SiouxSports.com Forum

Visiting Grand Forks

beersong

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say for one when I was in Colorado Springs watching the game and all their fans stood up after they scored and did the chant together it was very impressive. Us as UND fans might not like the sounds of M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A or any of the other schools, but you have to admit it gets their fans fired up and brings everyone together. We have a great arena and everyone sits on their hands until it's too late. It may sound hokey, but the Red River fans were also impressive with their chants at the high school tourney this past week. Just my 2 cents!

i think beersong will be oftly quiet when we beat them when we play them in the quaterfinals

I don't know how to be "oftly" quiet, but I do know how to be awfully quiet. And we are never quiet - even when UMD is losing.

SoSiouxMe - just stand and clap and yell, I'm sure the students would appreciate it.

The following is my recap from the UMD vs. UMN Women's Championship which took place in GF at the Ralph on Saturday evening.

Good hockey -- two different styles -- the gopher team is speedy and small compared to the bulldogs, but the bulldogs have the complete package. Their (bulldogs) size is impressive, but as impressive is how fluid they are. While I'd say the gophers are quicker, the bulldogs are fast, and add in their size, it is easy to see how they went up 4-1 by the end of the 2nd period. The gophers showed great heart in the 3rd, while on a 2 man advantage pp they scored to make it 4-2 with 11:31 left and then with one in the box that continuing pp they scored with 11:15 left to make it 4-3. The gophers had the bulldogs on their heels. #20 Natalie Darwitz for the gophers is awesome - fast and feisty - she was tenacious. The bulldogs, however netted their own pp goal with 7:42 left in the 3rd to seal a 5-3 victory. The goaltenders for both teams were solid in net -- the goalie for the bulldogs, Patricia Sautter (a senior) was a member of the Swiss Olympic team and the goalie for the gophers Jody Horak (a sophomore) has a .941 save %. One of the scarier moments for me was when Sautter dove out to try to stop a break away - beautiful play, however she was way beyond the dots for the face off circles and was pretty unprotected and I'd spent the morning on USCHO reading about the Joe Exter/Patrick Eaves accident -- it all happens so fast and in this situation there was no impact - beautiful play by the goalie but she could've really been "pasted". Tourney MVP was Caroline Ouellette from UMD (only a sophomore) wow is she good, also the team captain Maria Rooth (senior) really made things happen. Some of the highlights for me:

1) in the 1st period one of the players was "checked" (supposedly no checking in women's hockey) into the door for the penalty box and the door swung open - she had pretty good balance as she didn't fall in, but it was close.

2) it just wouldn't be a game at the Ralph without someone yelling at the ref -- in this case it was a "You suck Sheppherd" -- since there were only 642 of us in the arena it carried pretty well

3) some things never change: 5:02 left in the 2nd period and UMN #19 AFTER THE WHISTLE took about 3 full strides, skated into the goal crease and gave a shot to the UMD goalie -- (we were 4 rows up in the corner -- it was pretty evident) -- she circled toward the gopher bench but UMD's #12 and #6 went after her -- one of them popped her in the back of the head -- thought we were going to have a big melee right there -- 4 roughing penalties and I think #19 also received an instigating penalty

4) one penalty for checking -- but there were some nice "non" checks administered -- as my spouse said, how do you call this stuff as it was a pretty physical game all around

5) xenophobes present -- 1/2 dozen gopher boys chanting USA and other stuff -- uh, guys, you have 4 Canadians -- maybe chant "North Americans" or "bullfrogs" (ie frogs is a term the french don't like so ...... since there are french canadians on the bulldogs.... (Ouellette I'm assuming is French-Canadian) -- UMD does have 3 from Finland, 1 Swiss, and 2 from Sweden)

6) goalie for UMN will lay down the lumber when necessary -- UMD is pretty big and physical and she wasn't afraid to mark her territory -- gave a couple good cross checks after the whistle to a UMD player kneeling in front of her -- I had no problem with that as we've seen too many UND goalies get run so good for her to mark her space -- after she did that she tapped the player on the leg with her goalie stick (my spouse thought she was pulling a Hauser, but I think it was more like a "sorry I have to nail you in the back if you crowd me, but good play tap on the leg", but the ref did give her a look like what are you doing)