John Hoeven was born in Bismarck, North Dakota. He earned a bachelor's degree from Dartmouth College in 1979 and a master's degree in business administration from Northwestern University in 1981.
At least he wised up and left Dartmouth to get his master's.

On second thought I will say more.

If the NCAA had stayed out of this in the first place, people wouldn't have even realized they were in "pain" over any of this. Almost like going to work and having everyone tell you that you don't look like you feel well, until you begin to actually feel sick.

I have also heard some of the Sioux point out that it hasn't been "Sioux" Indians that have been vocal about a name change, but it has been Indians who belong to other tribes. Could this be because those tribes don't like that the "Sioux" are getting all of the attention? After all, we do feel that we are doing what we can to honor the Sioux. Much like a child being named after a special uncle or grandfather. We wouldn't have chosen the Sioux if we had not wanted it to be an honor.

A couple links worth checking out.

here

and

here

Second link is a petition that is, theoretically, done in support. It is clear by reading the signatures and comments that Dartmouth is out of touch with any reasonable understanding of those in favor of the Sioux name and those opposed to the name. Hopefully, we are well represented and can cheer the Sioux on in a way that expresses our respect for the name and what it stands for... as we roll to a 7-1 victory.

It is common practice in the world of college sports for one team to be compensated financially for bringing thier team to a tournament or even just a regular game. For example, the Bison were paid to play the University of Minnesota Gopher football team,in that case,for lack of better words, paid to go to minneapolis and lose. Not lose in throw the game but lose as in we (UM) know we can beat you. Now in this case ,of the UND hockey team going to play in Dartmouth's tournament,we were no doubt compensated to come there and sell tickets. I wonder if the Dartmouth athletic director will disclose how much she paid the UND hockey team to come there. Probably not, it would just make her look like an even bigger idiot!

What we're missing here is really a key point:

Dartmouth changed their "Indians" moniker assumably to address the problem of race on their campus.

What'd they get for their troubles?

A) Teams and fans still think of themselves as the "Indians".

B) Race relations don't seem to have improved in 30 years on their campus.

Observation of reality and net result:

Changing a moniker was a "feel-good" solution.

Changing a moniker was bankrupt at addressing the real issues.

Dartmouth has yet to address their real issues (but boy do they sure feel good about themselves).

What we're missing here is really a key point:

Dartmouth changed their "Indians" moniker assumably to address the problem of race on their campus.

What'd they get for their troubles?

A) Teams and fans still think of themselves as the "Indians".

B) Race relations don't seem to have improved in 30 years on their campus.

Observation of reality and net result:

Changing a moniker was a "feel-good" solution.

Changing a moniker was bankrupt at addressing the real issues.

Dartmouth has yet to address their real issues (but boy do they sure feel good about themselves).

We could actually learn from Dartmouth. Those who want UND to lose the Sioux name need to take a hard look at what is going on at that campus. Has their name change (or lack of a name) done anything to improve racial tension? No, it appears to have only gotten worse. Could this happen at UND? I would hope not, but only history will show us. History that is still in our future.

If you search enough, you will find that

1. their cheerleaders used to dress in Indian costumes

2. they had an Indian cheer called

All I can say is "uff da"

Biography of Governor Hoeven

At least he wised up and left Dartmouth to get his master's.

On second thought I will say more.

If the NCAA had stayed out of this in the first place, people wouldn't have even realized they were in "pain" over any of this. Almost like going to work and having everyone tell you that you don't look like you feel well, until you begin to actually feel sick.

I have also heard some of the Sioux point out that it hasn't been "Sioux" Indians that have been vocal about a name change, but it has been Indians who belong to other tribes. Could this be because those tribes don't like that the "Sioux" are getting all of the attention? After all, we do feel that we are doing what we can to honor the Sioux. Much like a child being named after a special uncle or grandfather. We wouldn't have chosen the Sioux if we had not wanted it to be an honor.

Isn't the UNDIA vice president a Sioux? I thought I read that somewhere. I do know many who are anti nickname for UND are against all native american nickname/mascots for sports.

Reading the posted articles regarding Dartmouth's own treatment of Native Americans brings to mind, 'People in glass houses......' Rather than cleaning their own house, they attack ours with really no facts other than the usual PC rhetoric. Reminds me of the hyprocrisy displayed by other 'outraged' institutions of higher learning of which St. Cloud and Wisconsin immediately come to mind.

It's also noteworthy to mention the letters to the editor from two Darthmouth alumni, decades and thousands of miles apart.

Isn't the UNDIA vice president a Sioux? I thought I read that somewhere. I do know many who are anti nickname for UND are against all native american nickname/mascots for sports.
From UNDIA

BJ Rainbow UNDIA Vice President

Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa

Spirt Lake Dakota

Standing Rock Sioux

(but you knew that)

Dear Ms. Harper,

We, the fans, alumni, students, and players of the University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX Hockey Team, would like to apologize for the whupping that was put on the other teams in your hockey tournament...

You think it's too early to start a letter that contains this? :silly:

More from Dartmouth.

National news media cover Harper apology; College, UND reactions mixed

Reaction to this nationally publicized issue -- featured in The Boston Globe, Inside Higher Ed and the front page of ESPN.com -- has been mixed. Many students, faculty and alumni at Dartmouth and UND are both appreciative and critical of Harper's comments. Nonetheless, the overwhelmingly vocal feedback has criticized the letter.
"Hindsight is 20-20, and if I had to do it over again I probably would have wanted to be as strong and clear to [the Dartmouth] population as possible of how I felt," Harper said. "Maybe it would have been better to say how North Dakota deals with this is their own issue, and I'm addressing the folks here at Dartmouth about how we will deal with [our] issues."

"[buning]said that [uND] goes through this all the time, that people have even dropped them off of their schedules," Harper said. "We assured them that when they came [to Dartmouth] there would be no disrespect and we would run a first-class tournament."

Forgive me if I missed something, but who has dropped UND from their schedule because of the Fighting Sioux nickname?