SiouxSports.com Forum

Dartmouth joins the anti-Sioux crusade

PCM

Forgive me if I missed something, but who has dropped UND from their schedule because of the Fighting Sioux nickname?

While he is not saying that they dropped UND from their schedule, he seems to be implying that Harvard made a conscious effort not to schedule anyone on the list of 18 schools.

Ivy Apologizes for Hosting ‘Fighting Sioux’

“Our scheduling policy is in line with the [National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)]list of teams that they published a year ago with what they deemed to be offensive mascots,” said Chuck V. Sullivan, the director of athletic communications at Harvard. Sullivan said that no games have been scheduled with those teams since the list was published.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We are pleased that we have support nationally, even if we don't have it locally," said Monique Vondall-Rieke, director of the Native American Media Center at UND. "The majority of the Native American population are against [uND's nickname]."

Oh, really? Based on what study, poll, survey, etc.? I think this idiot is channeling "Dr. Stephanie".

So if Harvard should make it into the Big Dance, will they just forfeit to us? I'm sure that no Ivy League school has EVER discriminated against ANYONE based on religion, race, or sex. Good for them.

Notice how Harvard was good enough to come play us last season in the REA.

We got bumped from their wrestling schedule. :silly:

No, I'm pretty sure it was foosball. Although there were no hostile and abusive words or logos on the UND players' uniforms, the fact that the Sioux cheer team was going to make the trip was enough to deep-six the deal. :ohmy:

So that must have been in the 1980's or 1990's because I thought we dropped our wrestling program back about say 1994 or 1995, but I could be wrong.

I was kidding.....didn't mean any harm to all the grapplers out there. I apologize if you took offense to my sarcasm.

In the meantime, HockeyMom and Dan Gable will settle this dispute on the mat.

I'd like to see a letter from Tom Buning apologizing to UND fans, students, alumni, faculty and staff for scheduling a school that has a jackass as AD.

Our boys will issue a public statement when they beat Dartmouth's PC asses on the ice!!!!!!! :silly:

I shouldn't assume the hockey players feel the same as the AD (I'm positive they don't) but since she won't be on the ice.............

The "Dartmouth incident" will come and go. I think the larger issue of importance is the possible growth of schools who will refuse to schedule teams with Indian nicknames for non-conference games. Think of how easy these policies can be introduced and passed as sort of a "feel good" measure that has almost no real impact. To be honest, I'm surprised Dartmouth and other elitist Ivy schools didn't already have the policy. If there is substantial growth of schools enacting these policies, it will make it very difficult for UND to schedule non-conference games.

If there is substantial growth of schools enacting these policies, it will make it very difficult for UND to schedule non-conference games.

You mean the way Wisconsin, et al, have done? :silly: I don't understand why it's ok to schedule games with hostile and abusive athletic programs in your conference and it's not ok with athletic programs not in your conference? It either is always hostile and abusive or it ain't at all!!

What would those non-conference schools do if we met them in the post season such as at the Frozen Four?

Edited by Sioux-cia

The "Dartmouth incident" will come and go. I think the larger issue of importance is the possible growth of schools who will refuse to schedule teams with Indian nicknames for non-conference games. Think of how easy these policies can be introduced and passed as sort of a "feel good" measure that has almost no real impact. To be honest, I'm surprised Dartmouth and other elitist Ivy schools didn't already have the policy. If there is substantial growth of schools enacting these policies, it will make it very difficult for UND to schedule non-conference games.

Wouldn't that help make UND's "group boycott" case?

And what of the impacts to free speech on campus by such campus speech codes?

What would likely happen if schools did stop scheduling UND? What would UND's response be legally and otherwise? I am not certain that it is legal for schools to do this anyway but I am curious. I can just see some PC bastions doing this. Perhaps that is the next legal avenue that will need to be addressed should UND prevail in Court. I think legislation against this crap is positively necessary for just this reason.

What would likely happen if schools did stop scheduling UND? What would UND's response be legally and otherwise? I am not certain that it is legal for schools to do this anyway but I am curious. I can just see some PC bastions doing this. Perhaps that is the next legal avenue that will need to be addressed should UND prevail in Court. I think legislation against this crap is positively necessary for just this reason.

I can't think of any legal theory for action against a school who does not want to schedule non-conference games against UND based on its nickname. I think that would be up to each school and there would be nothing UND could do about it.

There are conference and NCAA championship rules that would force the school to forfeit the game if they refuse to play. That is why the schools that have enacted these policies have carved out conference and playoff exceptions. But there would be nothing to stop any school from refusing to schedule UND in a normal non-conference game.