SiouxSports.com Forum

Dartmouth joins the anti-Sioux crusade

PCM

Letter to the editor in the Forum yesterday. Anyone care to respond?

Identity theft at UND

By Elizabeth Sherman,

Published Sunday, December 10, 2006

Iam compelled to respond to University of North Dakota President Charles Kupchella and the Manchester, N.H., Union Leader

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The use of the Sioux name and mascot is beyond racist and offensive; it is a blatant plunderous act of identity theft of tribal people within the great Sioux Nation.
You may have luck suing the cities/towns that use "Sioux" as part of their name, since I doubt they have permission to do so.

American Indian people and their tribal schools have never called their teams such names as the Vikings or the Fighting Swedes. They simply would not because they are quite proud of their tribal heritage and respect other people

Dartmouth College rocked by racist controversies

The students complained that fraternity pledges interrupted a American Indian drumming circle on Columbus Day. They also opposed the scheduling of a Dec. 29 hockey game against the University of North Dakota, whose mascot is the ''Fighting Sioux.'' UND is one of several schools whose use of American Indian imagery has been labeled ''hostile and abusive'' by the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Did I miss something. I thought that the AD apologized for scheduling the Sioux prior to anyone even opposing the game. The article makes it sound like there was opposition and there is some sort of linkage between that other incidents.

The article makes it sound like there was opposition and there is some sort of linkage between that other incidents.

That's fairly typical ICT reporting. Objectivity isn't its strong suit, especially when it comes to the nicknames issue.

This column at FrontPageMag.com by Richard L. Cravatts, director of Boston University's Program in Book and Magazine Publishing at the Center for Professional Education, should be read in the context of what's happening at Dartmouth and what the NCAA has attempted to accomplish with its policy against American Indian nicknames, mascots and imagery. Anyone who believes in the right of free expression for all in a free society will understand that the issues surrounding the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo are directly related to the First Amendment.

Administrators at Johns Hopkins seemingly hold the notion that free speech is only good when it articulates politically correct, seemingly hate-free, views of protected victim or minority groups. But great legal minds, including such jurists as Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., have always been dedicated to the protection of unfettered speech, where the best ideas become clear through the utterance of weaker ones. For Holmes, the protection of free speech was of particular importance, not only to allow discourse of popular topics, but, even more importantly, in instances where unpopular or hateful speech is deemed offensive and unworthy of being heard. "If there is any principle of the Constitution," he observed, "that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other, it is the principle of free thought

• 4 weeks later...

AD Harper addresses coaching, fights and letters

"My personal opinion, why I wrote to The D, is that I think that if characterization of a race and anything is hurtful to a group of people, no matter what, then we should really not do it. You just try to be respectful of somebody's feelings." she said during the interview.
Once again, I must ask, how is UND doing anything that is hurtful to a race??

Thank goodness Josie isn't in charge of anything else. In her world, if anyone was going to be offended, nothing could move forward. Someone is always is going to be on the short end of the stick. Someone is always is going to be offended in some way, real or otherwise.

When asked if she would amend anything from her original statement, Harper said she would have made it clear that she was speaking only to Dartmouth. "I might have said a hundred times before I started after I wrote the note to The D 'I would like to address our community.'"