SiouxSports.com Forum

Dartmouth joins the anti-Sioux crusade

PCM

Heraldo article about Dartmouth situation.

Harper said she hopes her letter and the ensuing debate will lead to a more productive dialogue on the issue.

"Let's get it up front," she said. "Let's talk about it. Let's try to understand. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy. Maybe we need to talk about it a little more, but we need to talk about it respectfully."

I think she needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and consider what she just said. We need to talk about it respectfully. I'll agree with that. But does she consider that public "b!+@h slap" she swung at UND as carrying on a respectful conversation?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned similarly in this thread, but here goes again...

Name five, or even one substanitive item similar to Dartmouth's 6 'in-house' racial tensions about UND. I haven't seen one from any media/person/organization. Please start with something recent. Then remember to include the word, 'direct', in your thought process. I believe we've all been subject to inference and inflection before.

Every school/organization can choose to do what they want about their opinion. I only ask them to use their intellect they are supposed to have being members of higher education to take a closer look at a subjective issue. Where does the importance lie in this issue? Is it perception realized or perception aggravated?

Convenience and opportunity line the bed of this issue. Where will your own thoughts bring you as you move along with this?

I was kidding.....didn't mean any harm to all the grapplers out there. I apologize if you took offense to my sarcasm.

In the meantime, HockeyMom and Dan Gable will settle this dispute on the mat.

No not me, no offense taken. Not a wrestling fan at all. I have no urge to watch to sweaty guys roll around on a mat. Yuck.

In Doreen Yellow Bird's Column today she of course thinks she has another reason for UND to change its name, however in the 1970s Dartmouth changed its name and even still today their are students and alumni that won't drop it. The sad thing is that Ms. Yellow Bird thinks by changing the name all of UND's students and alumni are going to except it. Thats totally wrong right now the university has control of its logo and nickname but if the university drops it the "U" will also lose control of how the name "Fighting Sioux" is used. Back will come the racist T-Shirts, racist remarks as Dartmouth is still seeing today. THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO RACISM! We will always have people in this world that will be offended by another person, we always have bullies in our schools, and sorry to say it we will always have murders too. You, me, UND, NC$$, the State of ND, USA, and yes even Native American Tribes will never agree on every issue. Thats the world we live in we do not live in a Walgreens world!

No not me, no offense taken. Not a wrestling fan at all. I have no urge to watch to sweaty guys roll around on a mat. Yuck.

There is a bit more to it than "to sweaty guys roll around on a mat". It is too bad for the youth involved in the sport to put up with the attitude you have. Wrestling is one of the most challenging and rewarding sports for any young individual to be a part of.

There is a bit more to it than "to sweaty guys roll around on a mat". It is too bad for the youth involved in the sport to put up with the attitude you have. Wrestling is one of the most challenging and rewarding sports for any young individual to be a part of.

:silly: Yikes Dude Chill,

Not everyone has to like Wrestling, personally I hate basketball too, I think its a joke 6+ foot men are dunking a basket ball through a hoop, they should raise it another foot. I said I don't want to watch it, big deal I have NO URGE TO WATCH TOO PEOPLE ROLL AROUND ON A MAT, its a legitimate position. Nobody said that Wrestlers aren't in good shape, beause they are. This is a message board and I was joking around, back off.

Holy hostility, Batman!

I've been thinking.......Dartmouth, is awful close to Fartmouth. I would imagine that if someone farted near my mouth, I would most likely be able to taste it. I don't find that fun at all, because of this, the name Dartmouth offends me. I'm calling on Dartmouth to change their name. You know the old saying......"even if one person is offended"

:silly: Yikes Dude Chill,

Not everyone has to like Wrestling, personally I hate basketball too, I think its a joke 6+ foot men are dunking a basket ball through a hoop, they should raise it another foot. I said I don't want to watch it, big deal I have NO URGE TO WATCH TOO PEOPLE ROLL AROUND ON A MAT, its a legitimate position. Nobody said that Wrestlers aren't in good shape, beause they are. This is a message board and I was joking around, back off.

Its ok. I just wish it was still a part of UND athletics.

Its ok. I just wish it was still a part of UND athletics.

Most of us never wanted it to get cut, but it was a victim of being a sport that didn't make anymoney.

I was a swimming in the winter in HS and I see that is the first sport that gets cut when they start cutting sports. No one likes to watch that sport, I didn't when I was a swimmer. :silly:

Holy hostility, Batman!

I've been thinking.......Dartmouth, is awful close to Fartmouth. I would imagine that if someone farted near my mouth, I would most likely be able to taste it. I don't find that fun at all, because of this, the name Dartmouth offends me. I'm calling on Dartmouth to change their name. You know the old saying......"even if one person is offended"

Put me on the list too.

I also think that the UND Wrestling program was a victim of Title 9. Don't get me wrong, Title 9 has been incredible for women's sports, on the flip side it has also hurt men's sports. When you have a football team that has a gazillion athletes on it, it's hard to come up with an equal number of women athletes.

I also think that the UND Wrestling program was a victim of Title 9. Don't get me wrong, Title 9 has been incredible for women's sports, on the flip side it has also hurt men's sports. When you have a football team that has a gazillion athletes on it, it's hard to come up with an equal number of women athletes.

I think you are right, I believe it happened just as I got to UND in around the 1992 time frame.

Sometime in there.

More Darthmouth issues with Racism.

Just one exampleThis fall, American Indian students have protested Homecoming T-shirts showing a Holy Cross knight performing a sex act on an American Indian caricature. The Review also has come under fire for distributing T-shirts emblazoned with the Dartmouth Indian, the college's long-since discontinued mascot. There also has been outrage over an interrupted drumming circle, a formal with a "Cowboys and Indians" theme, and other events.

The incidents played out against an uncomfortable college history. Dartmouth graduated fewer than 20 American Indians during its first 200 years, the same time its catalog of Indian mascots -- featured on canes, sports uniforms, even songs and art depicting natives lapping rum -- increased.

I would say that Darthmouth needs to worry about their own house before they start commenting on other schools. Sounds almost like she is as bad as Saigo in SCSU.

:huh:

Seriously.

:glare:

I'm shocked that these incidents are still happening. It ain't right.....at all.

Question is, who"s campus is more hostile? It would appears its hands down Darthmouth and not the UND like their AD is claiming. This is shameful. I was thinking about sending the Dartmouth AD a letter of my own but I am not sure how to write a letter to a clueless pompus lvy leaguer.