SiouxSports.com Forum

Visiting Grand Forks

beersong

Hi

I need a little help from Sioux fans. I tried asking for help on USCHO, but no one replied (perhaps still dealing with those idiot Mankato fans).

There is a group of 8 of us UMD fans headed to Grand Forks this weekend. We were wondering where hockey fans gather before games? Somewhere we can get a beer for sure, and maybe something to eat. We can take a little friendly ribbing, so no worries there.

We are staying at the EconoLodge near the intersection of I29 and 2. Is that within walking distance of The Ralph?

We also were only able to score standing room tickets. It said on Ticketmaster that we had to be 21, so does that mean we stand in the bar at the end of the ice? Are there other places they allow you to stand?

We're looking for a fun weekend of hockey. Look for the guys in the maroon shirts!

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted I haven't really tooled around GF, since I left in '95, but I'll start. Whitey's in EGF is *always* a good bet, pre and post-game. There are also a few other bars around there that serve food, but somebody else may better able to give you the lowdown on them. Bonzer's in DT is/was always a good spot as well. Great sandwiches, beer and other essentials. I'm pretty sure Dagwood's down University will be another gathering spot. You may have to do some driving to get around town, but it's really not that tough. Closer to campus, there may still be a few places on 42nd Street, which is pretty close to campus and REA.

Walking distance? Probably depends on the weather more than anything else. However, the drive would be pretty quick, getting around is usually not a problem if you know the main drags. Definitely make an effort to hit the Red Pepper and have a "Grinder". :0

Dagwood's is always a good place to have a few beverages and some good food, Whitey's and Bonzer's are also good spots. Most of the places have a bus going to and from the game so you do not have to worry about parking. I would wish the Bulldogs good luck this weekend, but I really wouldn't mean it--but I do hope you have a good time at the Ralph--remember to head up to the North Bar between periods.

I think Dagwoods is pretty close to your hotel it is within walking distance. Also, there is a shuttle to and from Dagwoods to the Ralph so no drunk driving. Hope we get a sweep but you have a great time. You can stay up in the north bar of the ralph until 1:00 am. Home of the Siooooooooooooooooooooux!

Beersong,

I don't know how early you want to get to the arena before the game, but the doors at the REA generally open 90 minutes before the puck drops.

Since most seats (other than the students) don't typically fill up until warmups wind down, you would be able to grab a beverage at the one of the many beerstands and take it to just about any seat, plop down, enjoy the beer and the warmups. BTW, they do sell 32 ounce cups of beer for $5.50, which is a good deal.

If you are planning on taking a shuttle from Dagwood's, most often the shuttle won't leave the bar more than 30 minutes before the game starts, but the shuttles are very convenient.

If you haven't been to the REA previously, I would suggest getting there early because there is a lot to see.

I hope you enjoy your stay in GF.

You are actually staying right down the street from where I live. My suggestion is to park in the dirt parking lot by the student entrance if you drive to the arena. You enter it from 6th Ave., which is what you would drive down to get to the arena, and it's right next to a fraternity. I always park there since it's pretty close to the student doors, and as far as I know there are always spots open. Of course, you would probably have to walk around to the front of the building to get in.

You could probably walk there if you really wanted to, but it wouldn't very fun. I'd say it's somewhere between 10-15 blocks? I'm guessing.

If you're looking for stuff close by, Dagwood's, Sugars (bar at the Holiday Inn), Sensations (dance club), and the Campus Liquor Store are all a hop, skip, and a jump away from your hotel, and probably the nearest thing to REA. I will have no opinion of these places for another 2 months though. :0

There are always a few empty seats here and there if you want to try and get a seat after the game starts, but you won't find 8 seats together, except for maybe at the very top. Have fun! ;)

There were a lot of good comments. I feel these are worth adding:

Nobody mentioned yet that Dagwoods is smoke-free, which may be important to you one way or the other.

Any ticket holder can enter through the student doors (SW corner).

The best bet for more than two consecutive empty seats is high up, across from the press box (in the student section). With the exception of the student section, the entire arena is reserved seating. With that knowledge comes responsibility--please don't just plop down in the student section before it has a chance to fill up. :)

Having traveled to many WCHA away games, and especially in light of the bad experiences many on this board had in Mankato last weekend, I am curious to hear how you are treated. I like to think we'll treat you better, but everybody has some hockey fans and some bad apples. Please post your honest experience next week.

You can stay up in the north bar of the ralph until 1:00 am.

I'm not sure how it'll work on Saturday as there are high school games after the UMD-UND game -- don't know if they'll ask you to leave once the game is finished.

Main streets/road in GF:

north/south are 42nd Street, Columbia road and Washington

east/west are Gateway Dr (aka Hwy 2), Demers and 32nd Ave

if you're on those 6 streets you'll find pretty much everything you'll need (The Ralph, food & drink establishments, hotel)

Columbia Road : The Ralph (north end); Green Mill with Borrowed Bucks bar next door; Applebees; Buffalo Wild Wings; both on S. Columbia near the mall

42nd Street: Dagwoods (smoke free bar with food)

Washington: generally everything -- restaurants and fast food

Hwy 2/Gateway: The Ralph; road to Duluth; Fire Island Grill & Bar; dominos

Demers: downtown GF: Bonzers; 2 blocks north of Demers on 3rd Street is Joe Dimaggio's

downtown EGF: on the boardwalk: Blue Moose; Applebees; Whitey's; Mike's Pizza; a bar or two

32nd Ave S (by the mall) Grizzly's; Branigan's

The only place you "need" to swing by not on one of those 6 streets is The Red Pepper -- located on University Ave, 2 blocks east of N. Washington.

Pretty much the exact same info as everyone else.

Oh, forgot about the cafe at the Big Sioux Truckstop -- intersection of 32nd Ave S and I-29 -- Zudnic, BC fan from USCHO, stopped there to ride the "semi" ride game -- decent food too.

Well, the UMD Super Fans made it back safely to Duluth.

We had a great time in Grand Forks. Wish we could've been in town for two nights instead of one.

We arrived in Grand Forks 1.5 hours before gametime Saturday. We went straight to the Ralph so we could look around. We went to the bar to see our standing room tickets. We were informed that we had to stand 10 feet back from the railing where we couldn't even see the ice. We paid $22 per ticket for that?!?! So we were pretty upset right away. We traveled around the arena, taking time to yell at the students that had to get there so very early. Finally we found an usher that would hook us up with some seats in the top row of general admission next to the band. We owe that usher a lot. He was one of the reasons we had a great time this weekend.

Saturday night we went to El Roco, played blackjack, drank $1.75 Morgans, and danced with the ladies until close. Then we headed to an after party before getting to the hotel at 4am.

Woke up Sunday and started drinking at 9am. We headed to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch and were informed they couldn't sell beer to us til 12 noon. That was suprising. We ate and drank and headed to the Ralph. We were hooked up with the same seats again. We had fun cheering on our winning Bulldogs.

The Ralph is obviously a very nice arena. I do believe the Sioux would have swept the series in the Old Ralph. That place had atmosphere. I was disappointed with the atmosphere at the New Ralph, but I realize with such a large buliding it's hard to generate noise.

Didn't meet a lot of Sioux fans, but the ones we did were very nice.

We enjoyed eating cupcakes in the lobby too. ???

Thanks for the great weekend - maybe see you in the Final Five!

beersong: That's the deadest I've ever seen the new Ralph. I think the afternoon games (and the state hockey tournament taking some energy out of the Grand Forks folks, Central and Red River played in the final) really hurt the crowd.

You guys were by far the most annoying fans ever. You guys didn't shut up once during the game and that's not an understatement.

Sorry, I didn't know we couldn't cheer. We'll keep that in mind next year, when we'll be there 3 times. ???

Sorry, I didn't know we couldn't cheer. We'll keep that in mind next year, when we'll be there 3 times. ???

Yeah, they don't allow cheering for either team in the new arena. The students aren't even supposed to stand anymore. I believe they announced the students are being moved next year, so the students just stood the whole game Sunday. Those in charge decided money was more important than atmoshpere and winning. I had a good time in Duluth last year, maybe I'll have to make it there again some time. The students run around the whole arena every time they score. If the students got out of their seats here they would probably get kicked out.

C'mon, guys. Had the games gone the way of the Sioux, nothing the Bulldogs fans did or said would have bothered any of us, unless they'd thrown a second puck onto the ice a la the Mankato bunch. For the last two months, our team has been down so you know we're going to get kicked and taunted by fans of the other teams. Just suck it up for now. Our turn to do the kicking and the taunting will come again.

C'mon, guys. Had the games gone the way of the Sioux, nothing the Bulldogs fans did or said would have bothered any of us, unless they'd thrown a second puck onto the ice a la the Mankato bunch. For the last two months, our team has been down so you know we're going to get kicked and taunted by fans of the other teams. Just suck it up for now. Our turn to do the kicking and the taunting will come again.

amen