SiouxSports.com Forum

Visiting Grand Forks

beersong

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beersong,

Did you ever feel threatened at our arena because you were yelling for your team?

I know I was one of those UND fans that was hoping you guys would shut up but hey you can yell all you want for your team.

The reason that I'm asking is that I've been to a number of arenas cheering for the Sioux. I've had some people from various towns tell me to shut up even an old lady in Duluth but I want to make sure that you did not feel like someone was going to kick your butt just because you were yelling for your team.

I guess I'd like to hear more on your thoughts on the arena realizing that it was dead most of the time Sunday plus your reaction to how you were treated in Grand Forks.

Beersong,

I've had some people from various towns tell me to shut up even an old lady in Duluth but I want to make sure that you did not feel like someone was going to kick your butt just because you were yelling for your team.

Funny you mention this. I bought a ticket at the DECC last year. I sat in the middle of the old folks section. The people right next to me were all pretty great, but the old gal and geezer in front of me were big fans. Well, the gal anyway. The geezer didn't move a muscle for the whole game. The old gal turned around and very clearly warned me away from cheering for my team too loudly.

I'm not complaining, it was pretty funny. But she WOULD have kicked my ass. ???

Beersong,

Did you ever feel threatened at our arena because you were yelling for your team?

I know I was one of those UND fans that was hoping you guys would shut up but hey you can yell all you want for your team.

The reason that I'm asking is that I've been to a number of arenas cheering for the Sioux. I've had some people from various towns tell me to shut up even an old lady in Duluth but I want to make sure that you did not feel like someone was going to kick your butt just because you were yelling for your team.

I guess I'd like to hear more on your thoughts on the arena realizing that it was dead most of the time Sunday plus your reaction to how you were treated in Grand Forks.

Well, we've been on every road trip this year except for Denver and Alaska.

I would say that the fans in Grand Forks were either the nicest fans, or else they just had nothing to say to a bunch of fans of the winning team. Only a few people even fired a comment back at us - most just ignored us. Every other place (St. Cloud, Mankato, Madison, Houghton, Bemidji) has had fans that jeered us the whole time, or tried to out-cheer us. I'm sure the students at the Ralph were loud, but the arena being so big, we couldn't hear them.

To answer your question, I never felt "threatened." At the old Ralph I always felt "threatened" when I wore my Gopher jersey there (before I came to UMD). People threw pop and candy at me, and I think that's great. It's all in good fun. Obviously it wouldn't be quite as fun if I was an older person, but as a student it just doesn't get better than that. So I think some good 'ol ribbing is great for a college atmosphere.

The people of Grand Forks treated us well - almost too well for cheering for the enemy. ???

Hey, Beersong.....Since you were with the group in the corner by the band chanting "Oftly Quiet?" I must say you guys are creative cause that was one of the funniest things I heard all year, but the sad thing is it is true. That building should be loud as can be and I think it's a problem with the student section. They need to be more vocal. I remember the old Ralph and the students would just let the other team have it. They should try to be more like that again. They just seem tame now.

Beersong, I saw you guys walking around the arena on Saturday, and gladly joined in the singing of "F the Bulldogs." ;) Welcome. You guys were pretty funny, though, and I like it when other team's fans can come to our arena and have a good time cheering for their team. I've always had good experiences at other arenas I've been to (Minnesota, Duluth, and St. Cloud). I just hope our team can shut the fans up, which unfortunately they didn't do this weekend. I would have come up and said hi, but I figured 9 times out of 10 you were going to be in the bar, and that's too many damn steps to climb up when I can't get into the bar. ;)

There was actually a brave UMD fan that sat right in the middle of the student section on Saturday, and when he stood up and cheered after Duluth scored, he was discovered and ridiculed. He showed up again on Sunday (I'm thinking he was friends with some UND students because he was talking to some people), but after being yelled at continuously and hit with a paper airplane, he packed up and left. He seemed to take it well, though, since he was laughing the whole time.

Wantagh, my mom came up to the games this weekend, and when I talked to her tonight she laughed and said she heard the students saying some naughty words. ;) I agree though, the only time the students ever seem to get rabid is when the refs start making stupid calls, which unfortunately is more often than not it seems. ???

The problem with the student section started when they told us all that stuff last year that we could and could not do. It ended up seperating the students into 2 factions. Now instead of having a united section with united students, you have two different sections that don't work together very well. Hopefully next year when they are down in the corner, they will become united again. ;) What's the story with that any ways? What sections are the students gonna have? 106 and 107? 110 and 111?

And no one knows the good cheers! I try teaching people, but no one is interested. ???

As much as I hate to say this...diggler has a point (I never thought I would agree with diggler). As part of the last class to watch a season at the old Englestad, I realize I am part of a dying breed. Unfortunately, with two years of not standing for the whole game, the students who were new during this time will not know any better. I don't think (however, I hope I am wrong) that there will ever be the same atmosphere in The Ralph (new) as there was at Englestad (old).

a note to beersong...last year my friends and I went to the games in Duluth and we had no problems with cheering for our team (especially Saturday night), so don't feel guilty about doing it here. There were several comments in the student section of disgust that you guys were louder than us (the disgust being towards us). And you better believe we'll see you at the Final Five (At least I'll be there). ???

And diggler...I belive we're getting sections 103 and 104 (directly behind the net)

One more note to Wantagh...At the old arena, students controlled almost half...now, we're split up into two levels and are just a handful of the arena...the problem lies with the "fans" from the Grand Forks community, They cheer for goals and thats about it. With the size of the arena, if EVERYONE joined in (like in St. Cloud) that place would be off the hook and the Sioux would be unstoppable at home (notice how loud it got when Boche scored 9 seconds after Parise...that's how much potential atmosphere that place has). But yes the student section was more merciless at the old arena, and it needs to get that way again.

I sit with the non-students (and some players' parents) in sec. 114. I am loud. I stand and scream every time "Welcome to the Jungle" starts to blast--that's suppose to be the rallying song for noise-making but most people in the arena haven't a clue. I yell the entire game: "Get a stick on it!" "Stand him up!" "Wheel, Spee!" etc., etc. I clap and sing along to "Stand Up & Cheer" & "Fight on Sioux." I can't understand paying good money to watch a hockey game then finding nothing to get vocal about except the scoring of a goal. The silent majority at Engelstad are missing out on the complete experience of being a Sioux hockey fan. Maybe our leather seats are just too comfortable to get up off of more than a couple of times per game.

Are some of the non-students sitting on their hands? Yes. I'm trying to fix that in my section. ???

But the student sections are not "without sin" either. I see students on the cell phone, or hittin' on babes, during play. What is that about?

Back in my day (uh-oh, here we go ....) we didn't stand for the whole game but we were louder sitting than that current crop that stands is when they stand.

I'm yet to hear students ride a visiting goalie. If you're in the corners next year, maybe you can get on them a little better. We used to have so much fun with Minnesota's John Blue. ;)

I think there are two problems to overcome at the new Ralph. The first is that starting last season, there were problably just as many "newbie" Sioux fans as there were regulars. The second is that many of the "neighborhoods" in the old Ralph were broken up. It's a lot easier to stand up, cheer and get rowdy when you know those around you are doing it, too. It will probably take a few years for the crowd to "gell" and the atmosphere to reach its full potential.

Also, as the wise old philospher Ryan Bayda once told me, you can't expect the crowd to cheer when the team isn't giving the fans anythng to cheer about. ???

What's the story with that any ways? What sections are the students gonna have? 106 and 107? 110 and 111?

The students are going to be moved to sections 112 and 113 where I currently sit and which happens to be the two sections directly behind the goal UND defends twice.

The people from those sections will be moved to 108 and 109 and will have an option of getting into 111, if they so desire.

This information is coming directly from Roger Thomas and will be announced to the public within a month. According to RT it is a done deal.

Also, I was told my Rob Bollinger that the REA will install nets on each end of the rink, but likely will not do so until the 2004-05 season.

I cannot imagine this infomation will thrill the students who will not only be moved but will also eventually have to watch the game through netting.

Oh that's a brilliant move. Let's put the students where the opposing goalie is only once. ??? I was all for moving the students behind the net UND shoots at twice. This however is just stupid. This will also break up the student section. Even though upper level people were never loud anyways, this isn't going to help matters any. It will never be the same because many people don't want it that way. They don't want it loud and crazy, because that means they might have their precious beer knocked over or something. Very frustrating. ;)

I think there are two problems to overcome at the new Ralph. The first is that starting last season, there were problably just as many "newbie" Sioux fans as there were regulars. The second is that many of the "neighborhoods" in the old Ralph were broken up. It's a lot easier to stand up, cheer and get rowdy when you know those around you are doing it, too. It will probably take a few years for the crowd to "gell" and the atmosphere to reach its full potential.

Also, as the wise old philospher Ryan Bayda once told me, you can't expect the crowd to cheer when the team isn't giving the fans anythng to cheer about. ???

I think a lot of those newbie fans will either become good hockey fans or will not renew their tickets. I'm sure there are a lot of real hockey fans on the waiting list. Everyone talks about the atmosphere at the old Ralph. Well, when the team wasn't playing well at the old Ralph, the atmosphere was pretty pathetic, too. Everyone only remembers the good times.

Well, when the team wasn't playing well at the old Ralph, the atmosphere was pretty pathetic, too. Everyone only remembers the good times.

Bingo.

Had the fifth goal Sunday been scored by the Sioux, it would have been one of those moments people would remember as another step in turning the new REA into "home."

Ok I am about to reveal myself as a half deaf semi-newbie in hopes that someone can offer help ??? . I started going to games at the old Ralph in '96 and now have season tickets. I try to get into the cheering I stand, clap, yell etc. but the majority of the time I and the others around me can't tell what the students are yelling. By the time we figure it out they're done or were yelling something I wouldn't necessarily want to anyway. A little less F*** and sucks $hit would probably help with a lot of the fans especially those with kids sitting beside them. What the solution is I don't know. Maybe having someone tell me the standard cheers would help. I can't very well help carryout a tradition I don't know about. I seem to be the one telling the 4 other people I regularly go with what is going on so it is like the blind leading the blind. I love Sioux hockey and would like to be part of a more involved crowd but don't know how to go about it. I would imagine I am not the only one. Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe having a student rep. or alum familiar with traditions do spots with Katie to educate the newbies and give everyone else some "practice" would help.

In a related note. For those that watched the road CC series (painful camera work) what did you think of the sieving to the music after scoring? I think that would help get more of the crowd into things as well.

sorry about the book!

A little less F*** and sucks $hit would probably help with a lot of the fans especially those with kids sitting beside them.

NUMEROUS times this has been mentioned in the last 5 or 6 years. Especially the juvenile M-I-C-K-E-Y chant. The students don't seem to get it. And I don't want to hear the same old "Well, if they didn't tell us what we can and can't do..." crap. The students need to obtain some creativity somewhere and discover that they can indeed be loud and obnoxious without cussing every other word. It's not that difficult. When I was a student, I sure don't remember hearing all of the crap that is heard from the students today. The most annoying thing from back then was the "Sioux, Yeah yeah" "Yeah, Sioux Sioux" chant. ???

And, dirty, it is a little early to be whining about where your seats are going to be next year. I'm not going to say schmidtdoggydog is wrong, but I find it a little hard to believe that they are going to simply move people that are in the Varsity club level ($300) of the Fighting Sioux Club into prime seats at center ice, when the people directly across the arena from them are Director's Club level and higher ($2500 plus). If that happens, it will piss off more people and this stupid controversy will never end. They'll end up pricing more and more people out of seats in the lower bowl. If the students are moved, I am convinced that they are going to re-seat the entire thing. To obtain a seat in 108 and 109, I'm guessing that there will be a contribution of the Coach's Club level at a minimum. It is all speculation at this point, though. As schmidtdoggydog said, an announcement will be coming shortly.

Just to clarify, I spoke with RT last week and he is the individual who is in charge of making the decision to move or not move the students and, if moved, to where.

He assured me it is a done deal and indicated that it may be a one-year deal, but didn't specify. I have a hard time believing also that suddenly I will have prime, center-ice seats although my monetary contribution would not be considered large.

I questioned him about this issue and he reiterated that it will be a straight swap, sections 108 and 109 to 112 and 113.

Of course I will not get too comfortable in the center-ice seats because I know this is an issue that is far from resolved, but since I heard it from the horse's mouth, so to speak, it is hard for me to be overly skeptical at this point. However, between now and whenever they make their statement public, things could change and I could end up with egg on my face.

I also agree that sooner or later the entire arena will be reseated, but it does not appear that it will happen prior to next season.

We tried the no cussing thing last year...all it did was divide the student section, and we were still the only ones cheering. If you have gone to any away games you'll realize that EVERY student section cheers the same way we do. That's how we cheer. As far as the newbies are concerned, if you don't know a cheer and want to...ask a regular, we'll tell you. We were in your position once, and had to have older fans show us the way. Also, sieving to the music is an SCSU, Wisc., and CC thing. And if you've seen a Wisconsin game, most of the crowd does not do it. And there are only about 5500 and 7000 seats at SCSU and CC's arena respectively, so the effect is seems greater than it actully is.

Also, trust me when I tell you that the students do see the few fans standing up trying to get their section going and we appreciate it.

I'm not gonna be a student next year, so I'm not whining. I'm just saying that it is silly the way things are g

done. How come we didn't hear about this at all until this weekend and now it is a done deal? What the heck?

The students don't swear nearly as much as they did at the old arena and there are original cheers being created. They don't happen overnight, but they are happening. The go back to the woods cheer is great, you could replace the $h*t with another word, crapppy or something, but that might offend some people too. I seldom participate in the swearing cheers anyways, cause they are kinda silly. I don't have a problem with people not jumping in on what the students are doing. If you are loud and seem to care, good for you. The people who annoy me are the ones who don't seem to care. I'm probably one of the causes of the problems of the student section being quiet though. I get so angry and frustrated at games, that many times I'm too mad to cheer. Maybe that is the problem with many of the other people, they are too frustrated to cheer. ;)

Someone needs to take a leadership role in the student section and all of the students need to work together. The problem with our sieve cheer is that people do it WAY to fast. You throw in that dopey band drummer and the chant is terrible. ???

The CC sieve cheer was the most annoying thing ever. It is more annoying then the gophers and their stupid Minnesota cheer. It is like the Barbie girl song and it nearly drove me insane by Saturday night. I didn't want CC to score the next weekend against the Gophers because then I would have to listen to that stupid cheer again. I hate it. Therefore it is very effective. We should steal it. ;)