SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Huskies

GBpakrzz

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you have to love when he announces "Heeeere come you HUSKY cheerleaders!"

Yeah I think we might try to hit up duluth this year, and maybe St cloud. Ive only been to minnesota state so far. I think the big step will be the gopher hole, not for any other reason that that annoying chant and I hate the color gold. But when I do go ill probably where head to toe green and some protective gear since some of their fans are 'hostile and abusive' Like the final five....wow! you run into the wrong gopher crowd and you feel like your going to get the beat down, specially when they lose. :blush:

Who has been to St Cloud for a hockey game over the past few years? Im curious. I would maybe like to go to the game in March and I want to know what the crowd is like? Are they worse than gopher fans or a fun crowd or what? I guess the only thing i've heard is that it compares to our old arena but I've heard nothing about how they treat UND fans? Anyone care to share any info would be great!

My friend and I went to the series there last year. It was nice having a Sioux section and not having to be surrounded by the other teams' fans. Walking around the arena during intermissions was pretty annoying. All the St. Cloud fans we saw or walked by had to say something about how we sucked, and our response every time was "Who's winning??" I believe we even made the comment in front of a bunch of them "Where's the leather seats?" and "These seats are not very comfortable!" We walked in front of the student section a few times, and got lots of glares, boos, etc. We also got the whole "We swept you at home" and all that crap from all the SCSU fans. That's ok though, I guess we're getting used to having to defend our team haha!

We plan on going again this year. Hope to see you all there!! GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!

My friend and I went to the series there last year. It was nice having a Sioux section and not having to be surrounded by the other teams' fans. Walking around the arena during intermissions was pretty annoying. All the St. Cloud fans we saw or walked by had to say something about how we sucked, and our response every time was "Who's winning??" I believe we even made the comment in front of a bunch of them "Where's the leather seats?" and "These seats are not very comfortable!" We walked in front of the student section a few times, and got lots of glares, boos, etc. We also got the whole "We swept you at home" and all that crap from all the SCSU fans. That's ok though, I guess we're getting used to having to defend our team haha!

We plan on going again this year. Hope to see you all there!! GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!

So is getting tickets difficult? Do you request to sit in the 'sioux section' or how does it all work?

We bought our tickets at the Ralph, that's how we ended up in the "Sioux section". For the games last year, it didn't seem like they were too tough to get. I didn't think that the place was sold out. Even if you can't get seats in the Sioux section, it isn't full, you can sit where you want. Hopefully that helped some!

Tallied some stuff up.

Chris Porter has an outside chance to get WCHA Offensive Player of the Week with his 2g, 1a performance this weekend. His goals were a game winner and a game tying goal respectively.

More likely, though, the WCHA will spread the award around and give it to Travis Morin of MSU Mankato (1g 3a leads the WCHA in points this weekend).

Also, Anthony Grieco will probably get an Honorable Mention this week in Freshman POTW. He gave up only 3 goals on 53 shots this weekend (only Matt Zaba did better.. he faced the same amount of shots and gave up only 2 goals). MOre likely though, they'll either give it to UMD forward Jordan Fulton or once again to Kyle Okposo. Both had 3 point weekends.

EDIT: Or they could do something entirely different. It's not all that unusual to see them go an entirely different direction.

My problem with the Porter call was that it was clearly an intention penalty to prevent a legitimate scoring opportuniy. Apparently that is the smart play. With under 30 seconds left in overtime I'd be sure to tell the players to hack/slash/tackle, do whatever necessary if there is the potential for a scoring chance. If someone is coming down the ice one on one with 20 seconds left in OT the smart play would be to take no chances and take the guy down.

That play probably wouldn't have been a PS in the first period, but it was absolutley an intentional tackle to preserve a point. In essence there was no penalty because of the time situation. Both alternatives, 2 minute minor or PS are not equitable for the situation, but if anyone should suffer a negative consequence it should be the team which committed the penalty. They were given a benefit for committing an intentional penalty. I guess that's just a crappy turn of events for the Sioux.

My problem with the Porter call was that it was clearly an intention penalty to prevent a legitimate scoring opportuniy. Apparently that is the smart play. With under 30 seconds left in overtime I'd be sure to tell the players to hack/slash/tackle, do whatever necessary if there is the potential for a scoring chance. If someone is coming down the ice one on one with 20 seconds left in OT the smart play would be to take no chances and take the guy down.

That play probably wouldn't have been a PS in the first period, but it was absolutley an intentional tackle to preserve a point. In essence there was no penalty because of the time situation. Both alternatives, 2 minute minor or PS are not equitable for the situation, but if anyone should suffer a negative consequence it should be the team which committed the penalty. They were given a benefit for committing an intentional penalty. I guess that's just a crappy turn of events for the Sioux.

You're exactly right and I think a good case could be made with the rulebook that that should have been a penalty shot. Porter had much more speed than the SCSU player and would have had a break-a-way.

But....That's not the way it's called.

The fact that you might call it differently at the end of the game is a good idea perhaps, but that'd call for a major rule change which I don't see happening.

The fact of the matter is that we need to improve the officiating of the rules we have before we get too involved in changing the rules.

You're exactly right and I think a good case could be made with the rulebook that that should have been a penalty shot. Porter had much more speed than the SCSU player and would have had a break-a-way.

But....That's not the way it's called.

The fact that you might call it differently at the end of the game is a good idea perhaps, but that'd call for a major rule change which I don't see happening.

The fact of the matter is that we need to improve the officiating of the rules we have before we get too involved in changing the rules.

Wasn't Woog talking about something similar at the end of the Friday night game when Goligoski took that 5 minute major? Someone was telling me how Woog was saying something about Goli should sit out the next night as well since he wasn't even going to be serving a full five minutes because of the end of the game.

OK, at the risk of being called 'buckysieve,' am I the only Sioux fan who agreed with the Oshie 'no goal' and thought that it appeared that Porter had already lost an edge at the time of the penalty with 1 second left in the game?

didn't look to me that he'd lost an edge, simply dragged down, negating a good scoring chance; can't say that i've seen similar called penalty shots in the past, however.

Oshie no goal or Toews no goal?

Nothing compared to the Adam show with the Mcgregor no goal changed to a goal after Scottie complained changed back to a no goal when Lucia went Gwoz'. Guess it shows which coach had more power over the most incompetent referee in college hockey.

Wasn't Woog talking about something similar at the end of the Friday night game when Goligoski took that 5 minute major? Someone was telling me how Woog was saying something about Goli should sit out the next night as well since he wasn't even going to be serving a full five minutes because of the end of the game.

I would agree that that last minute stuff should count against the next game. Otherwise you're encouraging stuff at the end of the game.

Case in point would be the incident at the end of the overtime Saturday. If the guy Duncan (goon) went after threw a punch to end the game he should sit the next game. If he didn't then Duncan should have.

That'd end that stuff right away.

I would think a good rule change would be if there are less that 30 seconds left in OT ( not regulation) and a penelty is taken in the defensive zone a penelty shot should be granted.

The Toews goal should not have been allowed. Clearly a kick. Even if it deflects off the goalie it is still not a goal. Similar to a high stick or hand pass that deflects off a goalie or D-man and goes in. Also, I'm not agruing that penalty shot hould have been awarded, just that it was a crappy situation and probably the correct call was made.

As to the Minnesota- UMD debacle, Adams should be immediately fired for his handling of the situation. I guess the coaches are now allowed to completely show up the ref and are actually encouraged to do so because apparently swearing at them can get them to change a call. What a joke. I couldn't tell what was the proper call, but Adams has to made a decision and stick to it.

As to the Minnesota- UMD debacle, Adams should be immediately fired for his handling of the situation. I guess the coaches are now allowed to completely show up the ref and are actually encouraged to do so because apparently swearing at them can get them to change a call. What a joke. I couldn't tell what was the proper call, but Adams has to made a decision and stick to it.

Adam could not have handled the situation worse IMO. It took 14 minutes for him to make the final decision and that should never happen. The correct call was eventually made which is the most important thing but even from sitting in the stands it was obvious that he changed his mind each time after talking to Lucia and Sandelin. Like I said, the correct call was made. The "scouting tape" which is shot from the press box clearly showed that Mcgregor was on the ice with two seconds left on the penalty. There's just no excuse for it taking as long as it did.

The "replay" rule should be simplified to being only called on to determine whether a puck crosses the line. Any crease violations, goalie interference, kicking the puck and and any other suspect moves should either be called on the ice or not called.

The 14 minute Adams fiasco may have occured anyway because he is a moron, but the 8 minute review of a Gopher goal vs. CC would have not occured.

Adam is a joke. Sheperd is worse. Mason is the worst. Who does that leave?

You're setting another trend by adding a new term to the lexicon, as in: Is that photo real or has it been magnadoodled? :blush:

1393489737_l.jpg

In photo seen above, the avatar works from home to magnadoodle the Sioux uniforms in all game pictures, so that they are PC enough to be posted on the SCSU website.

PS-Please note blanket.

Who has been to St Cloud for a hockey game over the past few years? Im curious. I would maybe like to go to the game in March and I want to know what the crowd is like? Are they worse than gopher fans or a fun crowd or what? I guess the only thing i've heard is that it compares to our old arena but I've heard nothing about how they treat UND fans? Anyone care to share any info would be great!

I've never had any problems going to SCSU for games.

Go.